Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2018, 02:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Phantom Water Leak 2012 Adventurer 32H

We have a water leak that drips from near the PS rear wheel well. This leak only happens when we actually use the coach. It is impossible to replicate when in storage. I really thought it was where the Bathroom drain empties into the grey tank. I was just able to get eyes on it and that is not the problem. It is not the Shower Drain, Bath sink drain nor Kitchen drain. the pump does not run intermittently (like there is a fresh water leak) It does not leak when city water is hooked up. If the coach is unlevel the water will leak from a different location. There is no water signs inside, no wet carpet, floor or other evidence of a leak above the floor level. The coach is in a warm climate, freezing is not a problem. We have contacted Winnebago they have sent drawings but it did not help. We have had the coach in for service and they could not get it to leak. Any advise would be appreciated.
Can't we just stop the drip!!
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:36 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I would put a bucket under where it is dripping and see if it is black water or gray or fresh water. That would give you a better starting point as to what is causing it and where to look. Water will find the easiest path so might be in another location in or under the rig. Just where I would start.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have a couple questions, is the AC, or Fridge running? I ask for a couple reasons. first the roof top AC evap drains out onto the roof while in operation and if its not sealed tight eight the AC base or to the roof you may have intrusion there. the second possible is the fridge.. on the back side is a small drain tube the should drop out through the body to somewhere underneath your RV, if the tubing is plugged it will overflow and find its way out. or if its damaged or not fully installed. the next possibility is maybe the packing around one of the water shut offs going to sink, shower, ect.. is the outside conditions rain? high humidity? is your water storage tank close and the vent tube off or damaged? Just my random thoughts
Koja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Nice Suggestion RD, Tried that and gathered some water in a bowl. Hard to tell if it was Grey or fresh. Definitely not Black water. The water runs off the Chassis so picks up some dirt before it drips. I don't want to resort to Dye in case it really stains something I don't want stained. @Koja The Condensate drains are clean and run well. Last trip never ran AC and it still dripped. Very Dry AZ conditions. No rain. Never leaks when sitting pressurized over several days. Really has to be some kind of drain issue.
Thanks for putting some thought in it.
Jack
Old 11-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Are you using any water when sitting pressurized? If not it could be a drain connection when using water, if not could be almost anything. Sorry could not be of more help.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Hay Jack if you figure it out let us know.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Just got finished spending 3 hours running down the leak. (what else do I have to do on a Friday afternoon getting off work early) I liked Koja's refrigerator Idea. So I tracked down the ice maker line. unfortunately it was valved off under sink after the filter so no water is going to the icemaker. I Also checked if the drain tube in the Refrigerator might be block. It also appears fine. I filled the grey tank until it overflowed into the Shower. No luck. I filled the fresh tank until it over flowed, no luck. I am running out of ideas here.
Thanks for the suggestions
jack
Old 11-09-2018, 04:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

What side is your potable water tank? Can you get eyes under the shower? I had a buddy. His coach had a hairline crack just outside the drain in the shower and when you stood in the shower it was just enough to drip out underneath into the cargo area. Ended up building a support for the shower floor and then using marine two part epoxy to fix the crack.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Did you check the pressure relief valve on your hot water heater? It may be leaking and finding it's way to where you are finding water.
NSCHIL9260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:07 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Just to bend the mind a bit more? Is it possible for anything from the engine/chassis like coolant or windshield washer fluid to get to where it drips. Not to be perverse but these things can drive us up the wall and we do need to keep all the potential spots in mind. Condensation off the chassis AC?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:15 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

The chassis ac is a possibility in my thoughts too as I probably drops out of the fire wall over the top of the frame rail
Old 11-15-2018, 05:32 PM   #12
Raymez

Do you have a lot of condensation? I have the same problem but it appears over night and is gone later in the day. Can't figure out how it is getting to the spots it drips from. This is on a 2018 Vista 29VE
Old 11-18-2018, 12:51 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Help diagnosing

I wonder if this might help diagnose the leak.
Since it seems to leak only when driving, try tilting the RV right or left with the jacks. The leak exits the right side, so maybe tilting right will get it going. If not try left. It will take a big tilt angle to equal turns while driving.

Will it still leak with black, grey and fresh water tanks empty? I'm suspicious of the fresh water tank, even though there was no leak when over filled.
Finally, is it possible that heat from the exhaust system is causing an expansion of some water pipe and opening a crack?
At least the leak doesn't seem to be damaging the coach.
Good luck,
Richard
Old 11-18-2018, 10:14 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymez View Post
Do you have a lot of condensation? I have the same problem but it appears over night and is gone later in the day. Can't figure out how it is getting to the spots it drips from. This is on a 2018 Vista 29VE
We notice phantom dripping if there has been a heavy dew overnight, presumably from condensate on the roof. Depending on how the coach is leveled, the dripping can fall off different points.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:47 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Phantom drip

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
We notice phantom dripping if there has been a heavy dew overnight, presumably from condensate on the roof. Depending on how the coach is leveled, the dripping can fall off different points.
we too had a similar problem, water leaking around fresh tank which also is adjacent to electrical compartment....yikes, no luck first few times, but then one day checking all the fresh water hoses and fittings in the pump compartment, noticed the pump head was dripping but honestly never noticed the pump running to stay pressurized, maybe due to the accumulator I don't know, but I would say, check all fittings and if possible put some paper towels underneath connections to see if they leak. Good luck
wegobago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:15 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Well the results are in. It turned out to be a water line leading to the toliet. The pex line was attached to a braided hose line. Both connections were leaking. We removed it and and ran Pex all the way. I waited until we took the coach out to use it this weekend. No more leaks. Thanks to all you offered your 2 Cents.
Jack
Old 11-26-2018, 12:13 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Good work.

I think that, of all the problems that can occur, leaks are perhaps the toughest to sort out and have the potential for doing the most damage if not dealt with in a timely manner.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:43 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Congratulations
Old 11-26-2018, 02:42 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Thank you for reporting what your leak was. Glad you found it. That was a tough one to find.

Tags
adventurer, leak, vent, water, water leak