Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-27-2006, 11:17 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I spent two days this weekend working on installing a new tank monitoring system from Garnet industries called SeeLevel II. It is a huge step forward in monitoring your fresh, black and gray water systems, as well as LP levels and Battery condition.

Kudos to moderator Joe-K in the product evaluation forum for his extensive post complete with pictures. It really got me started on the right foot. And the mounting box sourced by "Flyer" at the Home Depot really made the install professional looking.

However, a few points here that are particular to my 06' Meridian. First, the really big challenge was to remove the metal facia in front of my black and gray tanks. The facia has 4 different water outlets on it, all of which require you to reach around and unscrew the connecting water lines. There are also two electrical switches with several wires, and the whole thing was held on with about a dozen screws. Most of this had to be done with the use of a mirror to see behind the panel, and detach the fittings by brail. However, putting everything back on was a lot easier.

The other major help was going to the Winnie site here on this forum, and printing the section on the electrical schematics that diagrams the "one place" panel. It really helped to be able to identify each incoming wire and what it powers.

Wiring the fresh tank was not bad at all. I just put the upper and lower senders on different sides of the tank. All the wiring was accomplished by using the existing sensor wiring.

I moved fairly cautiously and took about a day and a half to complete the install. If I were to do it again, it would be about half as long.

A truely great mod, and not too difficult.

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:17 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I spent two days this weekend working on installing a new tank monitoring system from Garnet industries called SeeLevel II. It is a huge step forward in monitoring your fresh, black and gray water systems, as well as LP levels and Battery condition.

Kudos to moderator Joe-K in the product evaluation forum for his extensive post complete with pictures. It really got me started on the right foot. And the mounting box sourced by "Flyer" at the Home Depot really made the install professional looking.

However, a few points here that are particular to my 06' Meridian. First, the really big challenge was to remove the metal facia in front of my black and gray tanks. The facia has 4 different water outlets on it, all of which require you to reach around and unscrew the connecting water lines. There are also two electrical switches with several wires, and the whole thing was held on with about a dozen screws. Most of this had to be done with the use of a mirror to see behind the panel, and detach the fittings by brail. However, putting everything back on was a lot easier.

The other major help was going to the Winnie site here on this forum, and printing the section on the electrical schematics that diagrams the "one place" panel. It really helped to be able to identify each incoming wire and what it powers.

Wiring the fresh tank was not bad at all. I just put the upper and lower senders on different sides of the tank. All the wiring was accomplished by using the existing sensor wiring.

I moved fairly cautiously and took about a day and a half to complete the install. If I were to do it again, it would be about half as long.

A truely great mod, and not too difficult.

Sarge

Old 11-27-2006, 05:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hi Sarge
I just got mine today and be trying to do the install in the coming weeks. Thanks for your input.

Tcloud

https://irv2.com/photopost/data/2/1029VAC_2004_4_139-thumb.jpg
Tcloud7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I'd like to do the same thing eventually, but it looks like gaining access to the fresh water tank is going to present some major difficulties.

There is a manufacturer (don't remember the name) of tank gauges that detects levels by a small sensor that reads pressure. The sensor can be installed in the bottom of the tank or into a fitting. This product will be my first choice when I start this project.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:48 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

John,

I'm not sure if your Horizon is much different from my Meridian for access to the fresh water tank. It was truely just a matter of removing the small panel on the end of the tank. Other than having to lay under the rig on your back, (a good mechanics creeper is a must) the install was simple.

For me it was a simple matter of deciding that the old system was no longer needed, or feasable. I popped the old sensors off the tank with a putty knife, wiped the surface with Denatured Alcohol, and applied the new ones. Easy stuff.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
There is a manufacturer (don't remember the name) of tank gauges that detects levels by a small sensor that reads pressure. The sensor can be installed in the bottom of the tank or into a fitting. This product will be my first choice when I start this project. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John, this is the company I think you are refering to. HERE
They say you can install the sensors on the top of the drain lines - behind the drain valves. That can make the installation much simpler in many cases.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Clay - yes - I believe that's the one. The company doesn't seem to have its product widely in use so that would be a concern of mine.

Sarge - in our chassis the FW tank is between the frame rails and I haven't seen an easy way to gain access to the tank. I haven't looked under the chassis though. Perhaps there is a way to get to the side of the tank by removing some sheet metal - I'll look into this when that project bubbles to the top of the list.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:50 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

John,

Yep, that's where mine is at too. The access panel faced the front of the rig, lower right corner of the tank enclosure.

Old 11-29-2006, 06:20 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

John,

In reading Catcon's installation manual (pdf) they do not recommend installing their sensor in the bottom of the tank as solids accumulating on top of the sensor may affect its accuracy. They also require a four wire connection; therefore, new wires will have to be run between each sensor and the monitor. SeeLevel can use the existing wire harnesses between the sensors and monitor. It would be interesting to know what their pricing is (they do not publish it on their web site).
DLBatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:27 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

John,

I know someone (BucknJeff) that had the pressure system in place on thier old journey. I do not believe they cared for it all that much, I seem to remember him ranting about having to recalibrate all the time.

We have another friend that uses SeeLevel, and is very happy with it... When and If we decide to do it, It would be seelevel, but so far my probes work as well as they can...

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:58 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

DL & John - yeah - I'm leery of the product just because of a lack of experience with it or experience that has been reported on the forums. When I get closer to improving the tank level thing, I'll really immerse myself in some more research.

Sarge - I now think I can get to the FW tank by removing a panel - that is reassuring!

Old 11-29-2006, 06:11 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

John: I'd be very leery of the company mentioned. The website I found for them showed a lot of gonna-be-soon references for products other than the RV products and commercial kitchen products. I got Nil about the company or FAQs on their website. I did a search of their Company Name on Thomas's Register and again came up with zip. Smells sorta like a one-man cottage business, IMHO

Cisco and Pancho,
DickNJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:25 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Dick - that's exactly the impression I was getting. I'm always concerned about service after the sale and the long-term viability of whom I do business with.

Sarge - didn't mean to hijack your thread

Old 11-30-2006, 04:31 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Hey, no problem John! I like finding out what other products are out there. This site is a terriffic source of knowledge and folks willing to go the extra mile to provide answers

Old 11-30-2006, 05:47 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I put the SeeLevel system in this past summer. Got it from www.rvupgrade.com
I love the system. I had to call the company with some questions I had cause everything I do is made more complicated than it has to be by myself. And they are easy to contact and easy to talk to. That's very important to me.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:30 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

I know what you mean Mike. I did some head scratching until I remembered the wiring schematic here on the Winne forum. I was a lot more comfortable cutting wires when I was sure what the wire controlled.

Mine came from RV Upgrades as well. Good folks to deal with.

Old 12-01-2006, 04:17 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I sure hope mine gos well. I have it but waiting for the time to put it in.

Tcloud

https://irv2.com/photopost/data/2/1029VAC_2004_4_139-thumb.jpg
Tcloud7 is offline   Reply With Quote