Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2015, 08:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Tank Hose Connection

If all goes well , we plan to become brand new -first time motorhome owners on June 12th. It is a 2001 Winnebago Journey 36DL. One of the very few things we know is that it has no hose to drain the tanks. After reading several post, I plan to get a 20' Dominator Hose Kit. Not having done this before, I was concerned that it may not have the correct fitting to attach to the tank drain. I would also like to get a clear elbow to attach between the tank fitting and the Dominator hose. Can anyone let me know the following things ?
1) Do the tank drains have universal fittings so that the Dominator will
attach ?
2) Will any clear elbow have fittings to attach to the tank drain and
the hose ?
3) Where can I find information about how to flush the tanks after
initially draining them ?
I know this is extremely basic but , after a good bit of searching , I'm still unsure of these things.
Thanks.
Ron
Ron and Lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron and Lin View Post
If all goes well , we plan to become brand new -first time motorhome owners on June 12th. It is a 2001 Winnebago Journey 36DL. One of the very few things we know is that it has no hose to drain the tanks. After reading several post, I plan to get a 20' Dominator Hose Kit. Not having done this before, I was concerned that it may not have the correct fitting to attach to the tank drain. I would also like to get a clear elbow to attach between the tank fitting and the Dominator hose. Can anyone let me know the following things ?
1) Do the tank drains have universal fittings so that the Dominator will
attach ?
2) Will any clear elbow have fittings to attach to the tank drain and
the hose ?
3) Where can I find information about how to flush the tanks after
initially draining them ?
I know this is extremely basic but , after a good bit of searching , I'm still unsure of these things.
Thanks.
Ron
Ron and Lin
As far as I know all 3" sewer hose valves, 3" sewer hoses, 3" sewer hose fittings, and 3" sewer hose accessories are interchangeable.

I've been using the pieces and parts contained in this $50 PrestFit "sewer hose kit" for 14 years: Prest-O-Fit Blueline Ultimate Sewer Kit

However, since I seldom flush my tanks I can't help with your 3rd question...(other than suggest you Google "flushing rv holding tanks").

Mel
'96 Safari, 141k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The RV GEEKS website has a very good tutorial on dumping tanks and setting up your sewer & water hoses at a campground. http://thervgeeks.com/plumbing/rv-ho...dumping-1-2-3/

Plenty of other great info there as well.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Some RVers religiously flush their holding tanks every time they dump. Some never flush at all. Personally, I am not convinced that there is really a need for it.

Some RVs have a hose input dedicated to flushing. Many RVs have no practical way to flush, except by running a hose through the door and into the toilet. That is particularly difficult when you can't get to the bathroom with the slide closed. It appears that those manufacturers don't think that flushing is required.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you all for the information and links. Greatly appreciated
I hope things work out on the 12th.
Ron
Old 06-04-2015, 01:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I do not regularly backflush my black water tank, because I dump it frequently. Since you don't know the history of this tank, some extra work may be called for. I have read that a way to loosen old gunk in the tank is to put a bunch of ice cubes in the tank, and then drive around for a while. Worth a shot.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Ron and Lin--Congrats on your first RV! You're in for a lotta fun... and a lotta learning in the process.

You didn't mention whether or not you bought this from a dealer or an individual. If you bought it from a dealer, there will be an extensive (hopefully VERY, and unrushed) "walk-through" process in which they will attempt to show you everything about your RV, including how to dump the tanks. I recommend that both of you attend this, bring a note pad, and take photos to help you remember the details. Even if you have a very friendly guy showing you things, and even if he is not in a rush, there's just a lot to learn and you will probably forget some of it. (I have read where some people even video the whole thing!)

If you purchased from an individual, then I personally would require a half-day with the seller to go over everything. Hopefully the seller will agree to this after-the-sale, since you may not have brought it up yet. If s/he doesn't want to do that: (1) be warned--maybe there is something s/he is afraid to show you? (2) ask if s/he will do it for a small fee. You're going to want a very thorough orientation to the RV, and I mean EVERYTHING. How to fill the freshwater tanks? How to sanitize the water? How to empty that tank? Black tank procedures? How to use shore power? Generator? the list is a long one.

Most of all, do NOT feel silly or embarrassed to ask questions! Some people stay at various dealerships for several days just to get their orientation!

Have fun with it!!
Old 06-04-2015, 06:04 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I've had a lot of trouble with the so-called standard bayonet fittings. I either can't get them to lock together or they lose the o-ring and fall apart. Like Mel above, I use the Blue line push on system. It works great.
One tip for you concerning your black tank. That is to only open the drain valve to dump and rinse, don't leave it open even though you're hooked to a sewer.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:05 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

PS Welcome to the forum.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:49 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

The ice cube trick sounds very ingenious Thanks.
We have a "walk through" scheduled for June 12th. We are doing this at Camping World of Chattanooga and , hopefully , they will be patient with us. They have also scheduled driving lesson ( yes , there are people like me who are quite intimidated by the thought of driving a class A ). Wish us luck getting her home
Again, thanks to all of you for the ideas and comments and also the kind welcome.
Ron

Tags
tank