Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-08-2006, 01:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I found yesterday that the tanks monitor panel in the water service compartment no longer lights up when I press the switch there. Although the accuracy was always questionable (esp the gray which always show totally full), it is nice to see the fresh water level there to know when to stop filling the tank. The monitor lights inside the coach work fine. I don't see any of the breakers popped. Can anyone tell me where to start? ...breaker, fuse, etc?
Old 03-08-2006, 01:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I found yesterday that the tanks monitor panel in the water service compartment no longer lights up when I press the switch there. Although the accuracy was always questionable (esp the gray which always show totally full), it is nice to see the fresh water level there to know when to stop filling the tank. The monitor lights inside the coach work fine. I don't see any of the breakers popped. Can anyone tell me where to start? ...breaker, fuse, etc?
Old 03-09-2006, 06:16 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:05 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Paul, I would start looking at the wire "connections". The sensors are OK since they're giving the indoor panel a good signal. Look at the outdoor panel; are the wires feeding it 'sealed'? Is there a mini plug you can disconnect that might have corrosion in it? If all looks dry and well-sealed at the outside display, you'll have to trace the wires from it back to their source. Highly unlikely you have a broken wire, much more likely there's a dirty or corroded connection. But there could be a wire short because of a pinch or chafing; see if you can follow the way they're routed.
Hope this helps. Let us know the "answer" because these troubleshooting posts are a wealth of good info & reference to others that may experience the same problem down the road.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

AFChap, it sounds like the board (outside) may be bad. There are two connectors on the board, and the cost of the board is around $30.00 so I would just order another board.

You could also upgrade to the probeless system which would cost about $250.00 for all the boards and sensors. The new stuff just plugs into the existing wire harnesses.

I purchased the new probeless components but have been too lazy to install them yet.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Pat

I haven't pulled the board outside, but it looks like it is relatively easy to get to. As the gray tank indicators suddenly went to full all the time a few months ago, I suspect you are right about bad connections or more likely bad board. Strange occurance led to the full gray indication ...I hooked hose to the black tank flush port and turned on the water. Immediately I had water coming out the top of that compartment and one in front of it and my wife was yelling from inside asking what I was doing ...she heard water spraying. I turned it off pretty quick, and when I turned it back on all was normal except the gray tank indicator lights all lit up when I pressed the tank monitor switch ...probably blitzed the board if it got wet, and it just took time to totally go.

I have really thought about putting the probeless system in, but have held off mainly because I don't know where to access the oem gray and black tank sensors/wiring. Perhaps by removing the compartment panel immediately in front of the water service bay I would find out! Did you see the oem sensors when you had your panel out for the valve replacement?
Old 03-10-2006, 12:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

There is an Ultimate Freedom here in our park that had the same thing happen on the clean out spray port on the black tank. Must be a common problem. You will need to access that line by removing the side panel in the compartment in front of the water compartment. You will have to cut through the 2" foam insulation behind the panel to get to the clean out line.

Your black probes can be found behind the water compartment white covers. The gray can be accessed on the other side of the coach. On my floor plan it is the panel just above the compartment with the water pump. You can clean the probes by removing the screw, and pulling the rubber plug. Clean the plug, reinsert it and reconnect the screw with attached wire. New probes are $5.00 per set from Winnebago.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I pulled the tank monitor panel board in the water service compartment this afternoon. There are two wire connections ...the large one fell off as I pulled the board out ...probably due to dealer not fully connecting it about 2 weeks ago when they replaced the black tank dump valve. The board had a lot of corrosion on it, and on the connections. I cleaned it with a wire brush as good as I could, then plugged it back it. It now works as it should ...even the gray tank reads accurately.

I still may put the new monitors in sometime, but for now I am back to original function at least!!

I still don't understand what happened with the black tank flush water input, but I do know that I had that water line connected before the pressure regulator. Since then, I make sure I connect it AFTER the regulator and have had no more problems.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:57 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Paul, put some dielectric grease (from NAPA, $5/tube)in the connection of the plug to the cicuit board; -will keep out water and prevent further corrosion.