Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Two gray tanks?

We purchased a 2008 Itasca Latitude Diesel Pusher. We have not taken it off the lot yet and are leaving it at the dealers for the time being due to my wife ending up in the hospital a day after signing for it. A neighbor asked about my wife and we got into a conversation regarding the motorhome. He said he was familiar with the coach that we purchased and said that it has one black tank and two gray tanks! We never asked about that when we purchased it because we never heard of a motorhome with two gray tanks. Is this accurate...two gray tanks?
Old 01-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Yes, I believe that the Latitude is similar to our 2008 Tour with two gray tanks. One handles the kitchen and other is for the bathroom. The total capacity for ours is 117 gallons.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjburns View Post
Yes, I believe that the Latitude is similar to our 2008 Tour with two gray tanks. One handles the kitchen and other is for the bathroom. The total capacity for ours is 117 gallons.
Thanks. Having two gray tanks seems like a good thing.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Our Winnebago Destination has two gray tanks. One is called the "Galley" tank and the other the "Bath" tank. Unfortunately, the bathroom sink is plumbed to the Galley tank, and it gets full real fast with washing dishes, shaving, washing hands in bathroom (don't you?). We pulled into the CG day before yesterday and today the Galley tank was full. I pulled the lever and left it open. I'll close it a few days before we leave to let it get full and have a good power flush. I'm thinking of having the bathroom sink re-plumbed to the bath gray tank.

Look in your service bay and you should see 3 pull handles, one for each of the tanks.

Edited: I just looked at 2008 Itasca Specifications and it appears you just have a black/gray 62/72 gal capacity the same as my Destination. Check to see if you have 3 pull valves in the service bay. Also in mine, on the service console inside the coach I have a switch to see what the level of fill is for each holding tank. The Bath/Galley is a rocker switch separate from the "Test Level" switch.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:36 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Our Winnebago Destination has two gray tanks. One is called the "Galley" tank and the other the "Bath" tank. Unfortunately, the bathroom sink is plumbed to the Galley tank, and it gets full real fast with washing dishes, shaving, washing hands in bathroom (don't you?). We pulled into the CG day before yesterday and today the Galley tank was full. I pulled the lever and left it open. I'll close it a few days before we leave to let it get full and have a good power flush. I'm thinking of having the bathroom sink re-plumbed to the bath gray tank.

Look in your service bay and you should see 3 pull handles, one for each of the tanks.

Edited: I just looked at 2008 Itasca Specifications and it appears you just have a black/gray 62/72 gal capacity the same as my Destination. Check to see if you have 3 pull valves in the service bay. Also in mine, on the service console inside the coach I have a switch to see what the level of fill is for each holding tank. The Bath/Galley is a rocker switch separate from the "Test Level" switch.
Our coach is still at the dealer because I am busy caring for my wife. I do believe that, during the walk-thru, I saw a gate valve way over to the right and separate from the other two. The specs that are online do not indicate two gray tanks, but what else would that valve be for? Could it be a dump for the fresh water?
Old 01-24-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Hello az (loafer?),

If you haven’t seen these, here are the links to the plumbing diagrams for your coach dependent on serial number. Doesn’t seem like there is much difference. The kitchen sink and bathroom sink drain into the rear gray tank and the shower and cloths washer are plumbed into the front tank. 52 gallons for the shower, unlisted capacity for the sinks, and 48 gallons for the black tank. I don’t know what the spec sheet has listed for the capacities on your coach but the plumbing diagram for the 2009 model has the same part numbers and capacities listed for the three tanks and the sales brochure has the capacities listed as Black/Grey 64/75. If this is true, then the Black tank is in error and the sinks only have a capacity of 23 gallons (75-52)! If it was me, I’d ‘plumb the two gray tanks together’. Good Luck.

for IPM39W (Serial Number begins with 70M91J2) http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...m39w_plumb.pdf

for IPM39W (Serial Number begins with 70M91J3)
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...9wj3_plumb.pdf
Old 01-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I was mistaken. It looks like the Itasca Ellipse is the sister coach to our Tour. You might still have two gray tanks for the 72 gallon total.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:18 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTransistor View Post
Hello az (loafer?),

If you haven’t seen these, here are the links to the plumbing diagrams for your coach dependent on serial number. Doesn’t seem like there is much difference. The kitchen sink and bathroom sink drain into the rear gray tank and the shower and cloths washer are plumbed into the front tank. 52 gallons for the shower, unlisted capacity for the sinks, and 48 gallons for the black tank. I don’t know what the spec sheet has listed for the capacities on your coach but the plumbing diagram for the 2009 model has the same part numbers and capacities listed for the three tanks and the sales brochure has the capacities listed as Black/Grey 64/75. If this is true, then the Black tank is in error and the sinks only have a capacity of 23 gallons (75-52)! If it was me, I’d ‘plumb the two gray tanks together’. Good Luck.

for IPM39W (Serial Number begins with 70M91J2) http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...m39w_plumb.pdf

for IPM39W (Serial Number begins with 70M91J3)
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...9wj3_plumb.pdf
Thanks a whole lot for the diagrams. They will come in handy if I decide to change some of the plumbing.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:35 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Specs from the Brochure...

The specs from the brochure list: BLACK/GRAY 62/72 .
Old 01-24-2010, 05:17 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

AZ,
And my Winnebago has the same two figures as your Itasca but I do have 3 valves. Call winnebago and ask to speak to a technician. They will happily explain anything you want explained. You may not like the answers some time, but they can pull up your specific model by serial number and tell you everything about it, and point you to manuals.

Good luck.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:31 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
AZ,
And my Winnebago has the same two figures as your Itasca but I do have 3 valves. Call Winnebago and ask to speak to a technician. They will happily explain anything you want explained. You may not like the answers some time, but they can pull up your specific model by serial number and tell you everything about it, and point you to manuals.

Good luck.
We have been tied up with my wife recuperating from two surgeries in one week. As soon as I am able to pick the coach up I will get the serial number and call Winnebago. The paperwork that I have now only lists the vin number. Thanks for the info. Joe
Old 01-24-2010, 06:32 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Latitude

Quote:
AZ,
And my Winnebago has the same two figures as your Itasca but I do have 3 valves. Call winnebago and ask to speak to a technician. They will happily explain anything you want explained. You may not like the answers some time, but they can pull up your specific model by serial number and tell you everything about it, and point you to manuals.

Good luck.
We have the Latitude Gas pusher sinks are one tank and shower is the second. Go UFO

2008 Itasca Latitude 39w UFO 8.1
YngRvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:42 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Two gray tanks

I see that several Winnebago coaches have two gray tanks. We have an Itasca Suncruiser with that configuration. The galley tank is only 20 gals which is pretty small for the kitchen and really small if you have a washer/dryer. We dry camp about half the time and that tank gets full in a hurry. I figured out a very easy and inexpensive way of joining the both gray tanks together so that you now have a total of 70 gals.

I purchased another valve (Valterra T-58) that has bayonet fittings that fit on the end of the dump fitting. When we are parked I make sure the added valve is closed and then open both gray water valves. This joins both tanks together. Before I hook up and dump all tanks, I close both gray valves, open the new valve, dump the black tank, and then use the gray tanks to flush out the hose like normal. If you would like to see a picture, send me an email. Can't figure out how to add a picture here.
[email protected]
agiledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:15 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2008 Vectra and the two gray tanks total 117 gal. according to our spec sheet, with 103 gal fresh water, and 51 black.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:02 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefJohn View Post
We have a 2008 Vectra and the two gray tanks total 117 gal. according to our spec sheet, with 103 gal fresh water, and 51 black.
After picking up the coach and reading the manual we found that we do indeed have two gray tanks, one for the bath and one for the galley.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:41 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I do not know about other models but the 08 Horizon and Vectra models can option both a washer/dryer and a dish washer and that is why they have two gray tanks. One can only assume that any other models with those options would also have two tanks.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

AZLoafer,
After finding out we both have 39W's by Winnebago I now know you do have 3 tanks, with two gray. I'll also bet that your bathroom sink is plumbed to your galley tank. Washing of hands, face and other items in the bathroom sink will fill that galley tank real fast. So if you find your galley tank filling rather quickly, that will most likely be the reason.

If I ever have to boondock I would by a valve to attach to the outside waste valve and open both gray and galley tanks to let them share, then close the galley and gray valve, open the new vavle and let the standing water in the pipe line drain. then drain black, backflush, then drain the galley and then the gray.

When I'm at a CG with full hookup I'll open the galley and just let it drain until a few days before departure, then I close the valve and let it fill on its own to get a good surge flush. We wipe all plate and pans with paper towels before washing to minimize grease build up.

Good luck.

Oh! And someday I'll get the bathroom sink re-plumbed to the gray tank.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:41 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

The plumbing diagrams for our 2008 40TD Vectra show the two gray tanks, 'Galley Tank' supports the kitchen sink and dishwasher (50 gal) and the 'Bath Tank' supports the shower and washing machine (67 gal). The bathroom sink is plumbed into the Black Tank (51 gal).
Old 03-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Thanks to all...

Thanks to all for your info. Apparently we are not alone with wishing the gray tanks were larger. When the gray are filled there is hardly anything in the black. When Winnebago lets me design motorhomes, things will be different...Ha Joe

P.S. I just realized why there are two tanks from reading your replies. This coach comes pre-plumbed for a washer/dryer. We don't have one.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Is it possible to have an overflow valve from the galley to the bath tank?

The reason that I am asking is that my black tank has next to nothing in it but my grey is the one that fills up. Was wondering if there was such a thing as an overflow available to move the excess grey to the black. Would definately be an asset.

Sheila
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote