Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2005, 08:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We have the Shurflo 5.7 water pump in our 2004 Vectra. The pump works great but it sure seems loud, especially for a pump that is advertised as quiet. Does anyone have the same concern? I'm think maybe I have air in the system or something.
tstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 08:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have the Shurflo 5.7 water pump in our 2004 Vectra. The pump works great but it sure seems loud, especially for a pump that is advertised as quiet. Does anyone have the same concern? I'm think maybe I have air in the system or something.
tstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

My Shurflo just starting constantly running full bore (ratta-tat-tat) regardless of how much water is on demand. Dealer's response was "could not duplicate, must be air in the system", which will make it run full on. Last weekend it seemed to go back to normal operation on its own. Still don't trust it, though. Be patient and see if it doesn't self corect. you might try using it exclusivly for a while to purge any air.

Dick
Old 09-19-2005, 10:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Keep an eye on it. We have an 04 Horizon and the pump started running continuosly with very little pressure. Had to buy a new one in Canada $360.00CDN, but thats another story.There is a 3yr warranty on the pump and if you have any doubts send it to shurflo to check out.
hogbreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 11:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Just complained to Shurflo about the same thing. Their response was to run all water outlets simultaneously for about a minute to purge any air in the system. Running the faucets individually (one at a time) won't do it. Haven't tried it yet, but maybe it will help you - let us know...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 11:44 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I have the 5.7 and mine is quiet.

A few suggestions.

Watch you pump while someone turns on a faucet. Look for vibration. Check the mounting hardware. Take the hose off the outlet and let it run directly out of the pump.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 08:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

My factory pump was extremley noisy even though it was worked on twice. Finally at this year's rally they were able to quieten it by clamping and insulating the lines where they contacted the basement and interior walls. While the pump is not as quiet as a Surflo it is acceptable. Your problem may be the noisy lines more than the pump itself.
Dave
Old 09-20-2005, 07:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My service tech told me that the lines going into and out of the pump should not be "hard". Also, he stated that mounting the pump on a rubber pad or soft surface would help. Much of my sound was due to the fact it was installed directly on the storage unit floor allowing for vibration.
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 12:21 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hogbreth:
Keep an eye on it. We have an 04 Horizon and the pump started running continuosly with very little pressure. Had to buy a new one in Canada $360.00CDN, but thats another story.There is a 3yr warranty on the pump and if you have any doubts send it to shurflo to check out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You bot shafted at $360 but the dealers with Coast in Canada have it listed for about $420 now. That is why many of us in Canada buy accessories in the US. When I had CW Michigan put a Davis TruTrac on my gasser in 03, it was under $400 US installed. My dealer here wanted $1200 Cdn. Dealer wanted $960 for a 50AMP TRC Surge Protector - I bought from Cdn distributor to $390 Cdn. Coast Canada seems to be the problem as it supplies almost all the dealers and we get shafted - so I avoid them like the plaque for other than trivial items.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Installed a 5.7 on our 2000 Suncruiser a year ago. Promptly called Sureflo customer service when I found it was noisy upon initial installation. Rep said to run all flexible hose to the fuel tank. Tested this hypothesis with a piece of flex from pump inlet to filled bucket with no difference in noise. Pump is perfectly installed in rubber isolators with no potential non-isolated contact/conduction points I believe Sureflow is grasping at straws to claim "silent". Also a bit noisy on the AM radio, but many items are RF noisy. Chalked the "silent" claim up to advertising hype. Otherwise love the pressure and volume the new pump offers. the 5.7 is much better than the stock {a Sureflow 3 chamber) waterpump. Would do it again despite the little difference in acoustic pumping noise. Wanted the pressure and volume which the new pump surely provides.