Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-21-2008, 04:40 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

'08 35J.
Yesterday, after being hooked up to city water for about 18 hours I happened to look at the monitor and noted I had a full tank of water when I should have been almost empty. Went outside and it was overflowing. Turned city water off and it overflowed for a long time! BTW, I do have a Gates pressure reducer. The coach fill valve was not in the fill position...hasn't been touched for a month.

I kept city water off to use the pump and draw down the tank. The dagone thing acts weird! Open a valve and no pressure even though the pump light is on. However, if you leave a valve open and flip the pump switch it will work! I have checked the connection to the switch and they seem ok.

Questions:

How in the devil can the tank all of a sudden fill itself? Again, the fill switch was not in the fill position.

What would cause the water pump to act this way (it is a new pump but we've used it for a month or more with no problem).

Can these two incidents be connected? I don't see how, but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance! Steve
and the water tanks
Old 09-21-2008, 05:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Had a problem like you describe with the fresh tank overflowing while hooked to the park water supply. I found a bad spool in the tank fill valve, and it was allowing water to pass by the valve and fill the fresh tank in any position. I was able to find another valve and just change the spool.

I don't know about your pump problem except to say if the fill valve is in the fill position the pump does not pump water.

Hope this helps.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:41 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Pat...what's a "spool". Did it fill it slowly? I just checked again and there's no sound of water running (as there is if I crack the fill valve) and the watts regulator doesn't show a drop. However...I note that the tank his filled one light level! I'm at Lazydays so maybe I should just buy a new valve? I cannot imagine what else it could be.

Wish I could get the gas tank to fill for no apparent reason!!
Old 09-21-2008, 09:28 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I'd suspect a bad pump, based on what you are saying. It is possible for water to reverse flow through the pump - from city water into the tank - if there is a problem in the pump.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Agree with the water pump, probably the check valve
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:47 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Ok. Consensus here and the other forum is check valve. Luckily I'm at Lazydays so I can get one tomorrow. I did fiddle with the valve some but I don't see how it could cause this. I'll report back. Thanks all.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:49 PM   #7
TAN
Winnebago Owner

We had the same problam and changing the pump cured the problam.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:43 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

UPDATE: Yep, the pump. Camping World at Lazydays was very accommodating. I bought the pump on line in June...they brought up my account, saw the purchase and exchanged the pump in minutes. Been installed about 15 hours and all is well. Thanks all for the counsel. Steve