Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2019, 09:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Noisy Water Heater

Our 5th season in our 2014 Vista 35B. We have a new noise coming from the water heater whenever we turn the hot on using any faucet. It's a fairly loud buzzing sound. I've accessed the heater by removing the drawer behind it in the kitchen. Nothing is leaking or appears to be vibrating. Everything is working, just have this new noise. Has anyone else exprienced this? Thoughts?

Thanks,
Andy Haiduck
haiduan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Have you recently winterized and un-winterized your RV? There could be an air bubble trapped somewhere or a line hitting somewhere else. Sound can travel from one location to another pretty easily.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

there is a check valve on the out-let side of your hot water tank. could be dirt or calcium build up in it, but you will probably have to replace it. it is not expensive, but you will have to be pretty agile to reach it. turn tank off and drain the water first so that you do not burn yourself.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:52 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Let it sit turned off for a while before trying to drain it or run out the hot water through the faucets. RV water heaters with a standard thermostat run a lot hotter than the one in your house. I think the typical range 150 - 160 degrees F.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf View Post
there is a check valve on the out-let side of your hot water tank. could be dirt or calcium build up in it, but you will probably have to replace it. it is not expensive, but you will have to be pretty agile to reach it. turn tank off and drain the water first so that you do not burn yourself.

This is correct. You can also remove it, pull the guts out and screw it back in (this is what I did). It is the lower of the 2 water connections on the heater. You can also replace it but it may mean you'll have to go through this all over again. Mine is hard to reach...lying on the floor, bent over on my side and reaching way into to the space...not fun at all!
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2013 Sightseer. It has two check valves one on the inlet and the other at the outlet side. These can make buzzing type noise. I replaced them and the noise was significantly reduced.
Dr Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:01 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

My hot water heater started making noise after about 8 months. The dealer replaced the two check valves under warranty, no more noise. After about another year, same noise.

I purchased two check valves to replace them whenever the hot water flow might finally stop. That was 6 years ago, never have replaced the valves yet.

And, amazingly, not wanting to jinx myself, but the sound has quieted greatly in the last few weeks, and I notice that it doesn't seem to take as long as before to get hot water flowing to faucets and the shower.

So, if the sound isn't too annoying, you might get the replacement valve for when it will be needed, and wait??

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater