Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2017, 05:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Norcold 12 Cu ft 2 way 4 door fridge w ice

We have the Norcold fridge mentioned in the title in our 05 39 Journey. We are having a problem getting it to turn on and light the display. Conditions are, no propane in tank, shore power connected. When we initially turn on the coach house battery display lights up in Auto mode for about 10 seconds. After that it shuts off no display, and can not turn it on with the power selection.
Any ideas??????
Note, worked fine for a year and then ran out of propane without the unit on. I still need to get propane but according to the manual it still should come on with AC. It has the DC because the display initially lights when the coach Batteries are turned on??????
Rogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Looked back on Norcold post and found the problem was the safety recall that puts a sensing circuit in for overtemp. Did the reset with the circuit as the other posts said and all is well. One thing to note, for me the magnet reset did not work till I had the coach batteries on and the red light displayed.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Went back to the rig today. When I turn on the coach 12 volt power the fridge comes on and it will not shut off with the power selection held for the longer period. The only way I can get it to shut off is to turn off coach 12 volts. Not a show stopper for our trip but need to get it fixed. I saw on other links that it can be the brow board (the one behind the soft push buttons) or the control board. Not sure where the control board is located? Is it on the outside of the rig behind the fridge panel where the ignitor and the recall is mounted? How do I determine which of these boards are bad? We have a 1200 series Norcold model.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

These things are a pain when they don't work right.
The main control board is on the back of the fridge behind the vent door - it has a black cover screwed on over the board.
It does sound like a board, but can't tell you about troubleshooting. Although it does sound like your controls aren't connecting to the board if you can't shut it off or change modes from Auto to AC to LPG.
I would certainly remove the cover and inspect connections - perhaps something has come loose or is corroded or something simple like that. And yes, you should be able to turn it on with 12v power and switch to AC if plugged into shore power.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks CJ, I will look at all the connections on the control board. The only thing that does not work is the power on/off button and it will not shut it off. Can change modes and temps fine.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

You do have to hold the button for a few seconds for it to work - at least on my old N842 unit.
It could very well be that the button board on the front side is worn out - press REALLY hard. lol
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Been holding down on it for the required two or more seconds. It very well might be the actual button board. All the other buttons function. Seems I remember seeing something about jumpering two pins on the control board to determine if it is the button board or control board but I cant find that info now when I need it. We are leaving Friday for a two week trip so I probably will not mess with it till I get back since it is working now, just cant shut it off. Thanks
Old 11-28-2017, 04:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogh View Post
Looked back on Norcold post and found the problem was the safety recall that puts a sensing circuit in for overtemp. Did the reset with the circuit as the other posts said and all is well. One thing to note, for me the magnet reset did not work till I had the coach batteries on and the red light displayed.
Can you tell me how you reset it
Old 12-14-2017, 04:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Sorry to get back with you sooner. I reset it using a screw pickup magnet. I followed the procedure in this link. https://www.arprv.com/troubleshoot-norcold-recall.php
The only thing that I found was on mine it would not reset unless the unit had the 12 volts going to it. Hope this helps.

Tags
door, fridge, norcold