Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Noisy Water Pump

We love our new (to us) Adventurer and really don't have a lot of complaints or problems with it but one thing I really don't like is how loud our water pump is. This fall we were boondocking in a friend's yard for a couple of nights and woke them up every time we used any water. It works fine and has plenty of pressure, but is just annoyingly loud! Is this normal? Do they make higher quality replacement pumps or are they all somewhat on the loud side? I've thought of possibly rubber mounting it or building a soundproof box around it as it is quite embarassing!
Rod
Old 11-23-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Noisy Pump

It may not be a noisy pump at all...it could be loose mounts, or the mounts are torqued too tight, allowing the vibration to "travel" through adjacent structure. It could be a water distribution hose vibrating against something. The best way to diagnose this is to turn the pump on, allowing water to flow, and see if you can locate exactly where the noise is coming from. (Can be difficult sometimes) Good Luck!
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Rod,

Same thing happened in my 04 Journey. The pump seemed to vibrate everything inside the coach. Based upon the advice of others in the Forum I added two 24in loops in the water tubing--one at the inlet to the pump and one at the outlet of the pump. These loops serve as shock absorbers and prevent the water shock of the pump strokes from vibrating the entire water line in the RV. Both loops are required. I have been told that CW provides a kit that does the same thing. I made my own. It worked great thanks to other members of this forum who advised me.

Will send you a picture tomorrow.

jim & debbie, 04 journey 34H
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Rod,

Our pump is noisy too. Or at least the pipes are. I have helped reduce the noise by following the pipes and adding pipe insulation at the places where the pipe hits the wall, openning, or each other. I removed the speakers in the outside entertainment and got great access to the pipes. I had my skinniest grand-daughter climb in the storage area to add pipe insulation where she could. I have helped reduce the noise, but it still seems to come and go.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 11-24-2010, 12:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarchman53 View Post
We love our new (to us) Adventurer and really don't have a lot of complaints or problems with it but one thing I really don't like is how loud our water pump is. This fall we were boondocking in a friend's yard for a couple of nights and woke them up every time we used any water. It works fine and has plenty of pressure, but is just annoyingly loud! Is this normal? Do they make higher quality replacement pumps or are they all somewhat on the loud side? I've thought of possibly rubber mounting it or building a soundproof box around it as it is quite embarassing!
Rod
my water pump gets air in it easily and makes more noise when the tank is low on water.
every time i fill the tank, i open the water drain valve and drain about 2 gallons of water with the pressure fill hose hooked up and on (pump off) as i am filling the tank. this gets the air out of my pump and it is quiet until i run the water tank low again.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quieting water pump

Note incoming and outgoing flexible loops. Also pump attached to two kneeling pads resting, not attached, on floor. Those pads now rest on an additional two inches of stiff pillow foam I got from WM.

PS:It is a ShurFLo 5.7
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Waterpump.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	6774  
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I added the ShurFlo noise reduction kit (really just two hoses to delink the water pump vibration from the semi-rigid pipes) and the small ShurFlo accumulator tank. I also made sure that the pump itself was securely fastened to the wall. This made a huge difference.

I also added the noise reduction kit to the Tioga and the improvement was even more dramatic as it has rigid pipes that really vibrate.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

All, here are my pictures as promised. Sounds like Bruce and Rocky did what I did. Rocky--nice pictures. Bruce I also like your accumulator tank idea.
In my picture you can see that I added a carpet insulator between chasis and pump to reduce vibration. The two loops are easily seen. The copper pipe is a water line shock absorber designed for water line shocks caused by washing machines. I do not believe that the shock absorber is really needed.
Hope this helps.
jim & debbie, 04 Journey 34H
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water pump vibration fix.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	6777  
Old 11-24-2010, 06:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks you guys! You all have given me a lot of info to process. I have the MH winterized right now as we live in Minnesota, so the project will have to wait 'til spring, but I can get a running start on my plans. Thanks Jim and Rocky for the pics!
Rod
Old 11-28-2010, 10:49 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Hi All,

Do I see from the pictures that all the noisy pumps are mounted horizontal? Sounds like you may have an air lock in the top one, two, or three of the 5 chambers of the 5.7. I have that pump installed in our Horizon and have no noise problems and great water flow. Try remounting (if possible) to the vertical position. This allows for even input and output of water to each of the chambers preventing an air lock in the topmost chamber. Ours is mounted ‘chambers down’ and the instructions do not suggest mounting a pump ‘chambers up’.

If air does get into our pump, as when the fresh tank is empty, the pump will get a little noisy but only lasting till a short time after the tank is refilled and the air is bled out of the chambers. Since I usually run water in the sinks and toilet to mix the deodorant, I never have a noise issue during use. Flow is sufficient to run both sinks and the toilet at the same time.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Mark for the input. Something for me to keep in mind the next time I have pump noise problems.

jim & debbie, 04 Journey, 34H
Old 03-26-2011, 04:19 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmccreary View Post
Rod,

Same thing happened in my 04 Journey. The pump seemed to vibrate everything inside the coach. Based upon the advice of others in the Forum I added two 24in loops in the water tubing--one at the inlet to the pump and one at the outlet of the pump. These loops serve as shock absorbers and prevent the water shock of the pump strokes from vibrating the entire water line in the RV. Both loops are required. I have been told that CW provides a kit that does the same thing. I made my own. It worked great thanks to other members of this forum who advised me.

Try something softer that the poly....maybe a firm foam and how about asking to move pump away from the wall??

kidashley25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:39 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidashley25 View Post
Try something softer that the poly....maybe a firm foam and how about asking to move pump away from the wall??

Thanks kidashley25. Some good points to think about next time it acts up.

jim & debbie, 04 Journey 34H