Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-14-2006, 10:56 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

I checked and I have two ceiling vents, one grey and one black. I plan to add the Xtreme Vents when I return from this trip. Hopefully, that will solve the odor problem. If not, I guess I can remove the vacuum breaker and plug the cap.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 12:21 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BillArf:
Really would be better to find the reason for the odor and to correct the problem rather then defeating the plumbing/venting system. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's exactly what I did - I re-engineered Winnebago's faulty design and corrected the problem. I have zero odors nor have I had any problems elsewhere since the modification.

Do a search on "odors" and she how many posts that have been made on just this subject. Obviously there's a problem. Some engineer (?) sits at a CAD machine all day designing plumbing systems. Do you think he's ever actually tested the system for odors?

Also, where in the "black bag" does it state, "make sure and fill all the traps with water after dumping?"
Old 05-14-2006, 03:10 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Dan,

How did you re-engineer and fix your odor problem?
Old 05-14-2006, 03:46 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

It's noted in this thread.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:45 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2004 40AD and it had a similar problem. I discovered that both the Kitchen and bathroom sink cabinets are open around the drain and supply pipes directly into the water/sewer service bay. If you have someone outside with a flashlight at night and look under your sinks you will see the light.
Ensure you keep the cap in the blackwater hose connection for flushing/cleaning, it is open to the black tank. The opening under the bathroom sink I stuffed with packing matl and closed the top in. I am yet to do the kit sink but do have the opening stuffed with a towel.

There are NO smells at all inside. I could not believe the inside was open directly to the sewer area allowing the smell and also any pests etc. to enter the living area.

A simple fix to a simple problem.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 08:11 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Lindsay,

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I have the same open area around the pipes. I need to figure a good way to close them in. Maybe some type of foam insulation.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:16 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

The only problem with foam insulation is that it is rather permanent so should you have a plumbing problem it will be difficult to work on. I used bubble wrap in the bathroom and a towel in the kitchen, worked OK. I do need to do something more permanent in the kitchen.

Also in my bathroom the partition under the sink went straight across so I removed it and made it a right angle so that gave me more storage space and a smaller hole to fill. With a cover over that I have a shelf there now.

Old 05-15-2006, 10:20 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

I have this problem also. The odor comes from under my kitchen sink. We just returned from a trip to the dealer and the tech told me that the odor was because of the vent being under the kitchen sink. He said he didn't understand why Winnabego installed it there. He said there was nothing I could do about it. I've owned several Motorhomes and new this wasn't normal. I've played around with different things and this is what I found out:
I have two roof vents. If I turn on the vent in the galley that's right above my sink, I have the smell. If I turn it off; the smell is gone.
I can use the vent in the bathroom all day and never get a smell. So I guess I'll have to never use my vent in my kitchen. Because the smell is so bad that I wash my pans before I use them as I have mine stored under my kitchen sink.

Sweet40FD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:55 AM   #29
Winnie-Wise

Sweet40FD,

Glad to see you have discovered this thread also, about the vent. As indicated in the thread the vent is easily replaced. However, if you are getting the smell when you turn the kitchen vent on, you may not have water in the trap under the sink drain. If there is too much suction when draining the sink, sometimes the trap drains also, that is what the under sink vent is supposed to stop. Make sure you have water in the sink trap and see if that helps.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:01 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

How do I check the sink trap? I don't know what to look for.
Thank you,
Cheryl

Old 05-15-2006, 02:50 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

Tom and Barb (Sweet40FD),

I started this thread and the description of your problem is exactly what I have experienced with my 40AD. I know the odor is coming from under the sink. It is not coming from the toilet and the p-traps in the sink and shower are full of water. I have changed the vacuum breaker and still have the odor.

Here's what I plan to do when I return from this trip. I will install two Xtreme vents on the roof, one on the black vent and one on the grey. Based on Lindsay's idea I also plan to plug the large hole around the pipes under the sink.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:56 PM   #32
Winnie-Wise

Sweet40FD,

The sink trap is the S curve like drain pipe under the sink - all sink drains have this, even in your stick house. Water in the trap prevents gasses from coming up the pipe and through the sink drains. If your problem is not exactly like LK23's, water in the pipes (traps) MAY solve your problem.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:19 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Why wait till you get home! I found if I stuffed the two areas as best I could it fixed the problem. You will then know what you need to do when you get home. Have you ensured the plug is in the black tank flush? Also if you use the Winne sewer hose with the closing end then get a standard plug for the other end so you do not have an open sewer hose in you service compartment.

Old 05-15-2006, 04:48 PM   #34
Winnebago Master

The opening under my sink is too large. I do not have anything large enough to stuff in the hole. When I get home I plan to cut a piece of plywood to cover the opening and leave the corner open for the pipes. I can then stuff some soft foam around the pipes.

On my 40AD my black and grey pipes are connected to a Y fitting and neither pipe is open for placement of the plug you mention. I have the sewer hose connected to the bottom of the Y fitting.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:59 PM   #35
Winnebago Owner

If you keep your sewer hose connected to the 'Y' outlet then that would serve the same purpose. I bought the plug at Camping World, didn't think of leaving the hose on the connection!!

Old 05-15-2006, 08:36 PM   #36
Winnebago Master

Lindsay,

I bought the clear sewer fitting at Camping World. I attached it to the Y fitting. It has a slight bend that turns the sewer hose towards the hole in the bottom of the water compartment. It really helps when dumping and flushing. You can see what is going through the sewer hose. I put a small amount of clear silicone caulk on the clear fitting threads prior to attaching the sewer hose. Thus no leaks.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:25 AM   #37
Winnebago Owner

Thank you all for you suggestions. I need to do something. I can't stand the smell especially since we live in our Coach. I've had other Motorhomes and never had this problem.

Old 05-17-2006, 12:56 PM   #38
Winnie-Wise

LK23,

If you grab hold of the outlet where the sewer hose connects it swivels to aim down. Make sure you hold the pipe and not the hose as that will probably break your hose adapter.

I bought the clear connector too. Sure lets you know if you need one more rinse or not.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:33 PM   #39
Winnebago Master

Chippysgt,

Hey, you are right. Thanks. I didn't know the Y fitting swiveled. I just went outside and tried it and to my surprise it moved.

Anyway, the clear fitting is a worthwhile addition since you can see what is dumping and flush until the water is clear. And since the Y fitting swivels you could attach a straight clear fitting to the bottom of the Y.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:22 AM   #40
Winnebago Camper

I discovered that the vacuum breaker on my black tank flush line was installed backwards from the factory. It is mounted high on the wall under and behind the galley sink on my unit.

This made it impossible to flush the black tank and it allowed the black tank to vent under the sink. Check your vacuum breaker installation against the Winnebago plumbing schematics for your coach. I was able to rearrange the parts and reassemble with some fresh teflon tape in the joints. It is a bit of a pain to access up behind the sink, but all is well now.