Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2016, 06:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Suggestions for removal of a shower surround?

I've tracked the leak in the water supply to a location under the shower on our '99 Brave SE. Unfortunately there is no way I can get to the suspect spot and cannot figure out which of 4 hoses might be the culprit. Two appear to be supply lines to valves and the other two might supply the shower.

I've tried to detach the lines but there is no room for a wrench and I'm not strong enough without one.

Any advise on how to go about removing the shower surround? It appears to be held in place with caulking. No screws are visible.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...f26p_plumb.pdf
Radioflyer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Can you access it from the other side of the wall, where the repair might be easier?
Old 04-29-2016, 09:24 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The access to the shower water supply is very restricted. A solid wall on the outside and another forward of the shower. The only way to access the lines appears to be by removing the shower base.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Looking at your diagram, could you detach both hot and cold lines on the underneath side, then pull the mixer w/ lines connected if needed from the top? Replace the lines, then reconnect?

Mixers can usually be accessed to some degree from inside the shower.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The diagrams are great until a person has to access the connections. I'm reluctant to remove the shower surround and the base without some idea of being successful.

Today ... I'm going to remove the furnace from just in front of the shower and the base for the settee in the hope I can get access to the lines that connect to the shower valves. I can't pull the lines through with the lines attached to the shower valves.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

The shower walls on my Journey are attached to the sidewalls using double sided tape. Mine is also on an outside wall. I changed the tap set by removing the panel the taps were mounted on. That panel is on a corner between the exterior side wall and an interior wall and is on a 45 degee angle to the enclosure. The pipes were fully accessible and you don't want them to fall down while you are working on them.
My experience with the RV is that you can probably take apart most elements requiring service in 5 minutes. If I cant, then I probably have not done it the correct way. Had an issue with the vertical molding around the large slide and attempted to attach a new piece but was not successful after three different attempts. Looked closely at the molding and noticed a strip in the center held on by small pin nails. Removed it to find the whole piece was held on by three screws under the molding and the repair was easily accomplished with the entire piece removed.
In most cases, the fix is simpler than it looks - unfortunately, it is often not easy to discover the "trick" to doing it easily. I would contact Winnebago for suggestions before tackling removal of the furnace.
Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have the furnace out. It was easy to do. I took the base for the settee out to give me easy access to the water lines to the shower that parallel the delivery lines from the pump/water heater past the T's going to the bathroom sink and toilet.

I ran the pump to pressure up the system and water poured out between the frame rails under the RV. Both my wife and I checked for the leak with a video scope and by touch and can not identify the point where the water is leaking.

I'm frustrated.

There are 2 valves in a cubby hole on the left side of the hallway. The valves appear to operate 3 ways. To drain the system, stop water from going on to the galley sink and to allow water to the sink. With the galley sink isolated, water still comes out under the body roughly where the supply lines lay in the foam core floor. I can't see any evidence of of water along the path of either line.

Today I plan to carefully run the RV up on some solid wooden ramps I made to gain some access to the underbody. Perhaps there are some lines hidden underneath. Anything is possible on a 17 year old RV. We found underwear and a sock under the shower.

If my efforts are still fruitless I will give Winnebago a call on Monday. Good suggestion.

I wanted a project and this neglected old girl is proving to be precisely that.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Sounds like there was water in a line over winter that froze and split the pipe. Not sure what they are made of - mine are pex tubing. There are no water likes run under the chassis in my coach except those to and from the tanks. Check the basement storage compartments - hopefully you will find the there. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I was able to get underneath the RV and poke my head up between the driveshaft and frame rail. No ... I was not comfortable but I wouldn't ask my wife to do anything I wouldn't do.

I discovered the water came out of the drain pipes regardless of where the valve handle was pointed.

Now this made sense.

I took the valves apart and believe both valves have damaged gaskets. Both silicone gaskets appear to have a crushed and distorted part that looks like it will allow water to bypass the valve and drain out when the pressure builds up from the pump. The RV store is closed today so I will have to wait to get new parts. Hopefully this is my solution.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioflyer3 View Post
I was able to get underneath the RV and poke my head up between the driveshaft and frame rail. No ... I was not comfortable but I wouldn't ask my wife to do anything I wouldn't do.

I discovered the water came out of the drain pipes regardless of where the valve handle was pointed.

Now this made sense.

I took the valves apart and believe both valves have damaged gaskets. Both silicone gaskets appear to have a crushed and distorted part that looks like it will allow water to bypass the valve and drain out when the pressure builds up from the pump. The RV store is closed today so I will have to wait to get new parts. Hopefully this is my solution.
Sweet!!!! Wonder how much money you save yourself in diagnostic time and repair at $100+ per hour? It feels so good when you figure out a problem and the repair. Congratulations.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

It is satisfying to finally solve the leak problem.

But its brought to light several more issues. Because this old girl sat neglected for 3 years the water system needed to be flushed. The galley sink taps leaked and so did the shower head. Next we are going to add the bleach solution recommended in the owner's manual and we may repeat the process for some extra assurances.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVThunder View Post
Sweet!!!! Wonder how much money you save yourself in diagnostic time and repair at $100+ per hour? It feels so good when you figure out a problem and the repair. Congratulations.
I wish I had some way of telling how much I've saved over the 50+ years of RV'ing by learning to do most everything myself. Sometimes it costs more when I screw something up but at least I know it's fixed right!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal, shower