Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-31-2007, 12:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Last week our shower hot water would get barely warm, but there was hot water at the kitchen and bath sinks.(The outside shower was turned off)My husband took the single handle faucet apart and removed the U shaped retaining clip, in order to remove the cartridge. The cartridge would not budge! I called Moen and Rob was very helpful. He is sending us a tool to attach to the stem which, when turned with pliers, will break the seal caused by mineral deposits. He e-mailed me instructions on how to take apart the cartridge so that it can be cleaned free of mineral deposits which most likely are keeping the balancing spool from equalizing the hot and cold water flow. Mineral deposits will build up in faucets that are not used very frequently. Moen's cartridge # is 1222, Winnie's is #07524005700, and the faucet is Winnie's #075241-06-000.

Rob told me that even if you have no paper work, model #, etc. to identify a Moen faucet, Customer Service can figure out what cartridge it uses by asking you a series of questions related to how the faucet works. Also, Rob said that on the inside of the faucet handle is a number that helps to identify the type of faucet and therefore the cartridge. Their web site www.moen.com is also very helpful.

I will let you know how successful we are in getting this fixed.

2005 Winnebago Adventurer 33V
Old 07-31-2007, 12:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Last week our shower hot water would get barely warm, but there was hot water at the kitchen and bath sinks.(The outside shower was turned off)My husband took the single handle faucet apart and removed the U shaped retaining clip, in order to remove the cartridge. The cartridge would not budge! I called Moen and Rob was very helpful. He is sending us a tool to attach to the stem which, when turned with pliers, will break the seal caused by mineral deposits. He e-mailed me instructions on how to take apart the cartridge so that it can be cleaned free of mineral deposits which most likely are keeping the balancing spool from equalizing the hot and cold water flow. Mineral deposits will build up in faucets that are not used very frequently. Moen's cartridge # is 1222, Winnie's is #07524005700, and the faucet is Winnie's #075241-06-000.

Rob told me that even if you have no paper work, model #, etc. to identify a Moen faucet, Customer Service can figure out what cartridge it uses by asking you a series of questions related to how the faucet works. Also, Rob said that on the inside of the faucet handle is a number that helps to identify the type of faucet and therefore the cartridge. Their web site www.moen.com is also very helpful.

I will let you know how successful we are in getting this fixed.

2005 Winnebago Adventurer 33V
Old 07-31-2007, 03:19 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Good info Cheryl. Thank you!
Old 07-31-2007, 04:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

We just had our Splendide serviced today for a couple of problems, one of which was a chattering when the hot water valve was activated. When the tech pulled the valve out, there were lots of mineral deposits in the valve inlet filter. He decided to look at the cold water valve and the inlet filter was about 98% clear.

Apparently hot water causes minerals to precipitate out and deposit where ever they can. This is in spite of us using filtration and usually a water softener

Thanks for the post Cheryl.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Update: The kit sent to us by Moen worked perfectly. We took out the cartridge/valve, dismantled it, and surprisingly, no mineral deposits! But, after rebuilding the valve using all the parts in the kit, my husband felt that the new lubricant was much thinner and lighter feeling. What he cleaned off the parts seemed thick and gummy. Everything went back in perfectly, and we have hot water!
Old 08-27-2007, 09:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Update #2: Well, the fix only lasted for two showers! Grrr! We removed the cartridge again and found the balancing spool was stuck, but everything was clean. Put it back in...two more showers only. A call to Moen resulted in an entire new cartridge being sent to us at no charge. The original owner of a Moen faucet incurs no charges for replacement parts as long as s/he owns the faucet...this according their tech support. Faucet lack of use, according to their tech support, is the reason the balancing spool will stick. They recommend turning the faucet on at least once every two weeks to prevent sticking.

Here's hoping the new cartridge solves the problem!
Old 10-29-2007, 12:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Final update: The brand new cartridge is in and we've finally had the opportunity to have the rig out and take at least six showers. The water is hot like it should be, so the new cartridge was the answer. Thank you, Moen!