Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Third water pump switch??

Has anyone wired in a third water pump switch in their bathroom. Like many Winnies I have the master water pump switch and light on the One Place panel and a second in the Water/Dump bay which doesn’t have the light. Sure would like a third toggle installed in the bathroom and would rather not re-invent the methodology to do so.
I'm on my forth sureFlow pump and really don't want to leave it "armed" all night but, not flushing is not an option and, the trip in the dark to the front of the coach leaves my toes cold.
Thx
Old 03-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

My coach has 3 switchs, but I went thru 5 of those smart sensor pumps [till sure flo wouldnt replace them] then went back to the noisy basic model, Im sure it will last longer Iam assuming your using that top of the line model.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Paul T,
This is interesting. Our '2004 Itasca Horizon D/P owners manual says there IS three water pump switches. They're in the same locations you mentioned. But, we too have only two switches. I'm not sure who, at the factory or, in the options list etc. made the decision to install only two but, I too would like one in the bathroom to keep my toes from getting cold too. Maybe I'll figure out how to do it some day.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Good topic Paul, hopefully a someone has done this. I bought a third switch thinking it was easy fix but fustrated after a few hours, benched the project for now.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have a place for one in my wet bay, but no switch. There is one on the control panel and another next to the light switch on the lavatory wall. I can reach both standing in the same place. Duh! I'd like to put one near the kitchen sink.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

My 90 Bounder came standard with 3 switches, kitchen, bathroom, outside shower
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #7

Regarding water pump switches in coaches, there very well may be many different ways that different manufacturers chose to install those switches and how the pump is wired too. I can only speak about the way mine is and how I added another switch in the separate room where the second vanity and toilet reside.

I had four different original locations where you could activate the water pump. #1, in the panel over the co-pilot's chair, #2, next to the kitchen sink, #3, next to the main vanity in the hallway, and #4, in the service bay outside. Why they did NOT install one near the toilet, go figure!

After having a RV service center tell me that I would need a different water pump controller to add a fifth water pump switch, I shelved the project for a couple of years until one day I was reading about the Intellitec latching Controller and how that works my water pump and specifically how it works. When it mentioned that I could add another switch to the wiring schematic very easily, I proceeded to finally finish the project.

I simply mounted a double gang bezel on the front of my vanity in the toilet room and installed a on/off switch in one section of the bezel along with a red indicator light in the other section of the bezel. I then ran identical wires down to the service bay directly below the toilet room and tapped into the same switch and indicator light that was mounted there. I now have a working fifth water pump switch for my second vanity and toilet room.

Now, if your water pump is activated using an Intellitec Latching Controller, you can add another water pump switch very easily using the same technique as I did or you could run the wires all the way to the Latching Controller itself.

If your coach uses some type of relay, switches and other devices to activate the water pump, than I can not help you. Your best bet would be to do some Googling to find out if it can be done.

By the way, my water pump is an Aqua-Jet 10 amp and after 11 years of faithful service, I recently installed a new one because of an upcoming 4 week trek to Alaska in April that we are taking, I do not want any problems with not having water. I will use my old one as a spare. The new one is so much nicer in both water flow, cycling and far less noise. It was well worth the 15 minutes it took me to change it out.

I would not recommend any of the Shurflo pumps as I have heard nothing but trouble and problems with them. When it comes to having water when you turn on the faucet, I want to have a constant stream there especially when taking a shower. The Aqua-Jet will provide that for you.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

If you have one of these water pump controllers you have spare switch locations.
I have four switch's and controller that I haven't found in ten years.
So maybe you will have better luck in finding it.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Paul ==My Horizon has 3 switches so you could pull up the wireing dia. off the winni web sit to see how they did it. I know we do it with 3way sw in houses all the time so it should not be a big deal to do.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

My (former) house had a 3 switch light fixture in the dining room ... two of the switches had three wires and one switch had four wires.

It took me several tries to get the wires correct when one of them failed and I replaced it with a dimmer version.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:43 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

My new MH has 4, one by each bathroom sink, one outside and one on the smart panel. Assume you could get wiring info as stated above.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:52 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
Has anyone wired in a third water pump switch in their bathroom.

This diagram might do what you want to accomplish: Click image for larger version

Name:	Alternate Switch.GIF
Views:	791
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	18482
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:34 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

RedT, Can you or anyone else post or make a drawing for 2 and 3 - 3 way switches without the relay? Google shows examples, but I need one showing which contacts are made or not made for each position of the switches.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

If you add another switch you will have to upgrade the wire or add a relay to avoid excessive voltage drop, probably why Winnebago didn't put in the third switch for the higher current 5.7 pump.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I also found out that you have to use a 4 wire switch for the third one. I have plenty of switches, wire and relays and could go either way.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Paul T,
References:
2006 Suncruiser 38T 12VDC Wiring http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_154449.pdf (PDF Pages 6 & 7)
2006 Suncruiser 38T Monitor Panel: http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_133004.pdf (Pdf page 7)

Currently the Water Pump circuit in your 2006 Suncruiser 38T is based on a the typical 3-Way house light setup (Tutorial: 3-Way Switches and 4-Way Switches)

While Winnebago used DPDT switches, they only used one pole of the switch.

Like a house, you have to go to a 4-way seitch setup to add switches

The new switch is the same as your existing external Water Pump switch, just wired differently. They are in the Winnebago RV Parts and Accessories Catalog. The 2 red wires are just the added jumper wires to make the cross over connection on the new switch.

Your only real alternative is the Intelitec controller however you would also have to procure different selector switches as they are momentary switches rather than always ON like your existing switches.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

I wired a round door bell button above the light switch in the toilet room. Hot wire from switch, thru button, snaked wire to water bay. Installed 12 volt relay in parallel with switch in bay. Works great, bell button even lights up.

Installed gecko ornament picked up at ACE hardware to decororate the button.

A wireless doorbell system might even be made to work.

I always run off the water tank, except for showers and dishes. Never leave pump on when away and at night.

PS: Our pump is OEM.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I'm sure that there are lots of ways to do this, but Intellitec has a controller that does this very well. We happen to have one of these on our Southwind.

Here's the link: Pump Control

You can have as many switches as you want, each one can have a light to indicate that the pump is energized. The controller is install close to the pump to minimize the 12vdc cable runs.

Our unit has three switches; one in bathroom, one at the utility panel, and one in the kitchen.

Using 3 way and 4 way switches is archaic, but true.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

alvinc, that was already posted on page 1. Posts # 7 & 8. Some of us are and like "archaic".
Old 03-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
alvinc, that was already posted on page 1. Posts # 7 & 8. Some of us are and like "archaic".
Sorry, missed post 8. BTW I'm archaic too.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water