Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-25-2015, 08:09 PM   #61
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via MSN to Saber77
We'll be at the factory tomorrow to get on the standby list for repairs. They told me they will only work on 7 items, then I have to go to the end of the line. Of course we can't use the shower because it leaks plus the continuous hot water has also failed. Seems like something breaks every day. Today, the auto door lock quit working. We've had several wood trim quarter rounds fall off. Discovered they were tacked on with only 1 brad.....and it goes on.
Saber77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:22 PM   #62
Winnie-Wise

Good to hear that you will make it to the factory. Hopefully they will get you in quickly and at least get the shower and hot water fixed. The wood trim pieces should be easy enough to take care of yourself, although I agree that you shouldn't have to. If it were me I'd have them work on the major issues and save the small stuff for your dealer when you return home. The door lock could be something as simple as a loose connection. Here's hoping that you can leave the factory a happy owner.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:56 PM   #63
Winnebago Camper

Wonder what is magic about "seven". I agree that dealer networks should be stronger; more importantly, I believe we as owners, and the organizations that represent us (like FMCA) have to stand up to the industry and demand better quality. New coaches, regardless of brand, have far too many problems and issues. The manufacturers rely on the new owner to ID issues....by the way, shame on FMCA for not taking a stand with the RVIA (some of us tried to get movement on this last year to no avail...ridiculous and makes you wonder what FMCA does stand for!).

In any event, owners that accept this type of response from their company without major push back get what they deserve. JMHO, if Winnebago owners, or any new coach owners accept this type of company response, it simply encourages the companies to not fix the quality problems, provide adequate warrantee service bays, and demand dealer networks to improve responsiveness (which the companies pay for anyway). Bewilders me why dealers don't expand service responsiveness for warrantee work...gauranteed money, unless the manufacturers are slow to pay or put up other barriers to business.

I am sorry for your troubles...start of movement of Winnebago owners demanded more...JMHO.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:53 AM   #64
Winnebago Camper

7 items

I think I'd count the water heater, shower leak, door lock as items, and all the falling off trim as one item. I count four items, so you are under their seven, which is dumb. I mean if you made only seven payments, and then had to quit for a couple of months, and start making them anew, I think they would fail to understand that logic.

My Aspect has had small problems that I've been able to fix, and my dealer fixed a bad toilet. I still have a problem with Winnebago, now a big one. My fresh water tank straps broke. Working with them for a resolution. I'm out of warranty. Will follow your post to see how you problems get resolved, as we look for a larger coach.
Pkc303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:00 AM   #65
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Bewilders me why dealers don't expand service responsiveness for warrantee work...gauranteed money, unless the manufacturers are slow to pay or put up other barriers to business.
DSL417 - Just an FYI - when a dealership does warranty work, they get paid less than their posted rate... I guess the manufacturers will not pay the "posted" shop rate for repairs, like we have to...

Additionally, they will only pay a maximum set amount for each repair, regardless of how long it actually takes to fix..

So, in most cases, dealers would prefer NOT to do warranty work... They would much prefer "customer pay", as they will get their "posted" labor rate per hour.

An in case you were wondering, this goes the same for the auto industry..

So yes.. it's good "filler" work in case a dealership is slow.. but during the peak times, the dealer wants all the customer pay he can get.. I'd be willing to wager that's why many dealerships TRY to push people off to the end of the season.. we (customers) are not in a hurry to get our coaches back during the off season cause we're not using them.. plus it's naturally slower during off season.. having the warranty work is steady income to help make it thru a long winter season (especially for people like us in the northern midwest where our season is from Memorial Day to Labor Day)..

Good Luck Saber77 - I've been to Forest City and the guys at the service center are good people TRYING their best to make you a happy/satisfied customer.. I'm hoping once done there, you'll have many smiles and miles ahead of you...
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:17 AM   #66
Winnebago Owner

Folks are also missing the point that this is peak season in the RV shops for everywhere except maybe FL. I called 3 places with a slide problem. 2 never responded to a voice mail, the third in a rural area answered the phone and gave me an appointment 2 weeks out. I hope to get the MH back in 2 weeks or so as nobody seems to stock Schwintek motors.... OTOH CW is replacing both motors and the controller under the extended warraty package.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:34 PM   #67
Winnebago Camper

oakcreek, I understand fully what you're offering...it is an endemic problem in the RV industry. If the manufacturers won't pay the dealers, or argue on the number of hours to make a repair, that's a problem...and it occurs routinely.

The manufacturer that recognizes this and steps up in their relationship with dealers so the dealers don't feel like they are getting the raw end of the stick will get the first leg up in 'winning" the end user business. If they combine this with better quality than we see today, they'll take the next leg up.

But for us to accept anything less simply leads to a continuation of this situation. Honestly, the only out I see is the one organization that could have the clout to make a point with the industry...FMCA...I hope all will push this as an agenda within their owners clubs organized under FMCA. No one with a new coach should face the alternatives that we see routinely, not only with Winnebago in this case, but with all the manufacturers.

For the sake of argument, expecting the OP (and all of us) to pay a couple grand for fuel (and 5-10 vacation days) to drive Indiana (which by the way, my company expects as well) as opposed to solving the dealership and quality issues....well, JMHO, is spitting in our eye:(
Old 08-27-2015, 01:27 PM   #68
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
oakcreek, I understand fully what you're offering...it is an endemic problem in the RV industry. If the manufacturers won't pay the dealers, or argue on the number of hours to make a repair, that's a problem...and it occurs routinely.

The manufacturer that recognizes this and steps up in their relationship with dealers so the dealers don't feel like they are getting the raw end of the stick will get the first leg up in 'winning" the end user business. If they combine this with better quality than we see today, they'll take the next leg up.

But for us to accept anything less simply leads to a continuation of this situation. Honestly, the only out I see is the one organization that could have the clout to make a point with the industry...FMCA...I hope all will push this as an agenda within their owners clubs organized under FMCA. No one with a new coach should face the alternatives that we see routinely, not only with Winnebago in this case, but with all the manufacturers.

For the sake of argument, expecting the OP (and all of us) to pay a couple grand for fuel (and 5-10 vacation days) to drive Indiana (which by the way, my company expects as well) as opposed to solving the dealership and quality issues....well, JMHO, is spitting in our eye:(
Couldn't agree more...

However, your particular "company" makes a phenomenal product and caters to a smaller and more exclusive clientele than WBGO... If everything is as peachy as I read on your forum.. I think it could be a model for all others..

Personally... While I don't like the way WBGO and a lot of other manufacturers operate with regard to QC.. I also subscribe to the theory, you get what you pay for.. Hopefully, when I get to the point of paying for something like what you got.. I will truly "get" what I pay for...
Old 08-27-2015, 01:31 PM   #69
Winnebago Owner

Saber77 -

I read on another thread your RV got into a service bay today.. PLEASE update us on how things were handled.. did they get it fixed... are you satisfied with the way you were treated and your experience at Forest City...

Keeping fingers crossed for you to be on your way quickly !!
Old 08-27-2015, 02:59 PM   #70
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via MSN to Saber77
Well, Winnie fixed the leaking shower. A connection had come apart. Also got hot water fixed. Have to return tomorrow for the remainder of our punch list. The folks here have been great!
Saber77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:27 PM   #71
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber77 View Post
Well, Winnie fixed the leaking shower. A connection had come apart. Also got hot water fixed. Have to return tomorrow for the remainder of our punch list. The folks here have been great!
Congratulations! That's great to hear!
Old 08-27-2015, 03:31 PM   #72
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I guess the real question is why it came apart and could it happen again. Glad to see things are coming along.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:54 PM   #73
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Congratulations!

Did the repair technician show you their magic tool for "major repairs requiring panel disassembly"?? The mystical putty knife!

You're really going to want to learn and know how to gain access to the hidden areas in your coach, (for future plumbing and electrical repairs), as your warranty will be over soon enough.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:06 PM   #74
Winnebago Owner

Did you take a factory tour? We are considering a trip to Chicago next year and thought about stopping in for a tour on the way home.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:14 PM   #75
Winnebago Camper

"However, your particular "company" makes a phenomenal product and caters to a smaller and more exclusive clientele than WBGO... If everything is as peachy as I read on your forum.. I think it could be a model for all others.. "

Oakcreek...I don't think any manufacturer is clean. We have hammered my coach company on quality and quality control and they have taken some initiatives both internally and some dealers are stepping up. They still have work to do.

Maybe someday FMCA will step to the plate and become an advocate for the owner on these seemingly timeless issues with the industry.

Meantime, glad OP is getting in, fixed, and hopefully can salvage some vacation.

Tags
cat, leak, shower