Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Replacing a drippy kitchen faucet

The gaskets on our kitchen faucet appear to be going (for the last several years).

Is the suggested replacement an "RV" faucet (very expensive) or a Home Depot/Lows type at half the price?
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Just replaced mine with one from the depot.
farmallbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmallbob View Post
Just replaced mine with one from the depot.
Any "footprint" size considerations or connection concerns?

Obviously the home units use copper or PVC connections and the RV used clear plastic tubing.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #4

The "footprint" of the faucet will be the same, the spacing between the holes in the sink will match up.

PEX tubing is becoming popular in sticks and bricks houses, and our menards has a good selection of pex fittings and adapters, stuff that does not need the expensive band clamp crimpers that most of the stuff in our rv's is put together with.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

The ones at depot or Lowes are exactly the same size and piping as the RV ones. However they are definitely better.

Fairly easy to change out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Buy the one you like from HD, Lowes or the local Ace Hardware. connections should make up

ken
Old 04-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

This project I'm looking forward to and know that it will earn me extra "points with the DW!!
Old 04-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

The pex fittings screwed right on the copper tube fittings on the Moen faucets I bought. The kitchen faucet I bought has a pull out sprayer in the spout and I had to drill a hole next to the one the supply cables went through for the sprayer tube. Other than that no mods were needed.

The bathroom faucet was not much fun because it was hard to get to but it fit great. I got one that goes a lot farther out over the basin and it is a lot easier to wash my hands now. I really hated the old short spout faucet,
Old 04-30-2012, 11:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We're going to get a match to the one we have in our kitchen at home. The faucet itself pulls out as one piece sprayer. We'll Gett'er Done in the next few weeks.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Access to change kitchen Faucet

I have a 2003 Winnebago Sightseer, I would like to change the faucet, I was wondering are there tricks to get better access to remove the water lines from the old fixture and to connect lines to the new faucet. The space under the sink looks pretty small.
garryjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I removed the clamps from the bathroom sink so I could lift it up to get to the two nuts that held the faucet in place easier. It wasn't much fun putting the two clamps back on but I think it was slightly easier.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
The gaskets on our kitchen faucet appear to be going (for the last several years).

Is the suggested replacement an "RV" faucet (very expensive) or a Home Depot/Lows type at half the price?

I did it (Winney Adventurer 1999) with a Home Depot unit. I had to modify one of the holes (very simple). Everything else fit just fine. And, best of all, SO loves it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryjay View Post
I have a 2003 Winnebago Sightseer, I would like to change the faucet, I was wondering are there tricks to get better access to remove the water lines from the old fixture and to connect lines to the new faucet. The space under the sink looks pretty small.
"The space under the sink looks pretty small."

That's cause it is!!!!!! No biggy. Use some rolled up towels to cushion your back and shoulders from the cabinetry you will be laying on, and GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:49 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

A sink basin wrench helps too since it can get to the nuts from below.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:18 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

To replace or not to replace a faucet.

About the only thing I can add to this Thread is to be sure and take the old faucet with you so you will be able to make sure it will fit.
Just a thought.Tt
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post

Whatever fails to float your boat when you don't want your boat floated (That is does not leak)

Your choice.

I replaced one of my bathroom faucets.. Turns out the one from the RV store was the lower cost.

NOTE: you may be able to service the one you got.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

If your current kitchen faucet is a Moen, it is likely covered by a lifetime warranty. The drip is a likely from a faulty cartridge if its a Moen. If you take it (the cartridge) into a Moen dealer (Home Depot), they will likely be able to replace it on the spot. I would not want to put an "RV faucet" in the kitchen. The major difference is the RV units use plastic valve mechanisms on the taps and are much less durable/serviceable than a residential unit.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I have been a plumber for 30 years and what I would tell you is to buy a faucet you can easily get parts for. I bought a Tuscany faucet from Menards and when it started to leak no parts to repair were available. The faucet looked good but if you can't get parts what good is it. In my area Delta faucet parts are available everywhere and if you call Delta they are very nice and will send you parts for free since their faucets have a lifetime warranty. Just my opinion.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heating man View Post
The faucet looked good but if you can't get parts what good is it. In my area Delta faucet parts are available everywhere and if you call Delta they are very nice and will send you parts for free since their faucets have a lifetime warranty. Just my opinion.
Agree. Just changed my kitchen and bath faucets. Delta for one and Moen for the other. Be aware that most faucets today come with hoses attached that mate to standard shutoffs. Bring your old faucet with you ... in all likelihood you'll need to add a coupler between new faucet hoses and your old supply lines.
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Install some extensions to the new faucet BEFORE you drop it in the hole to hook up. Get some nipples that will fit the lines coming in and the extensions. It will make hooking up the new faucet a snap without being a contortionist!
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote