Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-23-2006, 01:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

De-winterized the MH today hoping to leave for FL on Saturday. When I pressurized the water system the gold moen shower head continued to steadily drip away,from the head not a connection, despite the faucet and control at the top being in the off position. The dripping is not quite as much as when the top control is off while you soap up but as expected, when enough drips out the pump does what it's suppose to, it turns on until pressurized again and on and on it goes. I'm assuming when I hook up at a campground the pressure will cause the dripping to be a constant thing.

Don't think I'll have enough time prior to leaving on Saturday to get an appointment so I'd appreciate some ideas on what to look at and how to stop this problem.

If I can't get it to stop I'll just have to forget campground water system and use the holding tank making sure I turn off the pump after each use.

Sorry for the lenghty description. Thanks for any advice.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

De-winterized the MH today hoping to leave for FL on Saturday. When I pressurized the water system the gold moen shower head continued to steadily drip away,from the head not a connection, despite the faucet and control at the top being in the off position. The dripping is not quite as much as when the top control is off while you soap up but as expected, when enough drips out the pump does what it's suppose to, it turns on until pressurized again and on and on it goes. I'm assuming when I hook up at a campground the pressure will cause the dripping to be a constant thing.

Don't think I'll have enough time prior to leaving on Saturday to get an appointment so I'd appreciate some ideas on what to look at and how to stop this problem.

If I can't get it to stop I'll just have to forget campground water system and use the holding tank making sure I turn off the pump after each use.

Sorry for the lenghty description. Thanks for any advice.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I had a similar problem which I hate to tell you wasn't solved until I had the shower control valve completely replaced. Try a search using the key words "leaking shower control". There have been numerous threads on this.

Pete B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Bob,

Just as a temporary work-around, you might unscrew the shower hose and take off the shower head. Then take the hose down to your local hardware store and see if they have a cap that will screw on the end of the hose. You could uncap it and screw on the shower head when you need it.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We had the same problem when we were on the road somewhere in New England,We went to a Home Depot Store and bought a complete new faucet. Soon we realized it would not fit right and we went back into the store. The friendly handyman at HD came out to our motorhome in the parking lot. Took the whole thing apart and realized all we needed was a new washer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He found a Delta washer, put it in and presto, no more drips!!!
So, be brave, take it apart, get a new washer and hope it works as well as ours did.
He told us the Delta washers fit our faucets.
Good luck!!!

Adventurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

In far too many, the problem of dripping faucets is plumbing silicone particles that got into the plumbing when the coach was built. It gets into the Moen cartridge and won't let it seal. It can also seriously restrict water flow. We've had the problem on our kitchen faucet, and I have disassembled it at few times, each time getting blue silicone particles out. I have the leaks stopped, but have not yet been able to get the particles out of the pipe (I can see them, but have not yet found the right tool to extract them...) that are restricting the hot water flow. Some owners have just replaced the entire faucets ...I'm too stubborn to do that. I'll win the battle yet!! ..we all need a challenge in life, right?
Old 03-23-2006, 06:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I picked up just a simple gate valve at an RV store, so that when we
go dry camping i turn it off at the that point. That way I do not have
to adjust the temp when I turn it off and on, and it shuts the water
off with no runs no leaks and no drips. Installed after thle vacuum
brake. It should work to you can get a perment fix. TENN.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I GOT IT FIXED! Went to my dealer (Hill's RV Conway, NH) and he replaced the Moen Cartridge. He didn't have one in stock so he went to a brand new Journey and borrowed one. In the Army that was called "controlled canibalization." Turned the pump on, it pressurized, it turned off and no water coming from the shower. Gladly paid the bill, turned off the pump and headed home.
But wait there is more to the story! Got home, continued preparations for our trip. After my wife put chemicals and water into the black tank I left the pump on just to be sure all was ok. About 5 minutes later the pump came on. This time it's water leaking from the toilet water valve. Obviously I hadn't noticed this before. Called the dealer, he had the part so it was off on my 2nd 80 mile round trip of the day. Got home replaced it and PTL everything works
Old 03-24-2006, 04:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

When you winterized you may have left water in the mixing valve, thus freezing and cracking the valve. Did you turn the valve from hot to cold while you were pumping the antifreeze through the system??
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 04:34 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

For years now, rather than running antifreeze thru the system I've blown the lines with air. Never had a problem until this year. Obviously I didn't do a good enough job. I wonder if all the freeze thaw cycles this winter may have contributed to the problem? Anyway, the antifreeze I do use is a small amount so I see it in the pump strainer and then I pour some down each drain to protect the traps and also in the gray & black tanks to protect the valves. Next year I may go back to antifreeze in the entire system because the cost of a few gallons of antifreeze is less than $63 for the moen part, $48 for the toilet part and the gas for 2 80 mile round trips.

However considering everything, I'm glad I discovered it at home rather than on the road.

Speaking of the road, we're out of here in about 4 hrs, heading to Florida with our daughter and 2 grandsons to see Mickey and then go to Daytona for the RV Show.