Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2019, 07:11 PM   #1
Site Team

The Shower of Power

The shower head in my 2019 Minnie Winnie 22M produced an anemic flow, so I purchased the ETL White Standard Oxygenics 26781 Hand Held Sprayer Kit. I tested the height of the spray and the water flow rate. While the new Oxygenics shower head has a higher flow-rate, it uses a water-saving dribble-mode which you can use during lathering. This dribble feature prevents the water in the Hot line from cooling, and extends the total shower time.
  • The testing was done with the Minnie Winnie's internal water pump, with both the Hot & Cold valves wide-open.
  • Calculated full-power shower time is based upon consuming the 6 gallons of the hot water tank mixed with 2 gallons of cold water for a total of 8 gallons.
  • Three calculated blended shower times for the Oxygenics use the dribble-mode 25% of the time, 33% of the time, or 50% of the time.
  • Only the shower head & the flow control valve was replaced. The hose was not switched-out.
Original Shower Head:
  • Spray Height = 7"
  • Time to fill ½ gallon = 20.28 seconds
  • Calculated maximum Shower Time = 5 minutes & 24 seconds
Oxygenics Shower Head:
  • Spray Height = 40" (+471%)
  • Time to fill ½ gallon in dribble-mode = 108.85 seconds
  • Time to fill ½ gallon on full power = 18.03 seconds
  • Calculated dribble-mode Shower Time = 29 minutes & 2 seconds
  • Calculated 100% full-power Shower Time = 4 minutes & 48 seconds (-11%)
  • Calculated 75% full-power / 25% dribble-mode blended shower time = 5 minutes & 46 seconds (+7%)
  • Calculated 67% full-power / 33% dribble-mode blended shower time = 6 minutes & 3 seconds (+12%)
  • Calculated 50% full-power / 50% dribble-mode blended shower time = 6 minutes & 39 seconds (+23%)
As with anything, there are always trade-offs, but with the MUCH more effective rinsing-action, I believe this Oxygenics Shower Head to be superior to the original equipment.

Spray height of the original spray head on the left, and the Oxygenics spray head on the right.

Original spray head on the left, and the Oxygenics spray head on the right.

Dribble-mode of the Oxygenics spray head
Eagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 02:33 PM   #2
Site Team

... an update to my report:
I have removed the dribble valve on the base of the Oxygenics shower head. When dribbling, the cold water backs-up the hot water line, and when you turn off dribble-mode, you get a blast of cold water. The shower time without the dribble-mode is adequate to take a thorough shower, so who needs it?
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 10-07-2020, 04:35 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

So, it has a higher flow rate, but rinses faster, saving water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
[I][B]... When dribbling, the cold water backs-up the hot water line, and when you turn off dribble-mode, you get a blast of cold water.
Our shower does the same, not to mention when someone turns on hot or cold water elsewhere in the RV. I've seen several videos advising to install a one-way valve on the hot side to prevent the cold water from backing up into the hot side. To me, it seems easier to replace the dual handle mixer with a lever type, so you turn the water on/off without having to readjust for temp (or be frozen). should be an easy plug and play upgrade.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:40 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy View Post
Our shower does the same, not to mention when someone turns on hot or cold water elsewhere in the RV. I've seen several videos advising to install a one-way valve on the hot side to prevent the cold water from backing up into the hot side. To me, it seems easier to replace the dual handle mixer with a lever type, so you turn the water on/off without having to readjust for temp (or be frozen). should be an easy plug and play upgrade.
I've been meaning to hunt down a single handle with on/off. You know, like a typical residential shower or kitchen faucet. I got rid of the oxygenics valve (it just unscrews) and put one of those little valves at the base end of the hose. Oddly enough I was getting scalding hot water vs. cold water. Take your pick...neither is good!

Installing that valve at the base of the hose wasn't easy. It's next to the wall so the faucet had to be pulled from the wall to do it. Not difficult, but as I was doing this mod I was really wondering if a single handle valve exists. I've seen some, but the ones I've looked at don't shut off without perturbing the hot/cold balance. It's not a huge deal, but I guess I'd like to have my cake and eat it too
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:30 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinglett View Post

Installing that valve at the base of the hose wasn't easy. It's next to the wall so the faucet had to be pulled from the wall to do it. Not difficult, but as I was doing this mod I was really wondering if a single handle valve exists.
I considered putting a valve at the bottom of the hose too, but worried about how fragile the plastic attachment point is. Seems that part, the "vacuum breaker", is already a common point of failure.

I might pick up this single lever valve and give it a shot. It's cheap plastic like the factory 2 handle valve. It would be nice if a higher quality "plug and play" valve was easier to find. A small pressure balanced or thermostatic valve would be even better.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:40 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Let us know if you get this fixture. One of the Q&A's says you pull on the handle like any fixture, so it sure sounds like the kind I want.

BTW, I love those last two photos in the product lineup! I guess that couple is having extra fun playing cards and camping by the fire now that they aren't arguing over that shower faucet any more. Otherwise I can't figure out why the heck those photos are there.
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:40 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinglett View Post
Let us know if you get this fixture.
Otherwise I can't figure out why the heck those photos are there.
Will do. For the 2 pics, I'm guessing the pics of them in the shower were rejected for something more family friendly.

Tags
improved shower head