Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Norcold ice maker

For the past year we have been finding small solid residue in our drinks and at times a leak causing the ice in the bin to become a solid lump in our Norcold 1200 refrigerator. My local RV dealer advised a new ice maker was necessary due to the coating in the tray coming off. They wanted $195 for the ice maker and 1 1/2 hours labor @$100 to change it. I removed the icemaker from the freezer and went to Lowes. In comparing the ice makers at the store I discovered that the Whirlpool model ECKMF94 was just about identical and the price was $49.95. The kit included the electric valve and a bin. The bin was thrown away and the valve put into the electrical parts box I keep on board, just in case. The valve was not identical to the existing but with a little bracket fabrication will definately work if needed.

All I had to do to install the Whirlpool was remove and discard the wire harness attached to the new ice maker and plug the existing refrigerator harness into it and relocate the metal clip that holds the thermostat to the bottom of the tray to fit the location of the existing thermostat. The Whirlpool icemaker kit was only $49.95 and it took me 30 minutes to install. Beat the heck out of the $350 the RV shop quoted and it works perfectly.
MDPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to The General
MDPD,

Great job...you beat the system!
I have a NorCold 1210IM and it works very well now that the 2 recalls were completed.
What year is yours and how did you get so smart?

Thanks for sharing your solution and welcome to the forum,

Steve Bernard
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, but I can't take all the credit as I did see a thread advising that the ice maker was a standard but it did not advise the make or model. I just lucked out that Lowes stocked three different ice makers and the Whirlpool worked. Some times being cheap is a curse but saving hundreds is a different story.

Our Journey is a 2006 with probably 16 months of use so a lot of ice went through the maker. At $50 I really can't complain.
MDPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Man!! Now the dealer may not be able to take that vacation he had planned by using the profit $$$ from you.

DIY always saves a lot of $$$.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Great job! It does pay to do a search on the forum when you have a problem! I'm sure a search would turn up several icemaker discussions with replacement model numbers, etc. --- replaced mine just one year ago with the same one from Lowes.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

After reading the post by MDPD above went to Lowe's to purchase said ice maker. Installed in about 20 minutes. Waiting to see the ice harvest. Thanks MDPD...

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Mine is still working fine in my 2004 Meridian but from experience with a home ice maker and the posters on this Forum it probably won't be long cratering on me.

For those of you who have replaced yours, what does it take to remove the ice maker from the frig? How many bolts, screws, or clips hold it in place?

Thanks for the information.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
How many bolts, screws, or clips hold it in place?
Two screws holding the icemaker to the bracket, and four screws holding the bracket to the rear of the freezer compartment ?? ... And unplug the wiring harness? ...I didn't change the water valve, etc.