Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-03-2007, 08:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We've had our coach for about 6 months and use it every weekend. Has anyone had a problem with the water pump cutting out after 4 minutes of use? It's not constant use either.
We turn the pump off for 5 minutes, turn it on and it runs for another 4 minutes. I can put my hand on the pump and it's pretty warm, but it doesn't burn my hand and I can keep my hand on the pump. External temperatures don't seem to matter as it's done this at 70 down to 30 degrees. We've left the compartment door open to make sure circulation is good and it stops after 4 minutes. The manual does not mention any adjustments that could be made. It's only started doing this within the last month so I'm familiar with how it used to work.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Keith
'05 Itasca Horizon KD.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We've had our coach for about 6 months and use it every weekend. Has anyone had a problem with the water pump cutting out after 4 minutes of use? It's not constant use either.
We turn the pump off for 5 minutes, turn it on and it runs for another 4 minutes. I can put my hand on the pump and it's pretty warm, but it doesn't burn my hand and I can keep my hand on the pump. External temperatures don't seem to matter as it's done this at 70 down to 30 degrees. We've left the compartment door open to make sure circulation is good and it stops after 4 minutes. The manual does not mention any adjustments that could be made. It's only started doing this within the last month so I'm familiar with how it used to work.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Keith
'05 Itasca Horizon KD.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

We've not had that problem with our 5.7 pump. Do you have the Extreme Series filter in the water line by the pump or the smaller normal filter? I'm thinking the smaller one might restrict the flo and make it shut down ...just a guess, though from what you said it really doesn't sound like it is overheating. My suggestion would be to call ShurFlo and discuss it with them. They replaced mine under warranty a few months ago when it started leaking around the pump body.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

does it happen on both hot and cold?

I have been reading about a lot of shurflow pump problems...and had my own on the first week...the good news is the warranty and it is only a 30 minute repair at the most.

No matter what happens I would try to get a new pump. If its just the hot water I read that the check valve could be the problem..but i bet its the pump. I would make an appointment for service and before I went I would make sure they have one in stock before you go and get the run around and wait for the dealer to order it.

good luck
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have the mesh screen filter in the water line.
It doesn't matter if it's the hot or cold water. After 4 minutes of constant use for around 4 minutes the pump stops. After the system builds pressure and the pump stops like it should, the pump will not kick in if any of the water faucets are opened. I have to turn the power switch to the pump for 4-5 minutes before it starts back up.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Keith - real good chance your pump has a terminal illness. We are on our 4th pump. Original pump lasted about a year and then ran constantly, replacement pump worked about 10 seconds and quit. Next pump surged badly, last pump is okay but we still have some surging.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:50 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Keith,
There was a lot of discussion just a couple a weeks ago on this pump that you might want to check out. This pump has had it share of problems as indicated by the number of members of this forum. The good news is Shur Flo is very good about replacing it free of charge. Call them and good luck. I am on my second one in less than 6 weeks.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote