Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hello all need some help with my shower mixing valve 2002 Journy with a single hot cold control knob. We waste more water trying to ajust water temp,the control knob is very hard to control small moves change water temp to extremes. Is there a better valve with burn protection like in your house. My cold and hot water supply are both good at the valve.Thanks in advance for any help.
N6560J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

When I had my 02 Horizon, I replaced mine with a Moen Posi-Temp valve to stop the scald risk. Most newer homes today have a thermostatic valve or posi-temp valve to stop scalding. It is code here in Florida, and if not,should be wherever there is a shower and risk of scalding.It only takes a second to get a serious burn from hot water. My 05 Horizon has the Moen Posi-temp valve installed
Bob O
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I had a 02 Journey DL with the exact same problem. It would "jerk" from too hot to too cold with no in between. If and when you got it adjusted like you wanted it was by accident. I worked on it, changed the seals, tried to loosen it up, all to no avail. On the model we had I was told to replace the valve with another brand, the wall between the bed room and shower would have to be removed to get to the back of the shower. After much checking with no success, I finally gave up. One of the things I do not miss anymore.

retired and loving it
h moffitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the help I will look into this Moen valve,is this valve not just behind the control like in your home? I"ll put a new shower on the back outside wall before I remove a inside wall!! Thanks again"
Old 01-18-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I replaced my shower valve without tearing out any walls. I did it working within the existing hole behind the trim plate that hides the valve body.The valve body is directly behind your trim plate in the angled part of the shower wall. It wasn't easy but I did it with a lot of patience,it took me about 2-3 hours.If you are not comfortable, get a good experienced Plumber, that you know or who somebody else recommends and ask the plumber if he is capable of doing this job without tearing anything out.
By the way, I don't physicaly work in the trade as a Plumber but I am one and own my own company and still fix my own plumbing sometimes. If you need more help contact my e-mail directly and I will be glad to help.
Bob O
Old 01-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Bob O I have installed valve's like this in my home. I was not sure if the valve was the same in my RV did this Moem valve help with the hot cold ajustment,my little girl is killing me with wasted water ajusting temp dry camping.I have jumped out once thanks again Phil
Old 01-19-2009, 03:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Just a suggestion but I believe the OEM valve is Moen (my '02 Journey has a Moen valve...bought the rig used so not sure if it is the original). Moen is very helpful. You might want to give their customer service # a call and see if they can recommend a new and improved cartridge for your existing valve. They may even send one no charge. I believe I have read elsewhere on this forum where folks have done that.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks smlranger free is always the place to start but It always ends full price for me
Old 01-19-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Phil, This is one example of a Moen Posi-Temp valve. If you go to the Moen Site with the below link it will tell you how the valve works. It starts out cold and turns counter clockwise getting hotter the further you turn it counter clockwise. It is an anti scald valve that will maintain the tempurature under all settings and circumstances. My 02 Horizon did not come with an anti scald valve, my 05 Horizon did come with one
Good luck.
http://www.moen.com/products/TL2301
Bob O
Old 01-19-2009, 12:24 PM   #10
KIX
Winnebago Master

Even with the anti-scald valve you'll use excess water getting the temp right. Here's an idea I heard of......tee a line back to the water tank fromthe outlet of the mix valve. control that line with an electric (12 vdc)sprinkler system valve and push button switch. All the water run to adjust temp goes back to the tank.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks again Bob O I will pull it apart this week. KIX that also sound like a good idea but I think we will be ok if I can get the valve to ajust more easily. Next step put gutters on the RV and catch rain water,my girls are hard on water. Great help thanks Phil
Old 01-20-2009, 05:13 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

One way to save water and keep the water temp stable is to install a shutoff valve inline with the shower head. The key is to use one that completely stops the water flow and not have the seepage as required by US standards(OSHA?). This one is from Taiwan and shuts off completely thus keeping the water at the same temp while there's no flow. I've had mine for 6 mos now and for just $5 it sure makes it easy to take a nice warm shower with very little water.
You can buy it HERE.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:28 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Earlier someone mentioned the use of a sprinkler valve to conserve water. This is what I posted back in 2006 ....

One more trick for water conservation...
I installed a 12 volt actuated valve in the hot water supply right under the bathroom sink. When flipped on it directs the water back into the fresh water tank. So when you want hot water for the sink or shower, turn the valve on for about 8 seconds or so then back off. Hot water without "wasting" all the cold water in the line. In my rig the hot water tank is way in the front right & the bath/shower is rear left. ...just one more little project when you get time!
Bill

HERE'S the link to the thread from a few years ago where I posted pictures of the "sprinkler valve bypass".
Old 01-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

WOW! Year's ago we found a shut-off like this in Quartsite, a valve that totally shuts off the water, but the O-ring finally twisted out, haven't been able to find one since. Does this one completely stop the dribble? If so, I will buy several. Thanks for the link, Duner...

Quote:
Originally posted by Duner:
One way to save water and keep the water temp stable is to install a shutoff valve inline with the shower head. The key is to use one that completely stops the water flow and not have the seepage as required by US standards(OSHA?). This one is from Taiwan and shuts off completely thus keeping the water at the same temp while there's no flow. I've had mine for 6 mos now and for just $5 it sure makes it easy to take a nice warm shower with very little water.
You can buy it HERE.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:36 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

i am trying to replace the shower mixing valve how do you remove the plastic lines from the fittings on the valve mine are rally stuck in the elbow fittins and i can't pull them out. email me at [email protected] or call 352-528-5170 i am really i a jam here.
thanks hullview
hullview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Hope my call helped you, good luck.