Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2015, 12:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Sanitize Water System - Drinking Filter Question

I'm getting ready to sanitize my water system and was looking for info on the drinking water filter under the sink. Do I just remove the filter and that will prevent water from leaking or is there some other procedure for the filter? The manual skips this under disinfecting fresh water systems but discusses a diverter plug for use in winterizing.

I noticed there is a shutoff under the sink for the ice-maker, should I use that or just shut off the ice maker.

Other helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Including a source for the drinking filter.

Also, I'm going to flush the hot water heater through the drain plug - any suggestions for this?
Old 05-26-2015, 05:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The under sink just pops out with a twist and seals, so no leaks.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks
Old 05-27-2015, 08:56 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

My under sink Everpure has a shut off valve on the filter head ...kind of a plastic handle that rotates upward until it stops ...to shut off water flow to remove the filter.

That filter should be changed periodically ...like annually or so. Most rv dealers have the filters. I normally order one when I order sediment filters from http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com They have best prices I have found, and about the only place I easily find sed-1 sediment filters. I use a sediment filter outside.

For flushing the wh, get a flushing wand at any rv place. It really helps.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I believe the Everpure filters came with a plug that replaces the filter to allow sanitizing the line to the faucet and icemaker.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
I believe the Everpure filters came with a plug that replaces the filter
That would be the diverter plug the open mentioned. To remove either the filter or the plug, the water must be turned off OR the turn-off valve on the filter head must be closed. It gets pretty wet pretty fast under the sink if the water flow is not turned off before twisting the filter off. Been there done that.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
My under sink Everpure has a shut off valve on the filter head ...kind of a plastic handle that rotates upward until it stops ...to shut off water flow to remove the filter.

That filter should be changed periodically ...like annually or so. Most rv dealers have the filters. I normally order one when I order sediment filters from RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV They have best prices I have found, and about the only place I easily find sed-1 sediment filters. I use a sediment filter outside.

For flushing the wh, get a flushing wand at any rv place. It really helps.
Did you install a permanent sediment filter? I bought a TastePure for filling up and I have the wand for the water heater. Thanks for the link.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
I believe the Everpure filters came with a plug that replaces the filter to allow sanitizing the line to the faucet and icemaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
That would be the diverter plug the open mentioned. To remove either the filter or the plug, the water must be turned off OR the turn-off valve on the filter head must be closed. It gets pretty wet pretty fast under the sink if the water flow is not turned off before twisting the filter off. Been there done that.

Can I sanitize the ice maker line? I would think I would have to disconnect that at the back of the fridge so as to keep bleach out of the freezer. There is a shut off valve on the line going to the ice maker.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Did you install a permanent sediment filter?
. I use an sed-1 between the hydrant & the shore water connection. I do not use a charcoal filter outside as I want the city water chlorine in the water lines & tank. The Ever pure filter under the sink takes care of drinking water & ice make for taste filtering.

Quote:
Can I sanitize the ice maker line? I would think I would have to disconnect that at the back of the fridge so as to keep bleach out of the freezer. There is a shut off valve on the line going to the ice maker.
You could, but I never have sanitized that line. I disconnect and drain the upper line at the solenoid on the back of the fridge for winterizing and run rv antifreeze through the lower line, and always toss out the first tray or two of ice after we take it out of storage.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:54 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Hi Nomad Mike,

You have a plug that has to take the place of the filter when you remove the filter. On my 2004 it was a white cap like device. I had to turn up the diverter valve and then remove the Everpure filter and install this cap like device.I would not leave ice maker valve open when sanitizing because you would have to make a bunch of ice and then make some more when you fill the system with water. I would also bypass the water heater while sanitizing.

Normally whenever I return from camping I drain the hot water heater and the fresh water tank and relieve the pressure on the system.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:57 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

You mentioned "keeping the bleach out of the ice" --- I do not sanitize using bleach --- I use peroxide. I do this by using 2 ounces of peroxide to 10 gallons of water --- or in the case of my 100 gallon tank, 20 ounces. This is the peroxide that you buy from any store and the nice thing about it is that there is no after "flavor or odor" and you do not have to drain your system and flush to get rid of the "chlorine" smell or taste. And if you drink some of the peroxide water, it will not hurt you -- a lot of people use it to gargle with or to clean their teeth. Just a thought. And as Paul said above, after sanitizing, I always throw out the first ice basket of ice to make sure that the sanitized water has made it through the ice maker line.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:56 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

So I can't find a diverter plug. Previous owners must have liked and kept it as a souvenir.

The manual does not mention the water filter, the ice maker, the heater or using the diverter plug. They do say under winterizing that the diverter plug is only for winterizing.

So if I flip the lever up on the purifier, will that stop water flow? If not, I need to get a diverter plug first as I really don't want to run bleach through the filter every time I need to sanitize.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:06 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
So I can't find a diverter plug. Previous owners must have liked and kept it as a souvenir.

The manual does not mention the water filter, the ice maker, the heater or using the diverter plug. They do say under winterizing that the diverter plug is only for winterizing.

So if I flip the lever up on the purifier, will that stop water flow? If not, I need to get a diverter plug first as I really don't want to run bleach through the filter every time I need to sanitize.
So I flipped the lever and left the filter on, and water flowed normally out the drinking faucet.

I have a diverter plug on order but it will not arrive until next week and I want to get this done now. I'm planning on replacing the purifier filter anyway, so I think I will sanitize it with the filter in place.

Edit: I called Winnebago service and they said to sanitize the whole thing, don't divert from the purifier, water heater or ice maker and I don't need to replace the filter afterward.

Your thoughts on this advice?

Tags
water