Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Water Heater

I have a 2004 Journey with an Atwood Water.

Due to family situations, I am now just dewinterizing the RV.
I cannot get hot water flow in the normal position of the water bypass valve.

I have not hooked up to electricity or ran the genny, so there would not be HOT water. I am not talking about HOT water, but hot water flow.

When the Water Heater Bypass Valve is in the bypass position, I get good flow through cold or hot faucets.
When I place the Water heater Bypass Valve to the normal position (water flowing through the water heater), I do not get flow out of hot water faucets.
When I switch the Water heater Bypass Valve from Bypass to Normal, I don't hear water flowing into the Water Heater, I get not flow and the water heater does not seem to fill or it fills slowly.
Unless there is something else I am missing, I pretty much have narrowed it down to the Water heater Bypass Valve or the Water Heater.

When I switch the Water heater Bypass Valve from Normal to Bypass, the hose jumps, and it appears that the Valve iw working. Any suggestions

Jim
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Put the valve in the normal position and open the pressure valve to see if water flows out. This will release any pressure and tell you if something else is wrong.it is a start but give the heater a chance to fill.
Schoolsout2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Try tapping on the check valve, sounds like it may be sticking closed.
PORCHDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Do you have the electric bypass solenoid valve or has it been converted to a manual bypass?

If it's still the electric valve, they are notorious for not working or leaking. Swan Industries actually quit offering the electric version because of all the problems, they just aren't exercised enough to keep them working properly.

Replacing the electric version with a manual one is usually the best alternative.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

must be you check value

Check this thread

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/no-hot-water-pressure-need-help-122308-2.html
rvGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I am pretty sure that it is the check Valve. Good water flow from the hot side in bypass but no flow in normal. The water heater fills so i am pretty sure that the Normal/Bypass Valve is working. Can someone tell me where the check valve is on a 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W, and how I can access it. I tried looking it up on line but will keep trying unless someone has fixed one before and can tell me where and how to access it. I will tap on it to se if I can free it up. If not, Someone mentioned "gutting it". I assume that means running a drill bit down it to open it up to allow flow until it can be replaced. Thanks
Jim
Old 06-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

If you eliminate the check valve or its action (drilling a hole in the clapper) you will allow hot water to back up into the cold water lines and you will have heated cold water out of the cold water faucets. Not good.
PORCHDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

My check valve were at the back of the water heater (cold water line enter the water heater). I could not find the check value, so call an RV techician. It was hard to get to the check value to replace it. Check under
the MH for a open near the back of the heater. Good Luck!
rvGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:33 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
I am pretty sure that it is the check Valve. Good water flow from the hot side in bypass but no flow in normal. The water heater fills so i am pretty sure that the Normal/Bypass Valve is working. Can someone tell me where the check valve is on a 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W, and how I can access it. I tried looking it up on line but will keep trying unless someone has fixed one before and can tell me where and how to access it. I will tap on it to se if I can free it up. If not, Someone mentioned "gutting it". I assume that means running a drill bit down it to open it up to allow flow until it can be replaced. Thanks
Jim
the long fitting on the right is the inlet check valve. it can be gutted by disassembling it and removing the spring and piston.
the camco pn's i used are are male: 88-2032130, female 23303.

http://www.camco.net/#app=1534&1005-...electedIndex=0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATWOOD H20 HEATER LOCATONS.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	21852  
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Winnebago usually (always?) uses two check valves - one on the input and one on the output. As stated above they are often screwed right into the water heater and look like brass fittings.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all. I love IRV2 and the helpful folks here. All is well, the problem was diagnosed correctly, the fix was easy (well, not too easy) and every thing is working well.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Glad to hear you got it fixed ... enjoy the hot showers ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water