Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-26-2011, 03:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Tank capacity?

I can't seem to find out how many gal the galley grey water tanks is. Called Winnebago, they looked and couldn't find it said they would call back didn't happen.
Oh, 2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
Fastcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:34 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastcar View Post
I can't seem to find out how many gal the galley grey water tanks is. Called Winnebago, they looked and couldn't find it said they would call back didn't happen.
Oh, 2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
This may help
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W Motorhome : Reviews, Prices and Specs : RV Guide

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

According to the 2008 Destination brochure:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/products...n-Brochure.pdf

your black water tank holds 62 gallons and the grey water tank holds 72 gallons. The specification information is on page 11.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Hmm, the brochure seem to disagree with the plumbing diagrams:

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...m39w_plumb.pdf

(There's two diagrams, with a serial number breakpoint, but they appear to have the same tanks.)

The diagrams show three tanks, 52 grey for the shower and washer, 48 for black, and an unlabeled capacity one for the sinks. You would think the brochure would show the total grey capacity such that the galley one would be 20 gallons (72-52= 20), but the black tank capacity doesn't agree, so I don't know what I'd trust. I'm Winnebago can help, just have to find the right guy with the right prints.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
According to the 2008 Destination brochure:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/products...n-Brochure.pdf

your black water tank holds 62 gallons and the grey water tank holds 72 gallons. The specification information is on page 11.
But how much does the galley tank hold?? It is a separate tank with it's own dump valve.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Tough answer to come up with. They do not give a separate capacity for any of the coaches with dual grey tanks. Your tanks are probably like mine with the rear tank used for the shower and washer. We do not have a washer but I find it hard to get the rear tank above 1/3 after two weeks even taking a shower every day. My guess is that the front tank is bigger.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

As I recall, the "Rating Card" in my bedroom closet has weights and capacities for all the tanks. You might check there.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

If there is no other way for you to figure out the grey water tank capacities, there is a solution, but it will take some time and effort.

First, empty both grey tanks and close the dump valves. Next take an empty 1 gallon water jug fill it with water and dump it down the galley sink. Continue to fill the jug and dump it down the sink until the sink backs up all the time keeping track of how many gallons you use. When the sink backs up then you'll know the total capacity of the galley grey tank.

Use the same procedure on the shower until it backs up and you'll know the capacity of the lav/washer grey tank.

Good luck
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Fastcar,

Yep! Won't happen. I don't think they know. I have the 2008 Winni Dest 39W.
Fresh 92 Gal
Black 62 Gal
Grey 72 Gal
Galley ?? Gal

I never thought about trying to figure it out. I was quite concerned that it was filling up considerably faster than I thought it should. Well, turns out that the bathroom sink is plumbed to the galley tank, and DW sure does like to wash her hands a lot. Plus brushing teeth, shaving, etc., tend to fill that tank quite fast. I just live with it and dump frequently.

I did buy a closeout valve that connect to the outlet pipe. We were at a place that did not have sewer hook up and I knew that the "galley" would be filling up, so I put on the closeout valve (with output connector for sewer hose) closed the valve, then opened the grey and the galley. It gave some equilibrium to the two systems and i was able to go a few days longer.

Also, if you look under the bed you will see where the kitchen sink drain hose goes into the tank.

Instead of plumbing the washer/dryer drain to just the drain pipe outlet, they plumbed it into the grey tank. That means that every time DW wants to wash some necessities the grey tank handle has to be pulled.

Happy trails.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:11 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Fastcar,

Yep! Won't happen. I don't think they know. I have the 2008 Winni Dest 39W.
Fresh 92 Gal
Black 62 Gal
Grey 72 Gal
Galley ?? Gal

I never thought about trying to figure it out. I was quite concerned that it was filling up considerably faster than I thought it should. Well, turns out that the bathroom sink is plumbed to the galley tank, and DW sure does like to wash her hands a lot. Plus brushing teeth, shaving, etc., tend to fill that tank quite fast. I just live with it and dump frequently.

I did buy a closeout valve that connect to the outlet pipe. We were at a place that did not have sewer hook up and I knew that the "galley" would be filling up, so I put on the closeout valve (with output connector for sewer hose) closed the valve, then opened the grey and the galley. It gave some equilibrium to the two systems and i was able to go a few days longer.

Also, if you look under the bed you will see where the kitchen sink drain hose goes into the tank.

Instead of plumbing the washer/dryer drain to just the drain pipe outlet, they plumbed it into the grey tank. That means that every time DW wants to wash some necessities the grey tank handle has to be pulled.

Happy trails.
Thanks again for the info Wayne. I like your close out valve idea. I saw the sink hose when looking at the lip for the slide.

We are heading for Gaffney early Monday morning. I'm going to have to get into the plumbing deal when I get back.

Tags
tank