Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2019, 05:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Potable water in a RV

Hello boys and girls, everybody I know uses a Camco water filter that fits in between the water hose and the water supply. This does a fairly good job but I would like to do a little better job. Looking on the Internet I could install whole house filter in my wet bay or put a small faucet and filter under the sink and use that for cooking and drinking . But here’s my question not being a full time RVer sometimes my rig parked out side in south Florida ( 95 to 100 ) for months. Do I need to buy a new filter every time I go for a weekend or a week somewhere ? I am sure water sitting in that filter with that heat is going to grow bugs . I could buy and install a UV filter under the sink but $800.00 is ridiculous ! Presently I buy bottled water which is a pain in the butt not to mention the extra weight. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Franksteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:03 AM   #2
Site Team

Wouldn’t it be just as easy to remove the filter, dump out the water in it and either take it home or leave it empty on the RV when you store the RV as it would be to replace it all the time?

Our WBGO has a large filter under the sink. But it only filters the cold water at the kitchen sink. The residential fridge also has a filter for ice.

We buy gallon bottles of drinking water when starting on trips and when possible (usually) we take the empties to the store and refill them with RO filtered water. So we don’t drink the water on our RV.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:40 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Franksteer,
One option would be a gravity filter like the Berkey. We have one (the Big Berkey) at our cottage and use it to filter lake water for drinking/cooking. It works very well for us.
They're not inexpensive, the Big was $400 with the stand and sight spigot (nice but not required).
Berkey uses the same filters (Black Berkey) across their product line and has optional fluoride filters as well.
Earlier this week I went to their website to look at options for our View which has zero counterspace. Looked at the Go Berkey but will probably get the Travel Berkey and just pull it out, use it, and stow it.

Check them out at- Home Page
Regards, Mike
Seymour2Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We purchased square 3 gal water bottles from walmart for about $7 each giving us 6 gal of drinking water which stores neatly under the sink. They are lightweight, easy to handle due to small square size.

You might like to check it out in your friendly walmart store
TATANKA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Oops, that should be www.berkeywater.com. Sorry 'bout that. Mike
Seymour2Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 02:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I have seen people with a set up that puts a standard whole house filter between the hose and the coach. One person used a Christmas tree stand to hold the filter upright. Watch the set up and take down did not seem to take much time or effort. I am trying to get away from using water bottles etc so drinking faucet water that's filtered is important.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:45 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

On our DP rig I always used the "whole house" canister filter outside when long term parked. After a neighbor had a leak in his RV while gone away and with the city water connected I just started using the fresh tank all the time. Now with the little View we also use the fresh tank all the time, never have connected to city water outlet and never leave the rig with water pump turned on. That means the water in the fresh tank is always fresh and clean. The undersink filter cartridge is available in models which remove almost any impurity you can think of, heavy metals, cysts, etc. It is more than adequate. I slightly enlarge the little hole in the top of the filter to allow just a bit better flow but really doesn't matter for drinking water. We do not carry drinking water with us except the fresh tank. When filling the fresh tank I connect a sediment filter to the hose, very helpful. Actually the sediment filter stays attached to the blue fresh hose. Ever want to be shocked just cut open a sediment filter and look at the junk inside after a month of use.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I use a whole house filter in both 5th and MH. In both cases they are built-in just after a whole house water pressure regulator, also built-in. I can use a variety of different filters depending on the water condition.

This does not filter the tank fill connection. I use those cheap Camco filters for that function. Except when I use the cross feed from city water to the fresh water tank. I added those cross connections using an electric 12v valve. Its much easier to watch the tank fill gauge this way.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Potable water in RV

Get two (or three or four) whole house filters that use the standard inexpensive element. Connect them in series with 3/4 pvc nipples. Install hose fittings at entry and exit ports. Camping world has these real cool metal filter stands that just press into soft ground, or you can hammer them into hard ground. Get one for each filter. Use standard filter elements in the first, and a carbon element in the last filter. At the end of the trip, drain and open, and leave to dry out. Change after three months of use. Works great for us with an investment of under $75.
Kvw613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:46 PM   #10
2016 Sunstar LX 35F

We use the online Camco whole house filter for all the water coming into the rig and then use a Brita pitcher for drinking water and water that goes into the coffee maker. Never had any issues and saves having to carry bottles of water.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:04 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I purchased a Clearsource Pemium RV water filter system (https://www.clearsourcerv.com/produc...-filter-system).
It has a two stage filtration system. The first stage is a 5.0 micron sediment filter that removes silt, sediment, and other particulates. The second stage .5 micron filter dramatically improves the taste and smell of the water — I couldn’t be happier with the results.
We are not full timers, so I remove the filters if we’re not using the rig for more than a month, let them dry completely, then store them in a ziplock bag. We’ve used the same filters for a year, and they still work great. For reference, the time we spend in our RV is about 50 days per year. We’ll be full timing in about a year which is why I bought this filter system now — to give it a try and see if it’s better than the Camco. Definitely better- huge difference.
Run4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:14 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Unless I treat the water in my rV fresh water tank I consider it as “untreated”. Filter no matter how fine are subject to pollution. If you want to use the water in your tank, sterilize your system through out. That’s only good if you have a known safe water source each time you fill. If not then you can only add bleach to each tank full or boil it before use. Make it as close to the definition of potable as possible. We filter then treat water by boiling before consuming it. Otherwise I only drink water from a bottle.
Trinityfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:43 AM   #13
DLH

Check out the RV water filter store. I have purchased filter from them and have sent email to them for answers. They responded quickly and were a great source for information. I know they can help you out.
DLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:54 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Back to your original question.
I would just drain the water lines with an air compressor to get the water out of all the lines, filters and water heater, same as if you winterize it.
Keep the air pressure under 25 psi and open one faucet at a time, it will go faster if you drain the water heater and whole house filter first.
You can buy a air to Garden hose adapter.
pobstlmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:43 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

We use a two-stage system, also from RV Water Filter Store. First is 2.5" X 10" 5 micron sediment filter, then into 2.5" X 10" .5 micron charcoal filter. I simply disconnect and empty after each stay and replace every three months. We did this full-time last year traveling US and Canada, and never had a problem. takes just a couple of minutes to set up and disconnect. I'm just not comfortable with the single stage "blue" filters I see frequently used, though sure they are probably better than no filter at all.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:33 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2016 Fuse. I always take distilled water, gallon jugs, for my Nespresso coffee machine and for any cooking. I only use city water or the fresh water tank for bathroom fixtures, washing dishes or other stuff. So no fuss and no muss worrying about filtration or buggy things growing down there somewhere.
highfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:12 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franksteer View Post
Hello boys and girls, everybody I know uses a Camco water filter that fits in between the water hose and the water supply. This does a fairly good job but I would like to do a little better job. Looking on the Internet I could install whole house filter in my wet bay or put a small faucet and filter under the sink and use that for cooking and drinking . But here’s my question not being a full time RVer sometimes my rig parked out side in south Florida ( 95 to 100 ) for months. Do I need to buy a new filter every time I go for a weekend or a week somewhere ? I am sure water sitting in that filter with that heat is going to grow bugs . I could buy and install a UV filter under the sink but $800.00 is ridiculous ! Presently I buy bottled water which is a pain in the butt not to mention the extra weight. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I use an online filter. When we get home shake water out put in large ziplock bag or plastic container then put in freezer. Then take out just before leaving on next trip.
Herbste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:26 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Great drinking water

We have tried numerous filters and still get some level of stuff in the water that affects the taste. So we bought a water quality checker and test the water when we arrive at a new park. We also carry a ZeroWater ZP-010, 10 Cup Water Filter Pitcher. It produces taste-free water so we never have to carry plastic water bottles that continue to pollute the planet. One filter lasts about 6 months
LizandBruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water