Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2007, 04:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Our coach is less than 2 months old. We have dumped the tanks several times during that time. About a week ago my wife noticed that when she flushes the toilet a rush of air shoots out forcing water to spray upwards, then today, she called to say the toilet appeared clogged and that eventually it drained. I know the tank is less than 1/3 full so, before I travel up to where we keep it parked, I was wondering if anyone has any idea as to what the problem or solution might be. Also, if it is clogged would a jet setting on a hose through the toilet help or is there a treatment that could safely be added...or could the vent pipe be clogged somehow causing negative pressure? Any help is appreciated.

2012 Winnebago View 24M
NEW BERN RON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Our coach is less than 2 months old. We have dumped the tanks several times during that time. About a week ago my wife noticed that when she flushes the toilet a rush of air shoots out forcing water to spray upwards, then today, she called to say the toilet appeared clogged and that eventually it drained. I know the tank is less than 1/3 full so, before I travel up to where we keep it parked, I was wondering if anyone has any idea as to what the problem or solution might be. Also, if it is clogged would a jet setting on a hose through the toilet help or is there a treatment that could safely be added...or could the vent pipe be clogged somehow causing negative pressure? Any help is appreciated.

2012 Winnebago View 24M
Old 10-02-2007, 05:00 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Ron;

Welcome to the Winnebago Forum. You have come to the right place with your question. I have never had this problem so I have no personal experience to share with you. I have seen where others have and perhaps they will jump in. My guess is that the vent is plugged. You could click on the find box and do a search. I believe you will gather some info.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:05 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Most of the time this problem is caused by too much toilet tissue not enough water!

You can check the vent pipe by taking the cover off and placing a garden hose down the vent turn the water on full force. It would be good to have 2 people one at the spigot and the other on the roof... That should clear any paper in the vent. The next thing to do is check the down pipe from the toilet to the holding tank. Open the valve and use a flashlight to check for obstructions. If you can't see the bottom of the tube use a boom handle and hose or flush wand stick it down the tube as far as it goes and let her rip. It also should clear any tissue buildup in the bottom of the tube/tank.

More water less tissue..... A good principle is if it didn't go in your mouth, it doesn't go in the tanks!

Good luck and keep it flowing!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:19 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

to add to Ed's suggestion ...

<span class="ev_code_Red">the toilet tissue should have "Safe for Septic or RV Use" printed somewhere on the package</span>
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Hmmm. It sounds like you are describing 2 different issues.

The water shooting out sounds more like air in the fresh water line. That happens to us if our lines have been depressurized for what ever reason. I always try to remember to run the bathroom sink first before the first flush after the lines have been open. If, however, the water spray is coming out of the toilet drain hole (eeeewwww) then you probably have a plugged vent line between the black tank and the roof.

Now - to the plug. I assume the problem is the toilet is plugged and not the black tank. i.e. the black tank will drain but you see a clog when you look down into the toilet. (This is probably easier to solve that a plugged black tank). Try to punch it on through with a stick, etc. If this does not work, I would suggest ripping into it with a snake until you have it ground up enough to work it down through. Once this mess is then in the tank, I would recommend you fill the tank the rest of the way with water and flush the tank.

We have had 2 plugged black tanks early in our camping career and we have become sensitized to what we put down the toilet. In addition, you can't use too much water.

Finally, (and I will try and be delicate about this), to lessen the amount of "solids" that go into the tank, I try and always have my son and I use the campground facilities for the serious business and reserve the camper for the women folk. They are in turn instructed to be liberal with the water and stingy with the paper. And for goodness sakes - none of those new-fangled flushable wet wipes! :-)

Hope this helps.
camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

SAME thing happened to me last week. We started getting a blast of "water" shooting up higher than the toilet seat when we flushed. Then it clogged completely.

Turned out to be the old "too much paper and not enough water" caused a clog in the down tube from the toilet. I used a rod to unclog it and now all is fine again.

Not pleasant but a pretty quick fix.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:05 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have used the clear plastic dump attachment available at most RV stores with the one way water valve that will attach to your garden hose. You can spray water into the tank from the dump end. Worked for me and a whole lot less messy.
Richard
Old 10-03-2007, 07:59 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Ron,
Since your rig is so new, you may have a problem that originated at the factory. The problem may be that the vent pipe is extending down into the holding tank too far. If this is your problem you would notice a lot of bad odor as soon as the level came up high enough to block the bottom of the pipe during a normal flush. So if you have the odor problem, then have Winnie service check out the vent pipe & fix it. Thru the years on this forum, I've read of this happening many times.

Good luck and many happy miles!
Duner
Old 10-03-2007, 06:24 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Ron: The October '07 issue of Highways Magazine from Good Sam has an article on various things from the factory found in the holding tanks. These wood pieces etc cause problems and the article goes into detail of what is found and how to remove the debris. Good luck.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:40 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I will add a recomendation that was mentioned but not too clear for one of the problems - the slow flushing.

Assure extra water is added to the toilet whenever solids and toilet paper are going to be flushed to assist the prevention of a build up of solids where the toilet enters the waste tank. This is accomplished on most RV toilets by raising the foot pedal to permit water to fill some additional liquid prior to flushing.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:58 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

It has not been mentioned in this thread that after each time you dump you should have at least 3 gallons of water in your tank ... either by a flushing a couple of full bowls of water or by letting the backflush run for 30 seconds after you have closed the black tank valve ...

The water is needed to allow the solids to float around in the tank so that they do not pile up directly under the toilet ...

And make sure that you use plenty of water each time you flush solids.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:41 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thank you all for your help. Luckily, armed with a swim mask, snorkel and a 6 foot length of 1" round oak I was able to slay the toilet monster.
All's well in Eastern North Carolina once again. I've always tried to follow the water/paper advice you've all offered but I guess this time I was caught with my pants down!!! Thanks again...

2012 Winnebago View 24M
Old 10-04-2007, 10:45 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

It would also good if you use a break down chemical like Orderlos Tank Treatment.
It will help break down the waist and keep the smell down... Your neighbors will like it too!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:29 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

After dumping and flushing my black tank I run a couple gallons of water into the tank. This start you off with some liquid in the tank.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW BERN RON View Post
Thank you all for your help. Luckily, armed with a swim mask, snorkel and a 6 foot length of 1" round oak I was able to slay the toilet monster.
All's well in Eastern North Carolina once again. I've always tried to follow the water/paper advice you've all offered but I guess this time I was caught with my pants down!!! Thanks again...
Wow I am so glad to be able to read everyone's problems and solutions, before I tackle the clog I created with too much of the wrong kind of paper and too little water! I am hoping to avoid the swim mask and snorkel though -- LOL. Thanks everyone...
butterflyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:32 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflyjr View Post
Wow I am so glad to be able to read everyone's problems and solutions, before I tackle the clog I created with too much of the wrong kind of paper and too little water! I am hoping to avoid the swim mask and snorkel though -- LOL. Thanks everyone...
i have a piece of doweling to use in the shower for drying clothes.
i tie a rag around the end of the doweling and cover this with a large garbage bag.
i use this contraption to push the clog in the toilet into the black tank. i then turn the garbage bag inside out and dispose of it in the garbage. i have used this contraption twice in 5 years of full timing.
the type of tp that you use matters. we use only 1 ply tp and keep the strings short, 3 squares or less.
this info about tp tests was posted in irv2 in april, 2011.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/toile...e-90100-2.html
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:12 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Wow, it is amazing that for all the folks and different rigs out there, there exists this common problem.

Our solution, the 'Stick of Justice'. I don't know how it got its name, but it stuck. It is a 1"x2"x4' piece of vertical grain douglas fir. (it is that particular piece of wood, because it was the first one I could find when it was needed right away, and once used for that purpose, how could I do that to another fine piece of lumber)

One end, marked for business, one end with tape wrapped around for a handle. The business end is a flat, squared off edge, that can gently push the clog down the pipe, and to the sides of the black tank, without worry of damaging the actual bottom of the tank.

I have to use this wonderous tool once or twice a year, usually when relatives come to visit, and they forget to use lots of water when doing their business.

The very next customer is greeted by that wonderous burping bubble of air rising from the toilet pipe as the water is being flushed. Then I have to explain about the 'stick of justice'. There is usually a hesitant laugh from the offending party, but they rarely offend again.

Just follow the rules, only septic-safe paper, and lots of water before and after, and the 'stick of justice' need not make an appearance.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:29 AM   #19
YC1
Winnebago Owner

VENTING
Gas from decomposing sewage is supposed to vent out through a pipe that goes from tank top through the roof. Using the black tank as an example when you "hit the pedal," the gas that was building up in the tank should vent out through the roof. Your momentary opening of the tank shouldn't allow enough "feedback" into the RV to be noticeable--unless the tank was nearly full or the end of the vent pipe was under water and the gas had no place else to go.
Vent pipes need to penetrate the top of the tank, but only an inch or so. All too often, they are sloppily installed and, after only a few miles of travel, begin to slip further down into the tank. Many manufacturers only use a putty-like material to hold these pipes in place. Incredible, but true. To their credit, though, if the thing were glued in, you'd have a hellova time getting it apart. Even if the pipes don't slip, as described here, they often leak.
In some cases, vent pipes are inserted down through the roof into the tank and just shoved on until they stop. (How much smarts do you expect from somebody who gets paid next to nothing for shoving a pipe in a hole?) In any case, if the end of the vent pipe is submerged, it won't vent.
How do you determine where the end of yours is? Sometimes easily, sometimes with great difficulty.
If you're lucky: Go to the roof, remove the cap on the vent and look for the end of the pipe. It should be nearly flush with the rooftop or a bit higher. This does not necessarily mean all is well (see below). If it's way down there someplace, or you can't even see it, it probably just slipped.
If you then go into the RV and to the back of the closet (or wherever they hid it), you might be able to grasp and twist and raise it. Don't do this too hastily. If you pull it all the way out, you can have a job getting it back in. If it's where it's supposed to be in relation to the rooftop, you might have an extra-long pipe (poor you).
If you're not lucky: You need to determine where the end of the pipe really is. Sometimes, if you have polyethylene tanks, the kind that are translucent, you can shine a very bright light against them and, looking through the opposite or side end of the tank, see the shadow of the usually black ABS-type pipe. If so, you lucked out and can adjust it.
Some RVs, usually the newer ones, have tanks that are literally buried, and you can't do much of the above. You'll then need to disassemble or cut your way to the vicinity of where the vent pipe enters (poor you).

Re-printed with permission from Phred's poop sheet.
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

The back blow is because the level of "Stuff" in the tank has risen beyond the bottom end of the vent tube

The "Clog" is a full tank. I see many have suggested how that can happen.