Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Upgrading or changing water pump

My third shurflo 4.0 is now leaking. Apparently the pump is not rated for continuous use, and this weekend the pump was left on for 3 whole days, now it leaks. I'm now burned out on Shurflo. Any comments regarding a Flojet or an Aquajet pump. What model have you tried? I really don't like the idea of remembering to turn off the pump every time I leave the MH. Thanks all.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynzoo View Post
My third shurflo 4.0 is now leaking. Apparently the pump is not rated for continuous use, and this weekend the pump was left on for 3 whole days, now it leaks. I'm now burned out on Shurflo.
I run a Shureflo 5.7 and I have had good luck with the pump I have. I have been through 2 other 5.7s before the one I have but this one is a keeper. It's been running with no problems for 4 years.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I'm on my 5th or 6th 5.7 since January 2005. I carry a 1.8gpm backup and can change it out in just a few minutes. One lasted almost two years, and one lasted just one month ...some leaked, some refused to run, one would not shut off. Shurflo keeps replacing the 5.7 under warranty, but I may get tired of that someday...
Old 12-31-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I replaced my shurflo 5.7 with a Aquajet RV Variable Speed Water Pump. I would not recommend this pump. It is louder that the Shurflo and does not put the same volume out as the Shurflo.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I'm on my 5th or 6th 5.7 since January 2005. I carry a 1.8gpm backup and can change it out in just a few minutes. One lasted almost two years, and one lasted just one month ...some leaked, some refused to run, one would not shut off. Shurflo keeps replacing the 5.7 under warranty, but I may get tired of that someday...
Your ahead of me Paul, I've only on my 3rd or 4th one since Feb 2004, and this current one is leaking at the head just as the previous one did (it really flooded the compartment before I realized what was happening while boondocking). I'm getting good at replacing them but like you said, I'm getting tired of it as there's too many other things that need my attention.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

To date, Shurflo has not offered any warranty assistance. Don't know how you got so luck. The first pump was original equipment, and I changed it only to improve water pressure. The second pump flooded the compartment, submerging the pump. Since the pump had been under water it was not under warranty. I then drilled a screened exit port in the bottom of the pump compartment. The next 4.0 leaked after having been left powered up, but not running, for about a month. No warranty since it is not rated for continuous power. This pump was left on for the weekend, and is now leaking. Waiting to here from Shurflo, they're on vacation till tomorrow.
We will see, but I am not holding my breath.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have contacted Shurflo via email or phone. The only question they normally ask is what the date on my receipt is, or if I don't have a receipt (and I don't), what the date on the pump body is. Once they said it showed signs of excess backpressure and suggested I get any right angle elbows out of the connections. Other than that, I call, get return info, ship it back to them at my expense, and they ship a replacement.