Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

water gravity fill

We have an '07 Voyage which we like very much but for some reason Winnie decided to eliminate the gravity water fill. Has anyone added one? If so where and how? It's tough to imagine why Winnie did this other than to save a couple of dollars, it is a real pain when trying to fill at a state or national park. Help!
Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Craig H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig H View Post
It's tough to imagine why Winnie did this other than to save a couple of dollars, it is a real pain when trying to fill at a state or national park. Help!
I have 3 methods to fill a fresh water tank.
  • First and the easiest is to use a city water hookup.
  • Second, I have a gravity feed which I have used perhaps 3 or 4 times "maybe" in over 7 years of ownership.
  • Third, I carry 3 - 7 gallon water containers. (when I need to) I use the winterizing valve to draw fresh water into the holding tank from the anti freeze siphon hose. It works everytime and I know you have one of those. This is the method I use to add water when I am dry camping. I place a container on a folding step stool, insert the hose, turn the selector to tank fill and throw the pump switch. Repeat as necessary. I'll do this about 4 times and we have a 100 gallon tank.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

water fill

thanks for #3 Driver, I'll give it a try, thanks
Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig H View Post
thanks for #3 Driver, I'll give it a try, thanks
PS: Don't forget to turn the valve at the top of the siphon hose in the direction of the hose !
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Not to argue, but for discussion purposes only, I've got the same 3 methods that DriVer has and I'd list them in order of ease to do as this:
1. Gravity fill- probably do it this way 99 out of 100 times. It's so easy to just put the end of my filler hose into the gravity feed.
2. City water hook up method, more work to screw the hose into the city fill fitting than to just stick it into the gravity fill.
3. Syphon method, I've never done this for filliing with fresh water, and I hope I never have to, it sounds like a lot of work, but good to know it can be done this way if really needed.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

gravity fill

Sorry Easyrider, but my rig doesn't have a gravity fill, that's the problem.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Right you are! Giving that and trying to keep the "work" part out of the equation as much as possible, using DriVers idea with the syphon method and a clean container that would fit in your pump bay it may be possible to run a water hose to your container and fill the container while at the same time run your pump to syphon it into your motorhome at the same time, thus not having to carry the water to your rig. We've got a 33v Itasca which I think would be similar to yours. Tomorrow I will go out and look things over and see how I would add a gravity feed for water if I needed to.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Ok, I got a chance to look things over in our rv and it didn't look too imposing to do what your trying to do. Our gravity water fill is located behind a little latch door just above the first outside storage door to the left of the passenger side entrance door. The hardest part for me would be getting up the nerve to cut a hole into the side of our mh to mount the door and filler. From there its just a couple of feet of water hose and vent hose to the tank and another fitting to connect everything to the side of the water tank at the top. I looked in the camping world catalog and didn't see the parts you need but I'd be surprised if you didn't find them at a camping world store or other well stocked rv store. Your own Winnebago dealer can probably get you the parts from the factory and even install it if you wanted. I think the labor would be the biggest expense. Like I said in an earlier post we use ours the most and I wouldn't like to be without it and I would try to put one in if I needed to. Good luck!