Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-10-2015, 08:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Toilet Seal Sticking

Anyone have a easy remedy for a sticking seal on the ball valve? Replaced it last year and now it;s sticking and not closing unless you snap it shut. Silicone does the trick for a while but only last about a day. We're on the road and I'm not going to pull it to put in a new seal. So is there a fix for this???
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:56 PM   #2

had a simulator problem adjusted the tension on the bolts holding down the toilet to the floor(actually i loosed them) they were to tight and warping the base causing the unit to stick OK sense then
spanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

dnystrom, I use Thetford Toilet Seal Lubricant and Conditioner
Toilet Seal Lubricant and Conditioner | Products | Thetford
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Extra virgin olive oil.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:17 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I had the exact same symptom with our Thetford Style II toilet. After about 18 months of full time use, the valve seemed to be sticking. Tried everything, extra cleaning, pledge spray, olive oil, Thetford lubricant, ArmourAll, etc. They all worked sort of, but eventually, the flush valve started dripping as well.

I had the dealer replace the flush valve with the Thetford kit, and all the problems went away for about 18 months, then the whole problem started again. I went back to the various oils for a while, but eventually the flush valve started dripping once again. This time I changed the valve kit myself, quite easy to do. And the problems went away.

About 18 months later, the sticking problem started again. This time, I didn't hesitate, got the $14 kit from Amazon, replaced it, and the sticking problem is gone again.

All this tells me, is that with full time living, my particular toilet, for whatever reason, has a flush valve that fails after about 18 months. I think it puts back pressure on the foot lever somehow. Because once it is changed, that ball valve just snaps back into place when you lift your foot.

Not sure you have the same problem, but I learned how to fix mine.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:51 AM   #6
IC2
Winnebago Camper

Our '14 5er's Thetford toilet started doing that within a few weeks of purchase and no amount of magic lube products fixed it. When we took the trailer back to the dealer for a few odd warranty things, he just replaced it with a new "improved" toilet. Do I think that's a permanent fix - time will tell as I did a 'net search and found many other instances of the same happening to others with even newer RVs. I do miss the SeaLand from the last 5er as the vacuum breaker with sprayer was that 'pots only tender item.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Extra virgin olive oil.
Why "Extra Virgin"?
Old 06-11-2015, 06:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

So, It's working now after we have been on the road for 2500 miles and a half can of silicone spray. I think lack of use is the key here. The bowl was dry all winter most of the time as we did some short trips. I will not pull the toilet and work on it in some park on a picnic table to replace the blade seal. I will get a bottle of the Thetford stuff and see how that works. The pull valves need some lube also so I'll go with that. We are at a rv spot in Wiboux,Montana. We are the only ones here! Gald I bought these jack pads as the ground is soft. Thats camping!
Old 06-12-2015, 09:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I use silicon grease on my bowl seal, and spray silicone into my drain blades and stem to keep them working smooth.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnystrom View Post
Why "Extra Virgin"?
Yes, sorry. I should have realised nobody would have anything but extra virgin in their pantry.

Tags
seal