Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Under Sink Water Filter - Expensive

On my Winnebago Access there is a 3M water filter under the sink. I decided that I would replace it at the beginning of the season. I did some research and it is a 3M A1 filter that only filters out chlorine. The B1 version filters out smaller particles and other stuff link cysts, etc. I did some research and found that these filters are quite expensive.

I was thinking about using a filter that I connect to the hose feeding the RV (thus servicing the whole RV) and not using the under the sink filter. Thoughts? The only downside I can think of is that the under sink filter filters the water coming from the fresh water tank.

Are there alternate brand filters that would work in place of the 3M A1/B1? I don't want to replace the filter mounting hardware though.
StringFellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have whole house sediment filter and a carbon filter in the hose to the unit and filter all of the water into the unit. Anytime we have to fill the water tank, I run all of the water through the filters.

The filters are available from Home Depot or Lowe's and all are much less than the 3m filters. They can assist you in getting the right fittings to connect to your hoses.

Ken
Old 02-02-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have not found any other filters that fit the bayonet of the 3M system.
NukeRef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:27 PM   #4

Filters have improved over the years and Quality costs money. I have a Everpure ADC EV959206 filter under my sink hooked to the cold water line. Everpure EV959206 Shurflo RV Filter - ADC/QC Only $39.99
Using an exterior filter when hooked up to city water is fine but will not be useful if you're parked on the side of the road or boondocking away from an outside water faucet.
If you use a carbon or equivalent to filter all the water before it enters your fresh water tanks, you will be removing the chlorine that kills bacteria and germs resulting in skanky water and the need to drain, flush and sanitize the fresh water tanks more often.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:24 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringFellow View Post
On my Winnebago Access there is a 3M water filter under the sink. I decided that I would replace it at the beginning of the season. I did some research and it is a 3M A1 filter that only filters out chlorine. The B1 version filters out smaller particles and other stuff link cysts, etc. I did some research and found that these filters are quite expensive.

I was thinking about using a filter that I connect to the hose feeding the RV (thus servicing the whole RV) and not using the under the sink filter. Thoughts? The only downside I can think of is that the under sink filter filters the water coming from the fresh water tank.

Are there alternate brand filters that would work in place of the 3M A1/B1? I don't want to replace the filter mounting hardware though.
That setup that I have under my sink is only for the icemaker and yes they cost a bunch. As far as what it filters from, it's what ever you have feeding the coach, be it the potty water tank or the city water. It just taps off of the sink cold water line thru the filter. Camping World does not even carry them and they are expensive but they do a great job of making the ice taste like NOTHING. You can add a whole system filter to the inlet form city water but it won't clean the water you put into your Potty water tank unless you use the potty water fill from city hookup.
The other option is go without, but I would verify that the filter under the sink is not for the ice maker if you have one.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:10 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I use a sediment filter between the spigot and the coach, this was recommended by Winnebago after my check valves went bad and had to be replaced. They said it was pretty commonfor this type of failure if a coach spends much time in Florida,
gmanatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Before you spend the money on a whole house filter look up the specifications of the ones you're interested in. I think you'll find some of them don't filter out much but sediment. Just like the one under the sink the more it filters the more expensive the replacement cartridges.

We looked at a whole house system a couple times, but decided against it. The ones that filtered the same things as the under counter system cost an arm and a leg for replacement cartridges. To top it off you would be filtering more water for the shower and toilet than for drinking or cooking.

Secondly any water system used in a commercial (i.e. campground) setting is subject to at least annual testing and certification that it meets standards for public consumption.

Here's a link to the type of filter originally installed in our 2013 Adventurer

3M Under Sink Filtration, Replacement Filter, "A"

As you noted it doesn't filter out much. That's probably why the price is only $27.17

Here's a link to the one we used to replace the original. It's a direct fit and filters out much more, but then again it costs more at $38.00

3M Under Sink Filtration, Replacement Filter, "C"
Old 02-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I put the under sink plug in an only use a hose filter.
Cheaper. We do not drink the water anyway.
Use bottled for that.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:15 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

We have the ADC filter under the sink for ice maker & drinking tap. It definately removes bad taste, etc. We replace it once a year. We added an sediment filter outside after we had fine sand in the shower. I change it every 3 months and am amazed sometimes at how rust colored it is when using only "approved" city water sources! For sediment filter I use an RVSED-1 (1 micron) from RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV. I have not found better than 5 micron at Lowes, etc. I order 4 RVSED-1 filters once a year for a bit over $20 including shipping.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We have a carbon house filter that filters both the house tanks and the city water. I have a sediment filter after the water spigot at the RV park. The sediment filters the big chunks and the in-house filter handles most of the taste. I clean and sanitize the tanks after each trip and have not had problems. We use bottled water if we do not like the taste and often bring 4 or 5 gallons from home when we travel.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:13 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

The ice maker filter must be in place to un water to the ice maker, unless you plumb in a bypass. Took me a few days to figure that out after I took my filter out because it was leaking!! Just an fyi.
patoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:35 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

activated charcoal under sink

To remove bad taste a 5 micron activated charcoal under sink will do the trick. But water filters do not protect you from very much. If the source is untreated then the only safe solution is to treat or boil and chill if you want to use fresh holding tank water for drinking. IMO.

When I camp out without an Rv on a fishing lake here in BC I do drink lake water all the time rather than packing in idiotic plastic bottles of filtered and treated water purchased at Costco dirt cheap. It is disgusting finding ignorant campers discarded plastic garbage on some of the more popular lakes here in BC. So bottled water is an anathema in my books! The enjoyment we find in being self sufficient and going old school is priceless.

These days we use a hose filter to fill the holding tank but these are only there to remove sediment and particulate. Of course flushing and cleaning the entire system regularly with a cup of household bleach is still necessary. The problem with chlorine is getting the science right in how much to use and never flushing an aluminium hot water tank with strong chlorine as I am sure quite a few people have done. Especially if the hot water tank has an electric element.

Either way being prepared to the extent that you can drink out of a mud puddle if necessary is a good idea.

The pic below is of Wifey waiting for me to boil up some more lake water on our old reliable great little naphtha Coleman stove a few years back. I was just getting back from fishing and had the camera in hand. She is scared silly of lighting one so that was my job...LOL I can tell you that the lake water chilled in the night air to the point of giving you a headache if you drink it in the morning tastes as good as anything that comes from the bottled water rackets and is most likely even safer than some crap plastic water sold as being an essential by the mega water corporations. But to each their own if some campers like to pack around tonnes and tonnes of environmentally stupid plastic garbage all the time that is their choice certainly not mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boilingwaterplease.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	487.6 KB
ID:	178360  
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 05:39 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

What is your process of sanitizing the water tank after each trip?
jnfrcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 09:25 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrcher View Post
What is your process of sanitizing the water tank after each trip?
Why would you? I used to sanitize with sodium dichlor crystals when taking my rig out of storage each spring, but since I have been using the rig pretty much year round the only times I have sanitized is the few times I got bad, unchlorinated water somewhere. City water is chlorinated, and won't cause problems in your tank unless it suits for an extended period, OR you fill from a contaminated source. And we do use the fresh water tank exactly like we use the water in our stick house ... drinking, cooking, etc.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water