Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

My 2006 Itasca 38T has a black water leak which appears to be at the connection of the pipe leading from the toilet into the tank. I am thinking of trying to fix it myself but wanted to know what I was getting into prior to starting this job. Here is what I know. No problems or leaks just using the toilet. Leak appeared after dry camping on the drive home with a full tank on a bumpy road. I figured the sloshing around had something to do with it. It leaked from the top of the tank down the side into the sewer connection compartment which made a mess but was easy to cleanup. Dried everything off flushed toilet numerous times and filled tank full with water and let it sit no leaks noted. Drove a few miles down the road and leak appeared. I Filled tank rest of the way from the toilet using a garden hose stopping every now and then to check for leaks. Everything was dry until the water started up the neck towards the toilet. I have a Thetford Aqua-Magic Style Plus toilet and when you flush it and look down into the tank there is about 5 inches of black PVC connecting the toilet to the tank. Where the pipe connects to the tank there is some type of white fitting. According to the Winnebago plumbing diagrams the official name for this fitting is 061607-02-000 Grommet-Holding Tank 3" NPS. There is a decorative box panel on the floor behind the toilet where the water connection for the toilet comes out of. I took the top off thinking I would get a better look at the top of the tank no luck. This just keeps a vent pipe out of view. I did get a good look at the shower drain into the grey water tank. Black PVC leading to a white fitting which appears glued to the tank with a bunch of silicone sealer around it. I assume it is the same set up for the black water. Here is my question if I take off the toilet will I have some type of access to this fitting and be able to see things better? Has anyone had to fix this type of leak and how did you do it? I did check the forum and the only thing I could find were some threads about the pipe not being glued and it slipped down into the tank. It does not appear this has slipped into the tank but may have only been partially glued or sealed. Leak only happens when water comes up from the tank not when it goes down the toilet.

2008 Honda Pilot/Racked out with Old Town Kayaks
Slapshottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

My 2006 Itasca 38T has a black water leak which appears to be at the connection of the pipe leading from the toilet into the tank. I am thinking of trying to fix it myself but wanted to know what I was getting into prior to starting this job. Here is what I know. No problems or leaks just using the toilet. Leak appeared after dry camping on the drive home with a full tank on a bumpy road. I figured the sloshing around had something to do with it. It leaked from the top of the tank down the side into the sewer connection compartment which made a mess but was easy to cleanup. Dried everything off flushed toilet numerous times and filled tank full with water and let it sit no leaks noted. Drove a few miles down the road and leak appeared. I Filled tank rest of the way from the toilet using a garden hose stopping every now and then to check for leaks. Everything was dry until the water started up the neck towards the toilet. I have a Thetford Aqua-Magic Style Plus toilet and when you flush it and look down into the tank there is about 5 inches of black PVC connecting the toilet to the tank. Where the pipe connects to the tank there is some type of white fitting. According to the Winnebago plumbing diagrams the official name for this fitting is 061607-02-000 Grommet-Holding Tank 3" NPS. There is a decorative box panel on the floor behind the toilet where the water connection for the toilet comes out of. I took the top off thinking I would get a better look at the top of the tank no luck. This just keeps a vent pipe out of view. I did get a good look at the shower drain into the grey water tank. Black PVC leading to a white fitting which appears glued to the tank with a bunch of silicone sealer around it. I assume it is the same set up for the black water. Here is my question if I take off the toilet will I have some type of access to this fitting and be able to see things better? Has anyone had to fix this type of leak and how did you do it? I did check the forum and the only thing I could find were some threads about the pipe not being glued and it slipped down into the tank. It does not appear this has slipped into the tank but may have only been partially glued or sealed. Leak only happens when water comes up from the tank not when it goes down the toilet.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Slapshottr:

Several suggestions...

1. have you looked in your sewer valve compartment to see if there might be a panel you could remove that would give you better access to the top of the black water tank?

2. if your toilet is like most, removing it will only reveal a flange bolted to your floor. Not sure if you remove that flange you have any space around it to get to the spot you need to re-seal the pipe.

3. you might want to send an email to [email protected] giving them your coach serial # and asking how they suggest you gain access to the tank to make the repair.

If you can get to the spot, I'd also suggest you use something like 3M 5300 polyurethane adhesive caulk...it should do the job.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I'm looking at the plumbing diagram for you 38T. The only holes in the black tank are for the toilet and the vent. The vent is to the left of the toilet when standing in front of the toilet.

Looks like the vent pipe has a hose clamp to a fitting in the tank. I would go on the roof and take a look down the vent pipe with a flashlight. Make certain the vent pipe is not loose. You might also try taking a hose on the roof and running water down the vent pipe while someone watches your utility compartment. If all checked OK with the vent pipe it has to be the toilet flange attachment point. I'd probably pull the toilet off and hopefully you have access to the pipe that attaches the toilet to the tank.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I've had my toilet off in order to reseat my black vent pipe into the smaller grommet. I removed the toilet, then the floor flange. The 3" pipe going into the toilet comes out with the flange. You will see the 3" grommet. Mine has a split in it, which I didn't fix because we were leaving in a couple of days. I don't get any liquid out, but I do get some smell.

I have one on order, along with one for the vent, and will replace them after next trip.

I believe the grommet has an outside grove in it that the tank top hole fits in. I didn't see any sealant. I think when the pipe is replaced it is a firm seal.

Best to do with an empty, flushed tank
Old 09-28-2007, 03:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the input. I have spoken with Winnebago prior to the post. Basically 3 possibilities. 1. Vent pipe connection which we have ruled out because of where the leak is. I can also see this by looking in the opening for the pocket door between the bedroom and bath, all is dry. 2. Hole in tank Winnebago tech said he wouldn't rule this out totally however it is rare. 3. Toilet connection. The question I have for DancinCampers is it sounds like the 3" PVC pipe is not glued into the grommet. Have you replaced the grommet yet and did it go OK? Any hints on how to make this work with the least amount of pain.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:45 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

The pipe that extends from the closet flange is not glued to the grommet, it just slides down through it.
When I replaced the split one on my last motor home I used some dish soap on it to let the pipe slide in easier, but it was not a difficult job.
The grommet fits into the top of the tank and as I recall that was pretty easy to install also.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Agree with Clay. The pipe came out & in snugly. I haven't replaced mine yet, it didn't arrive before we left for CA. The job will be awaiting our return.