Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-05-2018, 05:49 AM   #21
Winnebago Watcher

It comes down to what you are comfortable with. Aside from the fueling hazard, a leak in the rather long propane lines from road hazards or an accident creates a incredible hazard. While your searching, look on YouTube for RV fires to get an idea what a propane fire looks like.

We travel with propane off. Our Dometic keeps everything cold for most of the day, & if real hot, we start the generator for the coach AC and the frig. Another thing we do is to take what we might use for dinner out of the freezer & put in the refrig. ....gradually thaws & helps keep all cold.
bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:45 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2011 view profile.
On the road the fridg runs on the house batteries.
We usually put the perishable food in a cooler with ice and transfer to fridge at Campground with electric.
I guess l should turn off the main switch for Lp when driving and witch it on at each campground.
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:58 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Traveling with the fridge on

When we first got our new to us 39Z we checked the recall notices and there were several for the Norcold.

From what I have read, the issue of fires has been resolved, but if the unit is not level it can overheat and ruin the refrigerator even if it has been updated. If the recall updates have not been installed, you could be looking at a motorhome fire.

Check out https://www.arprv.com for more information, and do a search on Norcold recall. We bought our 2008 Journey in 2014 and had the dealer do 2 updates for fire issues in the first year.

I don't know if I trust Norcold to have 'fixed' the issue completely. We use the inverter while traveling and turn the fridge off when not level. Why not be safe?

Jengle
jengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:18 AM   #24
LnG
Winnebago Camper

Gas or Electric?

My rig is a 2005 Journey and I have always used AC power supplied by the inverter while traveling. I used it with the original Norcold NO Problem when I replaced that with a residential model I still use the inverter again NO problems & my ice is always ice the ice cream is always hard. Plus no switching back and forth and the inverter costs nothing to provide the electric.
LnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:49 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise

In our old traile we had a 3-way fridge so we would use 12V on the road. The larger fridge in our 2106FBS is a 2-way so we run with propane on while traveling. While the freezer will last a bit longer the fridge gets warm very quickly in 90+ degree weather.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, refrigerator