Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2018, 05:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Wannabe

Propane Fill Quandaries

Two years ago we stayed for the winter at an RV park in Fredericksburg TX, only to find that propane services would NOT come to the park to refill motorhomes, for "insurance reasons". Later that season we moved 25 miles to Kerrville TX, and as usual propane services DID come to the park to refill us.

Now today, on another forum, noticed in the Ocala FL area people are finding most propane fill services will NOT fill any tanks that are fixed to an RV...removable tanks only! Which would mean they probably don't fill at the RV parks, either.

Wondering if others have found these "no fill" situations as well around the country.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:33 AM   #2
Site Team

We filled a couple weeks ago at a park and have stopped at a couple different Pilots and filled up over the past year. Have never had anyone say that they wouldn’t fill while it was attached to the RV?
Old 12-16-2018, 07:09 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Well Pardner, there are two insurance policies involved.... the park and the LP service. So it could be one or both are involved. Could also be you were at the F'burg city park...so that makes three. And or a city regulation.

Some LP services don't deliver on weekends. Maybe the park has its own LP service and doesn't want poachers on their "ranch"....

Generally, it is not a problem..... Texas provides a bazillion gallons of LP and LNG globally every day. Someone will deliver to your RV. You have to find the right hands to do it.

'Course you could always stay in the 'ville..... we be a lot nicer...
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I wonder if the DOT requirements are starting to creep into RV mounted tanks.

https://www.propanetankstore.com/dot...k-differences/

Well now I hope my tank is ASME standard... Because they don't know it's just easier to say we don't fill them. Business decision possibly.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

No Fill

In Ontario Canada, a few years back, a refill truck messed up the grounding and caused a fire at a RV park while filling a bus... after that the rules changed and now no one gets their bus filled on site (in Ontario). You have to take the RV to a refill station for attached tanks.

In our travels through the states, we have found some problems with service to RV parks due to disagreements with some parks wanting fee's for access by the propane companies.
PolarMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Got Propane

Having been full time for 3 years+, I only had to fill the coach 3 times. Why? Because I installed an “Extend A Stay” valve and carried an extra propane bottle that I could take and get filled anytime I needed Propane. We only used the coach tank when stopping overnight or while I was gone to get my extra tank filled. Takes about 5 minutes to install the valve and you can get everything you need at an RV or trailer supply store. You will need the “Extend a Stay” valve, A hose and a tank. I had a 10 gal. (80lb) tank but it was heavy when filled, so you may want a smaller 5 gal. In warmer climates where I tried to stay, 10 gal. (8.3 gal actual) would last 3+ weeks, depending on how many times we BBQ’d outside or cooked inside. Now, you can fill your coach when you can and not worry about running out. Good luck

Gene and Pana Trujillo & Milo
2015 Journey 40R
geneorpana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hello Gene and Pana,

I have the Extend A Stay... Just wondered where you store your extra propane tank when traveling?

I usually leave mine in the back of the jeep, just a little nervous about storing it in the Motorhome...

Jim
jamesdbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:08 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Propane

Hi Jim,
I carry my extra propane tank in the my Jeep too. It’s in a plastic crate in the back and tied to the roll bar with 2 ratchet straps. Unless its raining, i leave a couple of windows slightly open, just in case of a leak. Never had a problem.
Gene
geneorpana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane