Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2011, 01:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

No water, internal or city?

Thought I was having a water pump problem as it did not turn on immediately under demand as it usually does. I’d turn the pump switch off, wait a few moments, and immediately after turning it back on, walla, I could hear the pump run and had normal water pressure. Then, the moments took a minute or two, and then nothing so I assumed my 6 week old new ShurFlow pump has failed or the pressure sensor within the pump has failed.

Hooked up to city water using a pressure reducer and took a what turned out to be a very low flow shower.

Out and about for a bit then back to the RV and now NO WATER, hot or cold. Checked that city water and pressure is there in the hose. Wiggled the Normal/Fill switch and don’t hear the normal rush of water to tank.

Could I have a check valve problem somewhere that is affecting water supply from BOTH city water supply and internal tank supply that is causing the problem? Do you know where it is? I’m stumped, ready to buy new pump, but think something else is may be wrong that I’m missing ---- something common to both internal and external water sources. And DW is upset again!
Old 08-20-2011, 01:47 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
Thought I was having a water pump problem as it did not turn on immediately under demand as it usually does. I’d turn the pump switch off, wait a few moments, and immediately after turning it back on, walla, I could hear the pump run and had normal water pressure. Then, the moments took a minute or two, and then nothing so I assumed my 6 week old new ShurFlow pump has failed or the pressure sensor within the pump has failed.

Hooked up to city water using a pressure reducer and took a what turned out to be a very low flow shower.

Out and about for a bit then back to the RV and now NO WATER, hot or cold. Checked that city water and pressure is there in the hose. Wiggled the Normal/Fill switch and don’t hear the normal rush of water to tank.

Could I have a check valve problem somewhere that is affecting water supply from BOTH city water supply and internal tank supply that is causing the problem? Do you know where it is? I’m stumped, ready to buy new pump, but think something else is may be wrong that I’m missing ---- something common to both internal and external water sources. And DW is upset again!
It would not shock anyone if a new shurflo pump, particularly the 5.7 gpm model, failed even after only a few weeks. Lots of issues with Shurflo reliability/longevity are well documented throughough irv2. But the city water problem?? I would start at the very basic level to make sure you actually have water flowing to your coach. Unhook the hose from the MH but leave everything else the same, including your pressure regulator and turn on city water. Do you have water flowing outside? May sound silly to check this but I stayed at a Colorado state park and couldn't get any water to come out of the faucet until a ranger showed me the "trick" that you had to do to get water flowing. If you do have water coming out of the hose when disconnected from the MH, then you are probably on the right track in your troubleshooting/diagnosis.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:01 AM   #3

When troubleshooting water, you must start at the water source, the spigot. Then next to the water pressure regulator, then the hoses, then the City/Water Fill valve, filters, screens, etc. One step at a time, and you will eventually find the problem or clog.

The Shur-Flo water pump most likely isn't causing any of this but in my opinion, they are a piece of junk. I won't have one in my coach. I have an Aqua-Jet, a little more expensive but you get what you pay for. It is over 10 year old and still puts out superior water pressure and flow.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Do you have a whole house filter in coach?

Maybe the filter needs to be changed.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:03 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Bad Pressure Reducer Valve and intermittant ShureFlow pump so problem solved.
I tap on the pump and it tries to sputter.
Removing ithe Pressure Recuction valve provided water to fill tank but the pressure is so high I'm reluctant to use the source without a new valve. (Where did I hear that Itasca had a built in Pressure reduction Gizmo?)
One of the reasons I replaced the original with same Shurflow pump was three year warrantee. It just doesn't help me much 168 miles from Camping World. And the new pump is just slightly different than the original built in 2005 so I can't interchange parts, darn! The old motor was working fine.
Thanks you all for the help.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Removing ithe Pressure Recuction valve provided water to fill tank but the pressure is so high I'm reluctant to use the source without a new valve. (Where did I hear that Itasca had a built in Pressure reduction Gizmo?)
One of the reasons I replaced the original with same Shurflow pump was three year warrantee. It just doesn't help me much 168 miles from Camping World. And the new pump is just slightly different than the original built in 2005 so I can't interchange parts, darn! The old motor was working fine.
Does the pressure reducer valve have a filter screen on the inlet end? We had an incident a couple years ago where the campground spigot had a shut off valve at the threaded end of the outlet. Our pressure reducer had a filter screen on the inlet. The screen pushed up on the shutoff in the spigot and stopped the water flow. The simple solution was to remove the hose gasket from the regulator, pop out the screen and reinstall the gasket.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
One of the reasons I replaced the original with same Shurflow pump was three year warrantee.
DW likes the flow from the Shurflo 5.7, but I always have a "backup" smaller pump on board. I think I am on the 6th warranty replacement 5.7 pump. I can change it out in the dark in just a few minutes ...been there more than once!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap
DW likes the flow from the Shurflo 5.7, but I always have a "backup" smaller pump on board. I think I am on the 6th warranty replacement 5.7 pump. I can change it out in the dark in just a few minutes ...been there more than once!
Well now I have a SUREflow 2.4 hooked up and sometime in the future will have the 5.7 back in there. The 2.4 costs close to the same as a rebuild kit for my original pump, (which I haven't found a place to order from yet), and was imediately available. DW very pleased!

The only real difference I can detect is in the flow rate at shower head. The 5.7 does have a variable rate and rated at 65 psi vs. 45 psi for the smaller cousin. And that's where the $70 vs $190 makes the difference.

I'll post my experience dealing with the SUREflo warranty. I'm not near a Camping World where I purchased the current failed pump with build date of 3/11.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
RE: Water Pressure Regulators.. Go to your favorite building supply store and purchase a whole house water pressure regulator. They work very well. Watts makes then as does Watkins. Install whatever fittings you need. You will never need to buy those *&(%$ things from Wallmart or Camping World again.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water