Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-20-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I just repaired my pump (replaced diaphragm and valve kit) because of a leak. All is working and there is no longer a leak.

On two separate occasions I've heard a barely audible sound from the pump motor that stops when I turn on a faucet and after running a few seconds the sound does not reoccur. I will turn off the pump and let it set for hours, turn it on and there is no sound which indicates no leak.

A couple of days later, I heard that same low whirring sound. The sound is not like the one you get when the pump is operating. Any ideas as to this problem?

Nick
Journey '01
Old 11-20-2008, 10:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I just repaired my pump (replaced diaphragm and valve kit) because of a leak. All is working and there is no longer a leak.

On two separate occasions I've heard a barely audible sound from the pump motor that stops when I turn on a faucet and after running a few seconds the sound does not reoccur. I will turn off the pump and let it set for hours, turn it on and there is no sound which indicates no leak.

A couple of days later, I heard that same low whirring sound. The sound is not like the one you get when the pump is operating. Any ideas as to this problem?

Nick
Journey '01
Old 11-20-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Which pump - the 5.7?

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

It is the original pump, no model number on the literature but I know it is the 2.8 gpm model.

Nick
Old 11-21-2008, 03:37 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A couple of days later, I heard that same low whirring sound. The sound is not like the one you get when the pump is operating. Any ideas as to this problem? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nick, just a guess... -Is your water pump located near your hot water tank? I've often hear 'weird' quiet noises from my hot water tank when the electric element was energized.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

That's a good guess from troth - heater element noise, or maybe check valve noise (check valve noise only occurs when the water is flowing.)

I'm not familiar with that pump - I'll guess it has a mechanical pressure switch which should be pretty bullet-proof. The pump either runs, or it doesn't.

Since you just rebuilt it, maybe there is a very slight internal leak in the pump?

.. just guesses...

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

mine did that,it turned out it was one valve on the out side water faucet. It didn't leak but loose just enough pressure to cause the pump to run like that. I changed to the 5.7 smart pump and now i have more water flow than my house. best thing i've changed so far. Don
Old 11-21-2008, 11:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

It is near, but I have not been using the electric water heater at all since this problem began.

Nick