Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-11-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Water Heater Light

I have a 2004, 29' Minnie Winnie. I have a panel on the wall between my kitchen & bath that has the water heater on/off switch, level checks switch and generator on/off switch.

Normally, when I turn on the water heater, a the switch lights up a bright green. A great reminder for me to turn it off! Yesterday the light went out - the water heater still turns on and off with the switch, but I would really like to have the light back.

Anyone know why and how to correct this?

Thanks!

ReAnn
reanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

The lights can burn out. If you can verified the WH is working properly, the light likely has died. If the light is actually in the switch itself (a rocker switch and the light is in the rocker), replacing the swithch should do it. If the light is in the switch panel but not in the switch rocker itself, you may be able to replace the light itself. My water heater switch did not have a light at all. I bought a pak of 2 "neon" lights at Radio Shack ...small, round, about the size of a nail head ... and wired one into the WH switch and one into the enginer heager switch.

Now, about 3 yr later, the enginer heater light is still very strong but the WH light that gets used way more is sometimes pretty weak. Next time I will look for a small LED rather than the neon.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Paul, I unscrewed the panel and there is no actual bulb, so guessing the rocker switch has a light in it. Where would you suggest I get a new switch to replace it? There are several RV dealerships in the area, no Winnebago, but this would seem to be a rather general-type switch.

ReAnn
Old 01-11-2010, 10:27 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

ReAnn
Here are a couple of links to switches. There are a couple of Green Lighted Switches that may be the correct fit.
Sigma Electrical Switches
http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/p996.html
Dick
Old 01-11-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

i just had the same problem. I just bought the replacement w/h lighted rocker from a local Winnie dealer - $10. Any dealer will ship one to you. You get the rocker only, which has the light inside, and you snap it into the larger brown (standard) Winnebago switch plate and hook up the 3 wires. It's easy. Of course you can use any 12v switch if it has enough "plate" to cover the hole in the panel. If you want more info on R&R, post back or send me a PM. Hope this helps a little....
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Local Winnie dealer ... or I buy most of my parts from Lichtsinn Motors in Forest City. I don't know why, but Lichtsinn can normally ship the right part to me plus shipping cheaper than a local dealer can sell it to me ...if there IS a local dealer. Call them at (800) 343-6255 and have your coach s/n number ready so they can verify exactly the part you need.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks guys! One of the maintenance men came in and took a look at the panel today and yes, it's a lite rocker switch. I will most certainly pick one up and I saw I could easily replace it myself.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Just replaced the light switch on my coach. Three bucks from NAPA.
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:33 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The bulb in our switch burnt out three tomes before I finally replaced it with a LED-based equivalent from Radio Shack. It took a little dubbing though. According to the RV parts dealers, it's the heat that kills the bulb. He said they weren't designed for long-term use. Could be. In any case, since I replaced it with the LED switch, its worked perfectly for over a year.

Jack