Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I noticed that the water heater LED on the Powerline Energy Management System in our 2008 Tour is not lit when we are plugged into either 50 or 30 amp power. All the other LEDs are on. The water heater is also on electric and working (we get plenty of hot water).

I know things were working a few days ago since we were on a 30 amp supply and we had to shed a few loads to keep from tripping the breaker. Everything seems to be working other than the water heater. Have any of you experienced this or have an idea? Thanks!

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I noticed that the water heater LED on the Powerline Energy Management System in our 2008 Tour is not lit when we are plugged into either 50 or 30 amp power. All the other LEDs are on. The water heater is also on electric and working (we get plenty of hot water).

I know things were working a few days ago since we were on a 30 amp supply and we had to shed a few loads to keep from tripping the breaker. Everything seems to be working other than the water heater. Have any of you experienced this or have an idea? Thanks!

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
Old 10-12-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

RV Rick,
Not to worry unless you like the switch lighted. Had the light on ours go super bright so I turned it off. The next day I turned it back on and no light. The bulb had burned out. Water heater still worked as normal. I guess the light is there to remind you that the w/heater is on electric. Not having the light could be a problem if you are dry camping using the inverter, and forget it is on. It will suck the batteries dry in a heartbeat.
B.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Bob - I think he means the LED is out on the EMS display.

If the heater is working, then you have a bad LED or perhaps something else on the display board is defective. Call Powerline and see if they will send you a new board.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I think John has it nailed. Usually LEDs last forever but sometimes they do fail and usually toward the beginning of their life. Unfortunately, the display uses Intellitec's RV Multiplex/PMC (Programmable Multiplex Control) System so there is no easy way to tell if the proper signal is getting to the display. The only way I can see to troubleshoot is to replace the display board. If that solves the problem then you are good to go. If not, then the control board with the power relays on it will need replacement. Best bet is to contact Intelletec's service department and have them advise you on troubleshooting. Here's the link to Intelletic.

http://www.intellitecsve.com/
Old 10-13-2008, 06:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We traveled 4 months and the light quit working last few days. The heater is still working. John my light when it was on was very hot to the touch! Would that still be a led or a reg. bulb? Don
Old 10-13-2008, 07:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

John & Rick,
My 04 Meridian has the light in the switch, not an LED on the EMS panel.

dstinch,
Good thing that the light went out. It can get hot enough to melt the plastic switch.
B.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I sent Powerline an email with photos showing the LED out and they were kind enough to give me a call. They are pretty sure that the board is fried and since the coach is under warranty, recommend that I take it into a Winnie dealer and have it replaced. Sounds like good advice to me and I will call Winnebago to find a nearby dealer.

Many thanks for your excellent insights.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
Old 10-14-2008, 09:24 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dstinch:
We traveled 4 months and the light quit working last few days. The heater is still working. John my light when it was on was very hot to the touch! Would that still be a led or a reg. bulb? Don </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The on/off water switch light is an incandescent bulb that will generate heat and will eventually burn out. I'm not sure what the objective on the light is. I haven't verified it, but I don't think the electric element is wired to the inverter (at least I hope not - that would be really dumb engineering.)

Like Mark said, LEDs usually have a lifespan of thousands of hours and will outlast whatever they are installed in. The LED (at least the ones I used to play with) need a dropping resistor (4.7k) in series with them so they won't burn up, so it is possible that a failure of some ancillary part would cause an 'LED' failure. The Light Emitting Diode itself is an extremely reliable component.

Maybe this is too much information

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I had mine go out. I removed the four screws to the panel,looked behind and found one of the push on connectors to the light disconnected. Pushed it back in and everything was fine.
Good Luck.

FireStarter is offline   Reply With Quote