Old 05-29-2011, 05:58 PM   #71
Winnebago Owner

I start EVERY trip with full tanks of everything (well not black/grey tanks).
One of the advantages of a motor home is having EVERYTHING with you.
Round numbers, the weight per gallon of water is 8.3, diesel is 7, gas is 6, and propane is 4. Would you go someplace and start out worrying about how much diesel/gas is onboard or how much propane? Do you worry about dragging a 3-4000 lb toad?
In my case, I don't have money to burn, but on the other side of the coin, if I was going to worry about mileage, I shouldn't have purchased a 30,000 lb motor home in the first place.
To me, it's all about comfort and peace of mind. I am a full-timer and I ALWAYS keep fill fresh water tank full (when ever there is municipal water available), whether I am getting ready to travel or parked for a month or two. Some of my "neighbors" make fun of me, until the RV park loses water . . . I still shower and flush while they mumble.

So it boils down to what you are doing, what comfort levels you want, and what contingencies you want to contend with.

The important factor is IF you are approaching max gross weight, then you should evaluate everything you carry. Otherwise, fill your fresh water tank, fuel tank, and propane tank and go have fun!

Just my opinion and experience, which I am sure some will disagree with.

Stik
Old 05-29-2011, 10:33 PM   #72
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by plbrooke View Post
What does RO mean? I am new to this. I have a good filtering system for water, but do like to travel with about 1/2 tank for emergency.
Reverse Osmosis is the process most water treatment facilities use to purify drinking water, ie hospitals, drinking water stores etc. Typically tap water is filtered through a series of canister type filters then the final process uses a fine membrane to filter the remaining impurities out of the water. The RO membrane has to be constantly back flushed for the process to work. This means there is a significant amount of waste water produced.
Here in lies the problem with using an RO system with an RV. What to do with the waste water generated from the filtering process.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote