Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-25-2018, 08:15 AM   #1
Winnie the Wego
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 10
No water pressure on city line

Hi All,

So after reading through some general info I saw this:

"The pump should only run if you're not on city water (i.e., requiring water from the potable tank) and a water-using item is open (sink faucets, toilet, shower, outside faucet). If there's no demand for water, the pump should shut off."

That is exactly how I thought it was supposed to work, however, when I hooked up to water at a local campgrounds, the water trickled out unless I had the pump on. I don't want to burn out the pump but what could be happening here? The water comes on with pressure but withing a couple of seconds is just a trickle. I have checked to make sure there isn't any kink in the hose and the water source was fully open. I even disconnected and turned the source faucet full on and there appeared to be sufficient pressure.

I have only been out a couple of times (new - to me -2006 Winnie View H) and it appeared to work the first time. Same campground, different site.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pam
pmoniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Master
 
jerichorick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Full-timer/volunteer w/SOWERS
Posts: 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoniz View Post
Hi All,

So after reading through some general info I saw this:

"The pump should only run if you're not on city water (i.e., requiring water from the potable tank) and a water-using item is open (sink faucets, toilet, shower, outside faucet). If there's no demand for water, the pump should shut off."

That is exactly how I thought it was supposed to work, however, when I hooked up to water at a local campgrounds, the water trickled out unless I had the pump on. I don't want to burn out the pump but what could be happening here? The water comes on with pressure but withing a couple of seconds is just a trickle. I have checked to make sure there isn't any kink in the hose and the water source was fully open. I even disconnected and turned the source faucet full on and there appeared to be sufficient pressure.

I have only been out a couple of times (new - to me -2006 Winnie View H) and it appeared to work the first time. Same campground, different site.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pam
Hi Pam,
Are you new to this type of RV? No problem. We all start from someplace. I came out of a popup tent trailer some many years in the past before I got into full time RVing in a class A DP.
Two things come to mind. One: Your city water input connection has a check valve built in. It may be broken. These are easy to replace and can be gotten at Walmart's RV section, Amazon, Camping World, etc. Second: Is your fill selector in the correct position? Third: The fill selector could be bad and it needs to be replaced. Fourth: When on city water keep your pump off unless the supply has low pressure. Fifth: If the water tank is empty your pump will run continuously when you turn it on.
I hope these points help. Let us know what you find.
Happy trails.
Rick
__________________
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson (RIP), 2011 Meridian 40U, FL XCL, ISL 380HP/DEF, Al 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox TruCenter & tow equip.,EEZTire TPMS.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:40 AM   #3
Winnie the Wego
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 10
Thanks Rick, yes my newbie must be showing! The fill selector was in the correct position. I will get a new fill selector and input connection check valve and try replacing them (hopefully not too difficult).

Really appreciate the assistance.

Pam
pmoniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Master
 
powercat_ras's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Manhattan, Kansas USA
Posts: 627
It is a pretty simple system that Winnebago uses.

There is a check valve in the city water female hose connector. Water can not back flow out the city water hose connector unless the check valve fails.

The back of the connector goes to the cold water lines in the RV.

When the water selector switch is in the TANK FILL position the cold water line in the RV is connected to a fill port on top of the water tank. So if you have the pump switch on all the water pumped out of the fresh water tank goes right back into the top of the fresh tank in a loop.

Even if you have connected to city water if the pump switch is on with the selector switch in TANK FILL the pump will run because the pressure due to the wide open water line into the fill port of the tank creates a pressure that is less than the water pump pressure switch.

Most Winnebagos have a pump switch near the City Water Inlet so you can just switch the pump off there if you are adding water thru the City Water Inlet / switch set to TANK FILL.
__________________
Randy - Manhattan, Kansas
2015 Vista 27N
2016 Honda HR-V
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Master
 
jerichorick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Full-timer/volunteer w/SOWERS
Posts: 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoniz View Post
Thanks Rick, yes my newbie must be showing! The fill selector was in the correct position. I will get a new fill selector and input connection check valve and try replacing them (hopefully not too difficult).

Really appreciate the assistance.

Pam
Pam, these are PEX fittings. The white nut on the pipe at the fitting screws back off. The hard part is getting the plastic pipe off the fitting. You can try warming it up with a hair dryer. This may soften the pipe enough to pull it off. But, if you have enough slack in the pipe it is better to cut it off tight to the fitting and start fresh.

The problem is getting the correct valve. In my case, my replacement was simple because it was only an in and out, 2 port valve. I used a simple ball valve to replace it. Some of the rigs use a 3 way valve. I hope someone will help here if that is what you have. I know metal ones are made but I don't recall where I saw them.
My bet the problem is the diverter valve and not the city water hookup check valve. The diverter is really poorly made.

I tried to find the valve in your coach plumbing diagram in the Winnebago Resources but had no luck. Eyes too old and the morning is to young I guess.
Just had one other thought. It looks like you have 2 winterizing 3 way valves. Look and see if they got turned some how. That would effect your water flow.

Keep us posted.
Rick
__________________
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson (RIP), 2011 Meridian 40U, FL XCL, ISL 380HP/DEF, Al 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox TruCenter & tow equip.,EEZTire TPMS.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner
 
workinrvers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Black Hills, South Dakota
Posts: 90
I would change the city water inlet first (easier to do) and see if that solves your problem. These often freeze if the rig was winterized by pumping RV antifreeze through the pump and you do not manually open the valve (just push it with your finger) and let a little antifreeze flow back out the connection. I have forgotten this step myself and had to change mine out the next spring. These valves are pretty simple spring operated and do fail on their own occasionally.
__________________
Phil and Rudee
'02 Winnebago Journey, '07 Dakota, '11 HD Ultra
http://workinrvers.blogspot.com/
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Master
 
SarahW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 881
Pam--you might also check the little aerator screens on each faucet. Sometimes they get clogged up and just need to be cleaned, though that would cause a limited flow at the clogged faucet only and not the entire coach.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:45 AM   #8
Winnie the Wego
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 10
Wow thanks everyone! So nice to be able to ask these questions and have so much interest in helping. I will look at all of the options listed above. I may limp along for the first trip and then, when time permits, look at the fixes listed. I will be sure to let you all know what it was.

thanks,
Pam
pmoniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:19 AM   #9
Winnebago Master
 
jerichorick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Full-timer/volunteer w/SOWERS
Posts: 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Pam--you might also check the little aerator screens on each faucet. Sometimes they get clogged up and just need to be cleaned, though that would cause a limited flow at the clogged faucet only and not the entire coach.
Good point Sarah. I have had that problem. Also had a problem with the screens in the hose plugging. (I do the forums too early in the morning. Takes a while for the brain to catch up with the body!)
__________________
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson (RIP), 2011 Meridian 40U, FL XCL, ISL 380HP/DEF, Al 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox TruCenter & tow equip.,EEZTire TPMS.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:20 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise
 
bobmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 470
You might want to be absolutely sure that the settings for the water in the service compartment align with the info in your 06 Owners Manual. By the sounds of you use to date, something in the compartment may have been changed. Good luck,
__________________
Bob
09 Journey 39Z
Southern Ontario
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:20 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner
 
bamaboy473's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Gulf Coast, Alabama
Posts: 59
As a visitor to this site because learning is a good thing, let me suggest that you don't need to fear whether the pump is On or Off if city water is being sourced. You can't hurt things by having both city water pressure in addition to the pressure that the pump provides. It's noisy, but not problematic...

As far as the valves for whether water goes to a tank or a faucet or elsewhere, once again, try every way you can think of (in some order, we hope) because you aren't going to blow up the Enterprise by moving the levers for water.

Whatever you learn, you're pretty safe with the water system.
__________________
Rick and Sandy
2003 American Eagle, 52K miles
bamaboy473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:17 AM   #12
Winnebago Master
 
jerichorick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Full-timer/volunteer w/SOWERS
Posts: 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
As a visitor to this site because learning is a good thing, let me suggest that you don't need to fear whether the pump is On or Off if city water is being sourced. You can't hurt things by having both city water pressure in addition to the pressure that the pump provides. It's noisy, but not problematic...

As far as the valves for whether water goes to a tank or a faucet or elsewhere, once again, try every way you can think of (in some order, we hope) because you aren't going to blow up the Enterprise by moving the levers for water.

Whatever you learn, you're pretty safe with the water system.
Rick & Sandy, thanks for dropping by.
This is a general and common problem with RVs as you probably know, poor water pressure from city connection. Once that is resolved the rig will be less likely to run the dank dry. It is not good for the pump.
I have noticed that if I try to fill my tank with the pump on it will run continually. I must shut it off when filling.

When incoming pressure is low, when on well water as I am now on, keeping the pump on does help keep the water pressure more stable. But I still have to watch the tank because I am draining it, even though at a slower rate. Forgot we were using it once and was reminded when I heard it running non stop.

Thanks for bringing back memories.
Happy trails,
Rick
__________________
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson (RIP), 2011 Meridian 40U, FL XCL, ISL 380HP/DEF, Al 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox TruCenter & tow equip.,EEZTire TPMS.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
water


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power Management - Line 1 Line 2 vegasmun Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 3 09-23-2017 04:12 AM
Water pump line pressure fastwhls Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures 8 07-13-2017 05:50 PM
No water pressure inside mh on city water capdata Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures 10 02-16-2014 05:00 PM
Low city water pressure - why? rwbed1 Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures 8 01-03-2012 08:53 AM
Winnebago moves top-of-the-line diesel unit production to Forest City RonTon Winnebago General Discussions 13 10-27-2005 02:54 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×