Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2019, 04:17 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Pay as you "go"??

I realize that I've been out of the ol' RV/camping loop for a while, but this one was new to me.

At Col. Allensworth St. Historic Park in California this week I saw my first self-pay credit card solar powered dump station.

Sorry, didn't get the solar panels in the picture.

Clearly installed and run by a concessionaire, swipe your card for $10, the lid lock is released for one minute to stick your hose in, and, apparently, after 15 minutes, if the lid is still open, an alarm sounds.

That's some pricey poop. I elected to bring our waste home, but I did see 2 Sprinter based rigs use it.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:00 AM   #2
Site Team

All of the rest areas in Washington have free dump stations. I will appreciate my 40 gallon black water holding tank even more if this pay as you "go" trend continues.
Eagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:40 AM   #3
Site Team

Lots of RV Dump site phone Apps out there. You'll be surprised, they are all over the place. Once when we were on the way home I stopped at a nearly empty campground and asked if I could dump there and they said sure - dump and fill the fresh water tank for $5.

Many Texas rest areas have dumps and we use them all the time. There is a rest area on I-10 30 miles from home and lots of time we plan to just stop there when on our way home from a trip out west.

But I've never seen a self service place like the one you've seen. I doubt they are very common. One wonders if you could even make back the installation and operational costs on a system like that.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:31 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I found their web site.

SaniStar Dump | The World's First Automated Dump Station

But the location map is broken...

Quote:
Sani-Star currently has installations in 46 States and 2 Provinces across the U.S.A and Canada; in large national travel centers, National Forest campgrounds, city and county campgrounds, gas stations and convenience stores and even national retail stores. Sani-Star’s unique ability to allow dump station operators to conveniently and securely collect payment has resulted in rapid growth. RV dump stations are expensive to operate and maintain and Sani-Star’s unique system allows for campground operators and business owners to recoup these costs and run a more efficient operation.
If upfront costs and budgets are a concern, Sani-Star can even carry up-front set-up and installation fees. We simply install the Sani-Star automated system and you start recouping costs from day one. We even offer parts and 24 hour phone support for the life of the service agreement.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Apparently the search functionality does not work either. Looked for one within 200 miles of a specified city and a specified zip code, but got an error message.

Presumably their dump stations work better than their web page.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:03 PM   #6
2018 Minnie Winnie 22M

Everything costs money...

I'm not sure what the issue is here. That you have to pay to dump or that it's an automated system? In my 40 plus years of camping in a motor home, I've almost always had to pay to dump. And now the fees are in the $5-$10 range, whether at a dump site in a national forest or stopping by a commercial campground.

I went to the California State Parks website (www.parks.ca.gov) and it addressed these automated pay dump sites currently in 10 state parks, including the one that is our favorite.
https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1029

Everything costs money, and it always seems like the parks are at the bottom of the list. Since we use those dump sites, I don't see the issue with paying for them. The state parks have pay showers. Is this any different? I wonder if the state park in question, Colonel Allensworth State Historic Park even had a dump site before this one was put it?

I should note that Caltrans in California used to have more free trailer dump sites at the rest stops along the freeways, but most are removed now, mainly due to damage from vandalism.

Lee
mcfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

This looks like a complicated solution to a simple issue (a common occurrence these days it seems). Just pay or include it when you make the reservation. Credit card problems eliminated. JMHO
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:19 PM   #8
2018 Minnie Winnie 22M

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
This looks like a complicated solution to a simple issue (a common occurrence these days it seems). Just pay or include it when you make the reservation. Credit card problems eliminated. JMHO

But what if the campground either never had a dump site or the one they had was in desperate need of repair? A company comes in and offers to put one in for you, give them a contract, they'll dig the hole, put in the vault and have automatic credit card activated site, and state parks gets a cut of the revenue? I'm guessing that company would then service the dump site, pumping it out as needed. And with the locked cap on the dump site that only unlocks when you pay, prevents others from using it without paying. Makes sense to me, and is a reasonable solution.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

In a perfect world that may be true. It's not, so it wouldn't. I've never met a simple dump station that was out of order...some are dirty but you deal with it, right? A skimmer installed by some idiot would never be detected here- in time to save lots of trouble anyway. You set up the thing through some vendor- maybe he's around tomorrow, maybe not. Like I said- keep it simple. In all the time I spend researching the rv industry, this is very very far down the list of pressing problems. Let's get quality control corralled in, and parts procurement solved with our rigs. We would then be much happier campers!
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:15 PM   #10
2018 Minnie Winnie 22M

Then a simple solution is for you to not use them. Solves all of your problems and fears. I'll choose to use them if I need to. I'm guessing that the campground referred to at the top of this thread never had a dump site to begin with and this is their way to get one.

And I most certainly have found dump sites out of order and closed. As I said before, Caltrans used to have many more dump sites at freeway rest areas, but closed them due to damage and vandalism.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:40 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I've been camping the southern California beaches for decades and these pay stations are now being added to existing dump stations.
If it keeps the station operational, I'm in. I'm tired of finding CA dump stations out of order.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:25 AM   #12
Veteran RV Owner

Flying J here on the east coast charges to use their dump station....you pay inside and get a code on your receipt to punch in to open the dump door.

Florida State Parks all charge something to use their dump station only. If you are staying in the state park campground, use of the dump station is included.

No Florida Interstate Rest Areas that I know of have dump stations. Some Georgia Rest Areas do and it was free last time I used one.
armullis59 is offline   Reply With Quote