Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2015, 03:54 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Quiet Water pump for 2003 Adventurer 35U?

I think the time has come to replace the water pump in my 2003 Adventurer 35U. The water pressure seems to be going down and frankly, I don't like the noise it makes--though the noise did alert me to two things: 1, A leak in my toilet (replaced bowl), and 2, failing to close the city fill valve fully.

The reality is, when my wife is asleep and I need to use the facilities, the noise stirs her. Plus, because the pressure seems to be going down, when my wife washes her hair (we have an Oxygenics head), she has to use too much water to rinse her hair. We've actually run out of water once at an event (we mostly dry camp).

So, any recommendations for a quiet, plug and play, or nearly plug and play pump?

Thanks!

Scott
Old 10-22-2015, 06:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Don't know how your pump is mounted but when we had the Thor, the pump was screwed to the floor under the frig. and it's vibration reverberated through the floor. I took the screws out and let the pump be held in place by the water lines. A piece of foam was placed under the pump so it wouldn't touch the floor. It didn't make half the noise after that.
Something to consider if you are putting in a new pump. My pump now is in an outside bay and I'm going to have a look at it to see if the same thing can be done to quiet it down, even though it isn't terribly bad.
alank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Mine was mounted with rubber bumpers directly to the fiberglass wall. I removed the pump and using the same bumpers, attached it to a piece of 1X6 oak cut to fit the wall of the bay. I then attached the wood with the pump attached to the wall with nuts/bolts and a 1/2 thick rubber bushing. The pump is almost silent now.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:34 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the suggestions. While the noise bothers my wife, the biggest issue is the lack of pressure. I have cleaned the screen on the outlet of the pump with no effect. Either way, the pump needs to be replaced.

Scott
Old 10-24-2015, 08:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

If/when you do replace the pump I would go with the same or similar model. There have been a ton of problems reported with the variable speed style pumps. In addition I would add both an accumulator like this one to minimize how often the pump needs to run:
Shurflo Accumulator Tank - Shurflo 182-200 - Fresh Water Pumps - Camping World

and a pump silencer kit like this:
SHURflo Pump Silencer Kit - Shurflo 94-591-01 - Fresh Water Pumps - Camping World

The hard plastic tube on the original installation causes the sound to be carried through the tubing and floor or any other place it's anchored. The softer tubing on the silencer kit absorbs the pulses and minimizes or totally eliminates the noise.

We did both the accumulator and silencer kit on both our 2001 and 2013 Adventurers. In both cases they worked well. It has to be very quiet and you have to listen very closely to tell if the pump is running.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:30 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
If/when you do replace the pump I would go with the same or similar model. There have been a ton of problems reported with the variable speed style pumps. In addition I would add both an accumulator like this one to minimize how often the pump needs to run:
Shurflo Accumulator Tank - Shurflo 182-200 - Fresh Water Pumps - Camping World

and a pump silencer kit like this:
SHURflo Pump Silencer Kit - Shurflo 94-591-01 - Fresh Water Pumps - Camping World

The hard plastic tube on the original installation causes the sound to be carried through the tubing and floor or any other place it's anchored. The softer tubing on the silencer kit absorbs the pulses and minimizes or totally eliminates the noise.

We did both the accumulator and silencer kit on both our 2001 and 2013 Adventurers. In both cases they worked well. It has to be very quiet and you have to listen very closely to tell if the pump is running.
I will definitely look into both. It's funny, the accumulator is the exact same thing people use when flying nitro powered RC Helicopters--fuel bladder. It stays full and pressurized when the helicopter is inverted so the engine can still run. (I use a fuel magnet that accomplishes the same thing, but I digress.) The tubing kit is interesting. The plastic tubes in mine are not all that hard, but we'll see. Thank you!

I did read about the variable speed pumps. I think the first thing I need to do is look at the docs to determine the specs of the pump I currently have then figure out how much pressure is being lost. I did winterize the motor home today, so this is a spring project, now.

Scott
Old 10-25-2015, 01:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

On my 2004 Chieftain the original ShureFlo 5.7 lasted about 8 yrs. I bought another 5.7 for around $150 that only lasted two yrs. Except for reliability, I was very happy with how quiet and good pressure and flow.

After researching pumps on this forum, I bought the ShureFlo 4008 which is 3 gpm and around 55 psi. Less flow but quiet and simpler design which I hope translates to longer reliability.

My coach came from the factory with both the accumulator and silencer kits noted above.

You can buy it here for $68:
http://www.amazon.com/SHURflo-4008-1.../dp/B002XM5G70
Old 10-26-2015, 07:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have installed the variable speed water pumps on a 1995 Safari Trek, and our current '99 Trek with no problems whatsoever, and very quiet performance. However, both pumps were given to me in the early 90's by a friend who could not get either to work on his then-new Pace Arrow. He ended up using an old style pump, and didn't have to return either of the variable speed pumps so I was the beneficiary.

Maybe the older variable speed pumps were better than the current versions, or maybe not. I know that, based on my experience and presented with the opportunity, I would again replace an OEM pump with a variable speed version.

Quote:
.... There have been a ton of problems reported with the variable speed style pumps...
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:36 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
On my 2004 Chieftain the original ShureFlo 5.7 lasted about 8 yrs. I bought another 5.7 for around $150 that only lasted two yrs. Except for reliability, I was very happy with how quiet and good pressure and flow.

After researching pumps on this forum, I bought the ShureFlo 4008 which is 3 gpm and around 55 psi. Less flow but quiet and simpler design which I hope translates to longer reliability.

My coach came from the factory with both the accumulator and silencer kits noted above.

You can buy it here for $68:
http://www.amazon.com/SHURflo-4008-1.../dp/B002XM5G70
Thank you! According to Winnebago parts (not Winnebago), that's the pump that Winnebago is installing on newer coaches as the replacement for Winnebago part number 098607-01-000. Yet Amazon is selling it for $22.00 less. Looks like it would be a plug and play option. According to specs it is rated at .2gpm more than the unit it replaces.

Thank you, again.

Scott
Old 10-26-2015, 07:47 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Pay close attention to the pump ratings. The flow and pressure ratings are not at the same point. It's more like one or the other, that is, pressure, or flow. If you can find flow curves for the pumps you are looking at, they'll give you a much better picture of what to expect.

Here was a comparison I did of a couple pumps a while back:

Note that the 5.7 GPM only happens with 0 pressure. You can see all three pumps are pretty similar near 2.0 GPM and 40 psi (near where you'd be with one low flow faucet open).

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:54 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Tim,

Thank you! That was eye opening, to say the least. I can pretty much eliminate the Shurflo Extreme Smart Sensor model because I've read too many negative things about it.

I took a close look at the plumbing system diagrams and tried to match components with the parts diagrams, and in so doing discovered there are two accumulator tanks in the system. I guess I will not be needing a third party accumulator.

I looked at the flow curve for the Shurflo 4008 then compared it to your graph. It would seem from your graph that based on a 30psi rating, the Shurflo is best, but when looking overall, the Aquajet-ARV is best. Am I reading the graph correctly?

Thanks,

Scott
Old 10-27-2015, 10:22 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Two accumulators? I need to look at your plumbing diagrams. My '04 came with none. Mom's '99 had a small one, so maybe your '03 is like, but 2?

What pump is "best" is up to you. The three on my sample graph were mentioned in some other thread years ago. Near 30 psi/3 gpm those three are very similar. It's easy to assume a "5.7 gpm" pump would be nearly twice as "good" as a "3.0 gpm" one, but that isn't the case.

you found the flow data for the 4008 pump is in the installation manual? (Just for others following along).

It flows less than the pumps compared above, right. The ARV pump does look pretty good above, more flow at higher pressures, but not by much, and probably above the pressures you'd be working at, typical shutoff pressure being 45 psi.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:00 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post

I also had a Shurflo 5.7 in My 2003 Chieftain which I had to replace. My present 2005 Itasca Horizon also had a 5.7 when I purchased it used in 2011. It also failed and I replaced it with a 4008 which is a bypass pump. It is mounted on rubber and with a silencing kit it is very quiet. I have been very happy with the 4008.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:48 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
Two accumulators? I need to look at your plumbing diagrams. My '04 came with none. Mom's '99 had a small one, so maybe your '03 is like, but 2?

What pump is "best" is up to you. The three on my sample graph were mentioned in some other thread years ago. Near 30 psi/3 gpm those three are very similar. It's easy to assume a "5.7 gpm" pump would be nearly twice as "good" as a "3.0 gpm" one, but that isn't the case.

you found the flow data for the 4008 pump is in the installation manual? (Just for others following along).

It flows less than the pumps compared above, right. The ARV pump does look pretty good above, more flow at higher pressures, but not by much, and probably above the pressures you'd be working at, typical shutoff pressure being 45 psi.
I found the two accumulators in the parts manual. One was small and one larger. Look at page 223 of the parts manual. I looked again in the plumbing diagram and cannot find the accumulators. But maybe that is intended as the diagrams do not show the fresh water tank and its header tank, either.

I found the flow diagram for the 4008, here: Amazon.com: SHURflo 4008-101-E65 3.0 Revolution Water Pump: Automotive, scroll down to the full product description.

I see what you mean about the ARV, plus it is more costly. I do not know what I will buy at this stage, so the research continues. The 4008 does look promising both from a spec. perspective and cost.

Scott
Old 10-28-2015, 06:54 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

As tderrone mentioned neither our 2001 or our 2013 Adventurers came with an accumulator. Here's a link to the plumbing diagrams for the 2003 Adventurer 35U:

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...g35u_plumb.pdf

I don't see an accumulator anywhere in the diagrams. They may have been used on other models, or are simply offered as something that was "available" to resolve just the conditions you describe.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:58 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
As tderrone mentioned neither our 2001 or our 2013 Adventurers came with an accumulator. Here's a link to the plumbing diagrams for the 2003 Adventurer 35U:

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...g35u_plumb.pdf

I don't see an accumulator anywhere in the diagrams. They may have been used on other models, or are simply offered as something that was "available" to resolve just the conditions you describe.
Yeah, there are no accumulators in the plumbing diagram. Parts manual... different story. You're probably right, but it is confusing--two different size accumulators in the parts manual.

Scott
Old 10-28-2015, 05:49 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Watts-8-5-i...ET-5/100677607
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1446076066.746423.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	110630
This is what I used and works great. I put a piece of old carpet around it to keep it quite and in place.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-29-2015, 02:55 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

So, that's like an accumulator? I looked at Home Depot and they have no specs other than size... how much water does it hold?

Scott
Old 10-29-2015, 08:35 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

2 gallons

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-30-2015, 10:00 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Thanks, John.

Scott

Tags
vent, water, water pump