Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-11-2019, 05:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Noise when running water

We have a 2018 Intent. When any water faucet is opened, there is a loud groaning sound in the wall near the toilet that stops when water stops running. It happens every time and is not air in the system. It also happens with or without a pressure regulator. Any ideas? Thanks, Chandler
Cpy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Noise when faucet turned on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpy2 View Post
We have a 2018 Intent. When any water faucet is opened, there is a loud groaning sound in the wall near the toilet that stops when water stops running. It happens every time and is not air in the system. It also happens with or without a pressure regulator. Any ideas? Thanks, Chandler
Following this question. I also hear a noise when a faucet is turned on, as if the pump is running (but pump is not on).
Old 04-11-2019, 07:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. The noise occurs without the pump on...just connected to city water.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

In our rig, the water hammer arrestor is in that general area. Water hammer is usually a "banging" rather than a "groan". If your arrestor seems to be in good shape, see if there is a gate valve in the line. Not likely, but......

Gate valves are isolation valves and should be open or shut but are not to be used for throttling. Partway open they will often chatter (groan). Open its valve bonnet see if its packing is in good shape. Normally one or more neoprene washers. Occaissionally, string packing. Tighten the bonnet enough to cause a little resistance to valve stem turning.

Look for any globe valves (most common) in the lines. Tightening the bonnets may eliminate stem seat to body seat vibration. If not, pull the bonnet, pull the valve stem, check the body seat for nicks, check the stem seat neoprene washers to see if cracked or have sand embedded in neoprene. In any case, replace the stem seat neoprene washer.

If ceramic cartridge rather than neoprene stem seats, inspect the cartridge and valve body seat for wear or scratches. The bonnets on ceramic cartridges can loosen over time also, allowing the cartridge to chatter against its seat.

My last WAG is the valve spring on your shore water check valve. May have weakened allowing chattering between the stem and body seats.

With all the flexible piping we all carry, often difficult to trace sound sources. As the old song goes "the music goes 'round and 'round, and it comes out here"

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Oh dear; I'll print this and show DH. I'm lost! Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the ideas! I will check them out.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Where are these globes and hammers located? Hubby Neil has no idea. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2019, 03:28 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Go to General Maintenance and Repair forum. There is a sticky note that links you to electrical, plumbing, etc diagrams. Find the potable water diagram for your year and model and look there. Don't know your exact model, but I chose two and looked.

Seems the Intents have a really great convienent Hot/Cold water manifold. Most of your globe valves located nearby. Looks like you have a combo arrestor/vacuum break beneath kitchen and lavatory sinks.

Globe valves are the most common valve in your sticks n bricks. Easily rebuilt if leaking by (replace neoprene washer or cartridge) Gate valves are more maintenance free and usually are the main shutoff valve from city supply to house.

Good Hunting!

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2019, 04:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Probably the backflow valve where the fresh water connects. One try reseating the valve by pushing the middle of the valve (water hose off). If that does not help replace the valve and that should do it.
slick60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:18 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

X2 for the backflow (or one-way) valve somewhere near where the city water enters. Our buzzes and moans and is quite loud. Its job is to keep your water from flowing back to the city, so you need it.

I just live with the noise, as I know what it is... but you might want to get it replaced. If you do, get a good one, because the cheap ones make noise!

Best of luck.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:56 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Cheap pressure regulators also can groan as can the one way flow valves on the city water inlet and water heater.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:56 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Same noise

I have the same noise. It is the back flow preventer at the inlet water to your trailer. I tried to push it back but it was worse. I have learned to live with it. I look at as “Hey, my water is flowing”.
Goneagain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:40 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

2 check valves

You actually have 2 check valves in your system. One at the inlet where city water collects and one at the back of the hot water heater. They both have an "o" ring. It is possible that one of the "o" rings came off and landed at a place and when the water flows it vibrates in the flow of water. If it is the one at the city connection you will know when you disconnect the city water hose and run the pump (it will leak), The other one is a crap shoot. Good luck.
PORCHDOG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise, water