Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-27-2007, 05:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Well I guess if you look at this because of the title then I've succeeded in one aspect. The other is this is the second time tonight I've tried to put this on the discussion board..so here goes.
I finally got 10K on the new rig after having her since mid may. I took her into the CAT dealer for an oil change and valve lash adjustment as recommended by CAT for PM1. They recommend 11 K but i was headed out for ME so I didn't want to give anyone a chance to void the warranty due to excess miles. My first mistake was not checking the oil level...yea I know dummy me....before I left. I left mid afternoon on last monday and stopped in a Walmart in New Jersey. I got there just before they closed so I had a chance to ask for permission to park. No problem was there answer. Over night it started to ran heavy and it continued through morning. I walked the rig and toad before I left and it was still pretty dark so I didn't notice anything out of order. Continued to drive in rain all day tuesday and stopped in a NH Walmart. It had finally stopped raining and their parking lot was dry. I unhooked the toad which was pretty dirty and slightly oily. Went to dinner and came back to find about a pint of oil setting on the ground under the aft end of the MH. Went into the store and notified the manager and asked if he had any oil dry. Yep he said it happens all the time mostly with the 18 wheelers and for me not to worry about it but I just couldn't just let it stay, so cleaned it up and put in dumpster. He was greatful and told me to come back anytime. Nice guy. I called my CAT service dealer and he told me that it was probably over filled with oil and coming out of the "sluff" tube. Not for me to worry about it and come in next time I'm in town and he would check it out. Keep eye on oil pressure and check stick. Checked stick and oil level was well above the full mark. I continued my hike up to ME and again when I stopped the toad had more oil on it and oil was still dripping on the the pavement. I threw an oil dry absorbant cloth down and added some oil dry absorbant material that i had gotten from previous Walmart. Ask manager at this Walmart about leaving MH overnight, telling him about the oil drippage and like the previous store, he thanked me for letting him know and told me it was no problem. I can't say thanks to these Walmarts to much....they really know how to take care of us when we are on the road. Way to go Walmart and thanks.....

When I left ME I decided to stop and get lunch so while I was exiting the Interstate on a sharp curve I heard a loud "BANG". Don't have a rear view mirror so I couldn't tell what had fallen. As I pulled into the parking area some idiot pulled out in frount and I had to do a fast stop. Boy was I supprised when the toilet seat came hurdling towards me banging againt things as it approached. I thought for a second that a toilet seat terrorist was attacking the MH. Well after my heart stopped racing and the breathing came back to normal, and I got the MH parked I went back to put the toilet seat back where it belonged. I started looking for the seat nuts. They were not in the bathroon on the floor, not in the hallway, not in the bed room, not in the kitchen, not near the drivers area and not in the living room. I opened the slide and, nope, not under the slide area. So I decided to check the bathroom one more time. Nope not on the floor. So I decided to check the toilet to see if by some strange reason the were still stuck to the bolt hole area. Now check this out, here I am a 300 lb man hugging the toilet. It seamed I was having an intement moment with the toilet. But guess what....I found a secret hid-a-way behind but inside the toilet. Yep a secret compartment...can you imagine. And you know what,...my nuts were there, inside, hiding in that secret little compartment. Just think, a secret compartment that I, me found. Nope was never told during the PDI by the sales guy about secret compartments...and not oly that while I was have a great time hugging that toilet. Just me and my toilet....what an experience and excitement. I wonder how many more little secret compartments I might find during my RVing experience.

Back on track, sorry I'm really excited about my secret toilet comprtment, so here are my real questions:
1. Does anyone know of a good product that I can use to remove all the grungy oil from the back of the MH without damaging the finish and fiberglass. MH is less than 4 months old. Also how about the 85 S-10. Any ever use grease lightling or mean green products?
2. I was told not to worry about the oil level so long as I don't go over or under the factory setting for psi. Yes/No
3. Is there a way to securely fasten the toilet seat nuts without glueing?
4. And last but not least....how many of theMH have little secret compartments in their toilets....and where else might I find one...I looking forward for the hunt!.

MH is an 07 36G journey.
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Well I guess if you look at this because of the title then I've succeeded in one aspect. The other is this is the second time tonight I've tried to put this on the discussion board..so here goes.
I finally got 10K on the new rig after having her since mid may. I took her into the CAT dealer for an oil change and valve lash adjustment as recommended by CAT for PM1. They recommend 11 K but i was headed out for ME so I didn't want to give anyone a chance to void the warranty due to excess miles. My first mistake was not checking the oil level...yea I know dummy me....before I left. I left mid afternoon on last monday and stopped in a Walmart in New Jersey. I got there just before they closed so I had a chance to ask for permission to park. No problem was there answer. Over night it started to ran heavy and it continued through morning. I walked the rig and toad before I left and it was still pretty dark so I didn't notice anything out of order. Continued to drive in rain all day tuesday and stopped in a NH Walmart. It had finally stopped raining and their parking lot was dry. I unhooked the toad which was pretty dirty and slightly oily. Went to dinner and came back to find about a pint of oil setting on the ground under the aft end of the MH. Went into the store and notified the manager and asked if he had any oil dry. Yep he said it happens all the time mostly with the 18 wheelers and for me not to worry about it but I just couldn't just let it stay, so cleaned it up and put in dumpster. He was greatful and told me to come back anytime. Nice guy. I called my CAT service dealer and he told me that it was probably over filled with oil and coming out of the "sluff" tube. Not for me to worry about it and come in next time I'm in town and he would check it out. Keep eye on oil pressure and check stick. Checked stick and oil level was well above the full mark. I continued my hike up to ME and again when I stopped the toad had more oil on it and oil was still dripping on the the pavement. I threw an oil dry absorbant cloth down and added some oil dry absorbant material that i had gotten from previous Walmart. Ask manager at this Walmart about leaving MH overnight, telling him about the oil drippage and like the previous store, he thanked me for letting him know and told me it was no problem. I can't say thanks to these Walmarts to much....they really know how to take care of us when we are on the road. Way to go Walmart and thanks.....

When I left ME I decided to stop and get lunch so while I was exiting the Interstate on a sharp curve I heard a loud "BANG". Don't have a rear view mirror so I couldn't tell what had fallen. As I pulled into the parking area some idiot pulled out in frount and I had to do a fast stop. Boy was I supprised when the toilet seat came hurdling towards me banging againt things as it approached. I thought for a second that a toilet seat terrorist was attacking the MH. Well after my heart stopped racing and the breathing came back to normal, and I got the MH parked I went back to put the toilet seat back where it belonged. I started looking for the seat nuts. They were not in the bathroon on the floor, not in the hallway, not in the bed room, not in the kitchen, not near the drivers area and not in the living room. I opened the slide and, nope, not under the slide area. So I decided to check the bathroom one more time. Nope not on the floor. So I decided to check the toilet to see if by some strange reason the were still stuck to the bolt hole area. Now check this out, here I am a 300 lb man hugging the toilet. It seamed I was having an intement moment with the toilet. But guess what....I found a secret hid-a-way behind but inside the toilet. Yep a secret compartment...can you imagine. And you know what,...my nuts were there, inside, hiding in that secret little compartment. Just think, a secret compartment that I, me found. Nope was never told during the PDI by the sales guy about secret compartments...and not oly that while I was have a great time hugging that toilet. Just me and my toilet....what an experience and excitement. I wonder how many more little secret compartments I might find during my RVing experience.

Back on track, sorry I'm really excited about my secret toilet comprtment, so here are my real questions:
1. Does anyone know of a good product that I can use to remove all the grungy oil from the back of the MH without damaging the finish and fiberglass. MH is less than 4 months old. Also how about the 85 S-10. Any ever use grease lightling or mean green products?
2. I was told not to worry about the oil level so long as I don't go over or under the factory setting for psi. Yes/No
3. Is there a way to securely fasten the toilet seat nuts without glueing?
4. And last but not least....how many of theMH have little secret compartments in their toilets....and where else might I find one...I looking forward for the hunt!.

MH is an 07 36G journey.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
KCE
Winnebago Owner

Take a gallon jug or something and tie it under the RV so the sluff tube is inside to catch the oil temperally. I would take the RV someplace and have them let out some of the oil. Take your trip and the bring the gallon jug back and put it on the Cat Dealers desk and hand him the bill.
Put enough teflom tape on the head bolts until the nuts are tight. Put all your money in the hiding place and tell only me where it is.
I would try a good dish washing soap for the oil but it will take off your wax.
Good Luck.
KCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

KCE, has the right info on the oil. Try Dawn dishwashing detergent then re wax. Its gentle but does a great job with grease.

Yup,, Know bout that compartment. A nut came off the lever that controls the water flow. Had to buy a small adjustable bout 4 " long and all of ME (about 30 lbs more than you) had to use a mirror, hug the toilet and picture everything backwards because of the mirror.

Don't want to hide money there cause its a real pain to get to. Like to keep my money within easy reach...Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I would suggest Simple Green, which is a biodegradeable solvent to get the oil off your coach and toad. And yes, you will need to re-wax afterwards.

I use it all the time on the MH and have never had a problem with the finish.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:51 AM   #6
doc
Winnebago Owner

Good story

Have hugged the toilet a few times in my youth, but not for the same reason.
My Cat engine in the Horizon caused overheating when the crankcase breather dumped all that extra oil and oily smoke on the radiator. Gaffney put a tube in place (my cost not theirs!!) and now it dumps below/beside the hitch. Now I get oil spots all over the front of the toad. I can get it off the painted surface of the Element, but it won't come off the plastic surface of the grill and bumpers.

I used some redneck ingenuity when I realized I had forgotten to engineer a solution and had to leave the next day on a 3 month trip. I used an old sock, doubled and zip-tied to the pipe so it hangs down. Stopped the spots but after a few hundred miles it is soaked and drips on the ground when stopped.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The best product I have found for oil removal is "Oil Eater". You can buy it at Costco and other places. It is inexpensive and biodegradeable, you can even use it on cook ware etc. It comes in a spray bottle and is easy to use. I've used it on the front of the toad "for those occasions" as well as the BarBQ. I normally spray it on, hose it down and wipe it off. Don't know about removing the wax but I assume it does that too. I'm not big at waxing everything much, just use Protect All as it's easy and I'm lazy.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:50 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

What's your toilet's name?

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:39 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I call her "Honey Bucket." She always has a sweet scent to her no matter what time of day or night. She's pretty good to me and normally accepts all my grief except when I get really excited and miss letting her gather all that I have to give.

ps...Thanks for giving me some insight into cleaning the oily stuff off the rig.