Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2016, 08:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slide topper holds rain water

After a rain event, the driver's slide topper holds the rain water [does not run off like the passenger's slide topper] on our '09 Vectra. The carefree topper material has been replaced by the dealer, but the topper stills holds water. I always need to start the engine and lower the levelers to remove the rain water. Is this a common issue on the Vectra models? Are there any solutions?
Thank you,
Frank
funtorvwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
There is not enough tension on the topper spring. The are different procedures for increasing the tension depending on which type of carefree awning. Is your topper awing also the window awning? Do you have the question mark type of support arms? or are the toppers and window covers separate? WE need more info (pictures)...
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

slide topper holds rain

Hi iRV2 Forum,
The slide topper is Carefree of Colorado, serial number 2092078301 which is 194" long, model number BL19402JY or SOL 111 according to their web site. I do not have an pictures...sorry. If the spring tension needs to be tighten, what is the procedure?
Thank you,
Frank
Old 08-16-2016, 09:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

No matter how tight your get the tension, any cloth/canvas/tarp over a couple of feet long is going to pool some water unless it is pitched at a pretty good angle. You can see the effect if you take a small piece of fabric and secure all four corners. Pull them as tight as you want and see where the middle of the cloth is sagging. I would guess you could tear the cloth and break the springs and the middle would still be sagging a bit. The standing water does no harm other than getting the top of the topper fabric dirty, and when you pull the slide in the water will dump over the side.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:36 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

The long slide awning on my 5er , always collected water , only time I had an issue was when the water froze before I pulled the slide in and the slab of ice made enough noise to scare the DW and the neighbors.
If I'm worried about the water , I lift on one end of the awning with a broom.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:41 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Frank, I think this will solve your problems! I won't be following this thread, so if you have any questions just PM me!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/slide...rt-189399.html

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Frank;

All 3 of my slide toppers collect water when it rains. When the slide moves in the water pours out the ends. It does not hurt anything. I just have to make sure my wife or anyone else is near any of the ends as they will likely get wet. Don't ask me how I know this.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
Frank;

All 3 of my slide toppers collect water when it rains. When the slide moves in the water pours out the ends. It does not hurt anything. I just have to make sure my wife or anyone else is near any of the ends as they will likely get wet. Don't ask me how I know this.

Don
I also try to remember to close the windows, on mine the water comes down the side of the RV too. If the windows are open the water pours in and..........
Old 08-16-2016, 01:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Try spraying CampDry by Kiwi shoe polish which can be purchased at Walmart. Spray the toppers and see if this helps. Sprayed mine and it works great at keeping water puddles to a minimum.

UFO Chassis
Lash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:48 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

When leaving a campground after rains, I put my jacks up first and it almost always changes the front-to-back geometry enough that we get a waterfall over one end of the slides. As mentioned before, rolling the sides in will usually get the rest of it off pretty well.
www.LowesTravels.com
sdlowe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:18 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We have one 18' topper that collects water. We just bring in the slide slowly, stopping every once in a while until the water quits. Then we bring it in some ....again until the water quits.

We once brought the slide in all at once with quite a puddle on top. The weight of the water pulled the center of the topper off of the roller and the water went on top of the slide....and inside as we were pulling the slide in. Won't do that again. Had to get up on the roof, bring the slide in a little over half way and use a broom to get the rest of the water off so that I could reconnect the topper to the roller. Real PITA.

Some people put different objects between the topper and slide top (balls, foam rubber, etc.) to keep the topper from sagging. Some run a rope around the whole topper to create a channel for the water to run off. I'm sure there are other remedies.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:42 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Quote:
Originally Posted by funtorvwk View Post
After a rain event, the driver's slide topper holds the rain water [does not run off like the passenger's slide topper] on our '09 Vectra. The carefree topper material has been replaced by the dealer, but the topper stills holds water. I always need to start the engine and lower the levelers to remove the rain water. Is this a common issue on the Vectra models? Are there any solutions?
Thank you,
Frank
Hi Frank...After researching your 09 Vectra, I see your topper awning is rather flat and will probably pool some water no matter how tight your awning spring is wound. I have slide toppers that are also my window covers and are angled down quit a bit.

I would think that Joes PVC set up would work for you. Someone said that all toppers will pool water regardless of how tight the awning rollers are. My topper awnings do not pool water because I have increased the awning spring tension. Anyone who has the Carefree awnings that have the question mark support arms and would like the info on how to increase the spring tension, send me a PM. It is very easy to do.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:21 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Lots of issues here. We have the Swintek slide mechanism. As prone to problems as they are I will stick to Winnie's recommendation the jacks be deployed and the unit level during slide deployment/redeployment. Winnie and Lippert both specifically warn not to start/stop the slide during deployment/redeployment because the motors will get out of sync.

Strangely though, in the same book Winnie also recommends raising the jacks on one side to enable the rainwater to run off. I suspect when the manual was written the left hand did not know what the right hand was writing.

As flimsy as the Swintek system is, I'll stick to keeping the unit level, not stopping on the way in and take my chances with the water. Likely more robust systems can withstand the hints given above by other users.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:38 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Ours has two motors that run in sync, i'm guessing the same as George has. I agree that we like to keep the button pressed once the slide is moving but there have been many times when we haven't. Water isn't a problem, as it sheds fine when coming in, but i don't want to roll up leaves and other debris. I could climb up onto the roof to sweep it off but instead, use the stop and go method when retracting to sweep as needed from the ground.

Knocking on wood,,, this hasn't caused any problems in the 14 years we've had the rig.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:23 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Hi Joe,
FYI, we were camping in Williamsburg VA during a continuous rain storm. We can back to the MH after visiting several historical sites to find water dripping in from the slide. I started the engine and lowered the front levelers to remove the pooled water. After that, leveled unit again and retracted the slide. So, now any time we are in rain, we leave the passenger slide in.

I'm planning to that the MH back for service...if you have any suggestions before the upcoming service visit, it would be greatly appreciated.
Frank

Tags
water, slide