Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2005, 02:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I want to change my shower control valve which has little or no adjustment for hot and cold. I have read the past posts on this subject. I have seen several numbers for the moen replacement valve. When you remove the bezel surrounding the valve, is it a screw on fitting? Also has anyone been able to match the brass of the shower head?

Pete B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 02:28 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I want to change my shower control valve which has little or no adjustment for hot and cold. I have read the past posts on this subject. I have seen several numbers for the moen replacement valve. When you remove the bezel surrounding the valve, is it a screw on fitting? Also has anyone been able to match the brass of the shower head?

Old 04-08-2005, 03:54 AM   #3

I don't know the particulars, but just dive into it, it's suppose to be very simple to replace.

Tomcat F51
Old 04-08-2005, 07:12 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I bought a new Moen single handle polished brass control, and tried to replace it before we left for Florida, but wasn't able to do it then. The temps were below freezine and even though I tried heating up the water lines which are clamped onto barbed elbow fittings on the old control, I was unable to remove them.

I was concerned about breaking the elbows, or damaging the water lines, before leaving for our trip, and having no water. So I left the project for a more convenient time, which hasn't come yet :-).

I'm thinking that a heat gun or some concentrated heat source might be needed to soften to plastic water lines enough to pull them off. If not, then cutting them is the other option, which then they will need to be spliced in order to rec-connect to new valve.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I am not sure of why u need to replace valve. You say not much adjustment for water temperature. My single handle Moen came with the valve in backwards. The hot was the first thing to come on making it appear as if there was no hot water because we were trying to find the hot in the far left position. I left it as a item for Winn tech to fix. They did it wrong and made the handle work all hot to far left and all cold to far right with no mixing. I took the valve out and figured how to set it up correctly. It takes a little study but only 5 minutes to fix. Hope this helps if these systoms are the same you have.

Ford V10
Rapid Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rapid Ray:
I am not sure of why u need to replace valve. You say not much adjustment for water temperature. My single handle Moen came with the valve in backwards. The hot was the first thing to come on making it appear as if there was no hot water because we were trying to find the hot in the far left position. I left it as a item for Winn tech to fix. They did it wrong and made the handle work all hot to far left and all cold to far right with no mixing. I took the valve out and figured how to set it up correctly. It takes a little study but only 5 minutes to fix. Hope this helps if these systoms are the same you have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rapid Ray - I have the original valve that Winnebago puts in which is not a Moen. I am looking to replace it with a moen which people say has better temperature control. I went to the home store today, but could not find anything suitable in brass.

Old 04-08-2005, 02:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

We've only had our Journey since Feb. and have used it x 2. We noticed that it seems to take forever for the water to get hot in the shower, while there is plenty of hot water available quickly at other faucets. It has the single level Moen. I use a fixed water pressure regulator on the city water line so thought it might be due to low pressure. Is this the particular problem that has been described with the valve??
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 04:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt.Bill:
I bought a new Moen single handle polished brass control, and tried to replace it before we left for Florida, but wasn't able to do it then. The temps were below freezine and even though I tried heating up the water lines which are clamped onto barbed elbow fittings on the old control, I was unable to remove them.

I was concerned about breaking the elbows, or damaging the water lines, before leaving for our trip, and having no water. So I left the project for a more convenient time, which hasn't come yet :-).

I'm thinking that a heat gun or some concentrated heat source might be needed to soften to plastic water lines enough to pull them off. If not, then cutting them is the other option, which then they will need to be spliced in order to rec-connect to new valve. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Capt Bill do you remember the part no for the valve. I have been trying to find a brass single handle valve but I have only found chrome or pewter which would not match the shower head.

Old 04-09-2005, 07:26 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

The Moen part No. you're probably looking for is 82345. Winne lists them as
The part numbers are:

Moen

Valve 1445960101A
Trim 1445960201A
Plug 1450901000
Bracket 1337210102B

You might try the following website for lower price on the MOen 82345:
&lt;http://www.webdb.com/aim/shopping/Ca...ETS-SHOWER&gt;
kellysrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 09:16 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

My 2004 Meridian came with the Moen Posi-temp pressure balancing valve to prevent "Shower Shock", at least that is the propaganda that comes with the MH. When starting out on the hot setting we find it takes 30-45 seconds before you start to feel any warm, then before you can turn it down toward cold its burning hot. No matter how careful its turned down toward cold, it will be cold before you know it. The water has to run 60-90 seconds before you get it close enough to start getting wet. And just when you think its about right, it may suddenly get colder or hotter. All this is bad enough when on full utilities, but dry camping is bad. My old Southwind with two-handle faucets was much easier. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but after RVing for 16 years I can't imagine what it would be. Good luck on your changes.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 01:23 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Pete, I bought a Moen L2353P from Here, because it has the features and finish that I wanted, even though I didn't need the tub spigot.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 02:47 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I replaced the shower control valve on my 2003 Adventurer 35U with a moen. Use a hair dryer to soften the water lines and then they will easily slip over the barbed fittings. But, before you remove the large nuts where the water lines attach to the original control valve be careful to not allow the nuts to slid down the water line out of reach (in the wall). I loosly wrapped some tape on the water lines approx. 4" from the end to stop the nuts from going any farther.

Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 05:55 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

With our single handled Moen things are NOW great. Yes, you have to wait for the hot water to get there. But once you feel the warmth just turn it to the middle and things will level out quickly. Make sure the adjustable head is a little to the high flow and you wont get the off and on pump syndrome. I have increased the flow by enlarging the plastic fittings along the hose and sealing off the vacuum thingy.

Ford V10
Rapid Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 02:39 PM   #14

We had ours replaced by our dealer. It still is a little sensitive, but like Rapid Ray said, once the hotwater starts to come turn it to the middle and it flows nice. We also had the newer SurFlo pump instaled and that is real nice for dry camping situation. More pressure. I too would like to know why it takes so long for the shower water to get hot? The bathroom sink four feet away gets hot a lot quicker. And with it being hot at the tap the shower still takes longer?
no18yes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 03:31 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

This is the part you are looking forhttp://www.webdb.com/aim/shopping/Product.asp?82345
I replaced my 03 with the new valve and love it. Do remember to tie a string to the lines before removing. Heat up the tubing and take your time. Not too hard, but worth every minute.

03 Adventurer 35-U
Titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 11:51 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

The non-Moen valve on our Suncruiser was awful - we could never get it right. When we got our new Meridian with a Moen unit I thought we would be golden, but the new unit would only go full hot or full cold. Arrgh. Then I noticed that the word "Moen" was upside down and backwards. The handle was installed wrong and didn't align with the notch on the control head. I took it off and reversed it - solved!
Old 04-19-2005, 09:26 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Gave my DW a MOEN for Xmas, but I had to install, took razor to the barbed
90 degree coupling, cut about 1/4 in. off of plastic pipe. Hot and Cold
water pipe. Installed 2 new 90 degree fitting, one leaked of course. After
removing it several times, and each time using a new elbow, I started to
drink, NO NO thats another story! I took it to ERICS RV and he used pipe
dope, and said it may be Machined wrong, cause it went in hard, and if it
did not hold *!$#&&%(%^$#^*$! BUT IT DID!! Now it did not screw to the
back metal plate like the old one did, I took 2 metal clamps with rubber
backing and 2 self tapping screws. The adjustment know was set at about
1:30 maybe 2 oclock. It was worth the effort, but i am still going to those
old meetings, AA! coopcolt The MOEN # was something like 83245, on line $135.
coopcolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 08:21 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Replaced mine late last summer. What a differance. Color matches with the shower head and works great. I didn't do any heating or cutting. It was an almost plug and play.
747Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 08:24 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

My shower knob broke in pieces the first time I used it. I found that while slightly unsightly the shower works great with the joystick left after knob was gone. I can live with it this way because it works alot better. So until you takle the job of trying a Moen, try just removing the knob. I may fashion a cover ot of a teak dowel to clean up the appearance.

1997 Jeep Wrangler
hotrod 32 is offline   Reply With Quote