Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2006, 04:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Has anyone removed the Moen faucet from the galley sink w/o special tools? ...if so, how do you do it?
Old 03-24-2006, 04:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Has anyone removed the Moen faucet from the galley sink w/o special tools? ...if so, how do you do it?
Old 03-25-2006, 06:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

If your NOT good at working blind, than your going to have to crawl under sink and use open end wrench on nut that holds faucet to deck of sink. The nut wholes a large U shape washer that has to be slipped out to release faucet from deck. HAVE FUN. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

There isn't room for me to get under the sink ...I did manage to get my head under there to look around, but it's eiter head of an arm ...not both at the same time...I went to a Lowes today and saw in a new faucet pack what the "installation tool" looks like. They had some similar plumbing tools for sale but none anywhere near as long. If I can't find the tool at a plumbing place, guess I'll see if I can get it from Moen. I have some deep sockets, but don't think they are anywhere near deep enough for this job.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:57 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Out of curiosity: are you doing this because of low pressure? Ours won't even let the spray operate yet all other faucets, including the one for the water purifier, have plenty of pressure.

Will watch this thread with interest...I have an advantage: I'm an Army Grunt (not an AF Chaplain) so I can really TALK to the fixture to get it off if necessary Steve
Old 03-25-2006, 12:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">are you doing this because of low pressure? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes ...that's the short answer...

We've had several problems with the kitchen faucet. Early on we noticed the pressure on the sprayer had dropped severely. I took it apart and found two filter screens in the tubing ...both screens had a lot of tiny blue silicone particles caught in them. I cleaned the screens and the sprayer was fine again. Then we had a dripping faucet that I could sometimes cure by turning the head just right. The hot water pressure also dropped to less than half the cold water side. Eventually it leaked all the time. I took it apart and found blue silicone particles in the hot water port into the cartridge. I removed what I could, and the leak stopped. I have been unable to get the rest of the silicone plug from the copper tubing that enters the cartridge camber ...I can see it, but the port in down inside the narrow chamber and I have been unable to reach it with anything I have tried. I have also tried pushing a wire through the tubing from the bottom, but the wire won't make the last 90 degree turn. I am hoping by taking the faucet off, I will be able to push the blockage out with a wire, or blast it out with high pressure air or water.

Apparently Winnebago techs do not clear the plumbing of crud left after asembly before installing the faucets. I know of many who have simply replaced the kitchen faucets due to poor pressure. They undoubtedly had silicone or similar assembly crud blocking theirs too. I am a stubborn farm boy used to fixing things, so since I can see the problem, I am trying the fix route rather than going directly to replacement.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

When you went to Lowes, you could see if they will let you copy the instructions,parts list, for braking down the faucet. Must give you a parts list for internals of the faucet. should be able to get replacement parts if you can't clean out chips. I would run water thru before reassemble to clear out remaining chips in pipes. I think I have a tool for nut removal its a black tube 7" long with impression to fit on nut, I have faucet in my kitchen. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 05:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I have all the instruction sheets, parts lists, etc from the Moen website. And I've had the faucet all apart several times. The problem at this point is flushing out the copper tubing that is a part of the basic structure ...there is no more to take apart ...I've tried shooting air through it in place without success, but it would be much easier to work with if I can get the faucet off the sink. The 7" plastic tube thing is what I need for the nut removal. I've emailed Moen to see if I can get one from them ...wouldn't be surprised if they just mailed it to me. Also thought if I could find a plumber, they might have one or more laying around from previous installations that they would be willing to part with.