Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Overflow

2013 winniw 26 he. when fresh water tank is 90% full water will leak out of overflow tube 0n right turn only, any help out there,
bblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Well, sounds like it's too full, water sloshes and drains out. What are you wanting?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Less water? Maybe tank is not level?
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

overflow

would like to stop it from doing it
bblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Your tank is doing what it is designed to do. With the tank that full and the water moving around while driving, it is going to release some water from the overflow tube.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblack View Post
2013 winniw 26 he. when fresh water tank is 90% full water will leak out of overflow tube 0n right turn only, any help out there,
It depends how you define full as the tanks are 100% full when the level is just below where it is sloshing out the overflow. Full is somewhere below 90% actual tank volume and probably closer to 80/85% the total volume of the tank. Don't try to squeeze the extra few gallons in or just fill it as you have been and let it spill out the overflow until it equalizes.

It is only water and as long as it is not overflowing inside the coach and your not wasting hundreds of gallons its not that big an issue such as leaking oil, brake fluid, coolant, fuel or the contents of the black tank.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:35 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
Your tank is doing what it is designed to do. With the tank that full and the water moving around while driving, it is going to release some water from the overflow tube.
The sensor is not absolutely correct you are probably overfilling it.

The tank is almost transparent, look to see what the actual level is
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Filling it all the way will stop it from sloshing around. Think of a water jug completely full compared to one filled 3/4.
MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago has a fix for that. Its call an anti syphon drain extension. If under warranty, they install a long water line between the tank outlet and the drain line. It helped in my case but.... you will still not be able to fill to 100% full. I fill mine to about 1' from the top. If not under warranty, your Winnebago dealer should know of the fix and do it for you.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:23 AM   #10

As you can see from the replies it is quite common to lose water if the tank is full. If we are dry camping or it is too cold to hook up water line, we go to the campground water faucet before we park, and fill the tank. We travel with 1/4 to 1/2 full. As others said, there is a fix and may be worthwhile if under warranty. I am still under warranty, but have not had the fix done.
Bill
2013 Via 25T
Buffalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:34 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I had the same problem with our MH. I filled it till the full light came on and then drove about 100 miles to a dry camping destination. By the time i got there we had lost many gallons of water. The gauge after checking the actuall level is not anywhere near full as well so we ran out of water way before we should have. I solved the problem by installing a gate valve on the overflow line which in my case was easy to do as it passes thru the same compartment as the pump etc. I usually keep the valve open unless I need a full tank of water for dry camping/
Old 02-20-2014, 04:01 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

On my Aspect. The overflow is only way to tell when tanks gets full.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:49 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
fill to full

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvten View Post
On my Aspect. The overflow is only way to tell when tanks gets full.
I always and only fill from the side gravity fill. when filling I fill till it flows out the inlet. turn off the water, close the cover and take off.

If you are loosing water be sure to check the drain valve that it is not leaking.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:50 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

On mine the water will continue to flow after filling. By turning on the outside shower faucet it breaks the vacuum and the water stops overflowing/syphoning. Works for me.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:00 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
I always and only fill from the side gravity fill. when filling I fill till it flows out the inlet. turn off the water, close the cover and take off.

If you are loosing water be sure to check the drain valve that it is not leaking.
On our Aspect. The fresh water tank. Can only be filled. Using the tank fill valve at the water connection. Wish they had other set up. It would be faster to fill tank.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
I solved the problem by installing a gate valve on the overflow line which in my case was easy to do as it passes thru the same compartment as the pump etc. I usually keep the valve open unless I need a full tank of water for dry camping/
garykk

I also added a valve in my "overflow line".

However, because most RV fresh water tanks are neither a "pressure vessel" or a "vacuum vessel", the "overflow line" is also a "vent line".

If a valve is added into that line one must always remember to:
1.) Close the valve before driving to prevent the loss of water.
2.) Open the valve when filling the tank with pressurized water to allow the air in the tank to escape as the water flows in, (which prevents pressurizing/flexing/expanding the tank).
3.) Open the valve when using the water pump to allow make-up air into the tank as water is drawn out, (which prevents the tank from flexing inward/collapsing).

BTW, my coach does not have a "gravity fill".

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

That's basically what I follow....I rarely fill the tank so usually the valve is open. I only run with about 10-20 gallons in the tank and usually use campgrounds with at least water..
Old 02-21-2014, 09:49 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2010 Wini 30w. I believe they share the same water tank that is quite flat and spans nearly 7 feet wide. I found what I think was an assembly mistake. My coach had the fill on the top fitting and the overflow on a fitting that was nearly 2" down on the side. After reversing the two connections my problem went away.

Dave
Shuffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I too added a ball valve in the overflow tube,I open the valve when filling,and close it when full!!!....I've had NO problems since this mod....I used a ""Shark-Bite" ball valve,works like a champ.....now I fill the tank until it comes out of the overflow.
enjoy!!!.........................tom
tomrx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:02 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

A while back I heard of others installing a spring-loaded check valve in the overflow line. I'm thinking that it was either a 2 1/2 or 5 lb spring resistance. That should be enough to stop the siphoning and would be a lot safer than installing a shut-off valve in the overflow line. I put a shut-off valve on mine a few years ago and ended up removing it because I was worried that I'd forget to open it when filling or forget to re-open it when we arrived at our destination and started to draw water from the tank. In fact I did forget to open it more than once after getting to our destination. I'm sure that all of that tank flexing from the vacuum wasn't healthy for the tank. I ended up just removing the vertical section of the overflow line so it wouldn't siphon. If you leave a bit of tube you can still attach the bug screen to it. My wet bay is plastic and I don't store anything in it other than a hose so I drilled a couple of holes in the bottom and let it drain there. I suppose the professional way to deal with it would either be the spring loaded check valve or create a loop in the overflow line above the tank. Hope you get it solved to your liking, I know how frustrating it is to arrive in camp and not have all of the water that you were expecting to have.
Al