Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2020, 05:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Thetford vs Dometic

Our Thetford Aqua-Magic Style II has developed a leak from somewhere around the foot pedal. I've done some research and before I pull it I wanted to see if there is a consensus from this group on just swapping it out for a Dometic 320 instead of repairing this one. I read a few posts online that suggest swapping it out because this seems to be a typical problem with this model. I have to say this is the first time we've had a problem with this one, so I'm reluctant to just toss it out for the sake of installing another one when a rebuild kit might solve it.

Thanks in advance for your input!
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Here are my thoughts. On my last MH I looked at this very same issue. I could not get any Dometic base to match up with the Thetford base holes. Mostly because of the spacing. I also had lengthy conversation with Thetford and my RV maintenance person both said it is easier just to replace that repair. Mainly because many times you get into purchasing more that just a repair kit and the repair costs just go up. Easier to take one out and put one it. Personal preference Dometic is owned by non-US company and Thetford is US Company. So I stuck with Thetford.
k9jkfham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thank you Ken,

Can't argue with that logic; and you brought up an issue I had not thought of. I was also concerned about the water supply matching up.

Thanks again!

Fred
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I did not have a water leak but a bad order leak coming from the knife valve. Since the toilet was 11 years old and figured other seals would fail soon, I just replaced the unit. Changing brands. No issues with mounting holes. The old install used PEX right up to the toilet water inlet. I modified things to add a braided hose from a new male PEX adapter to the toilet inlet. The install was simple was simple. I got a braided hose long enough to add a full loop in it to provide plenty of play in lining things up.

May happy days lay ahead...
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The repair kit is cheaper but not by a lot. When mine started leaking, I was advised to just replace it and they have improved since my original was made. It may be less work to replace it also. You may have to add or extend the water line, but with the ease of Pex shark bit fittings and pex line you can buy at Lows its not that difficult.
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:55 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

With my Style II Thetford, I was replacing the valve kit ($14 amazon) every 12-14 months when a few drips would be appearing below the foot valve and flush action seemed to get sticky. After 6 years of this, I replaced the whole toilet. ($160 amazon). At the three year point I replaced the valve kit, still going strong. I think the first one had some sort of defect at the valve casting. But I do like the way the Thetford works.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:05 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Changed out my old Thetford Aqua-Magic for a new one about a year ago. Got one with the spray nozzle this time. I had an intermittent leak on the valve I never could find and the lid hinge was broken on one side. Bought the new unit for only a little more than I would have paid for the seat and lid assembly, new valve, new seal, and spray nozzle.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford