Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-03-2005, 10:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2002 Journey 36GD......this morning, no water flow at all from any hot water faucets.....opened drain to Atwood water heater and after draining I found no water was entering tank.....could there be a cold water check valve stuck...if so, where is it located?....on bypass, cold water does flow from the hot water side of the faucets....is there any electrical reset that would reopen the valve.....any help would be appreciated...thanks RKL:
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2002 Journey 36GD......this morning, no water flow at all from any hot water faucets.....opened drain to Atwood water heater and after draining I found no water was entering tank.....could there be a cold water check valve stuck...if so, where is it located?....on bypass, cold water does flow from the hot water side of the faucets....is there any electrical reset that would reopen the valve.....any help would be appreciated...thanks RKL:
Old 03-03-2005, 11:28 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

RKL, there is a check valve on top of the water heater. Other members here have had the same problem recently. I understand it's a fun one to get at.

Use the FIND function to search under No Hot Water or Water Heater - you'll see the responses. Click here
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 03:33 PM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Captain Bud and I just diagnosed his problem, his water heater was able to take in cold water however when selected from the tap to run hot, he would get a minuscule burst of warm water then cold.

What was found was that the check valve was in backward and the spring in the check valve was missing. The check valve in question was also located on the bottom of the water heater.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Driver....the winne tech told me that starting in 2002 on the Journey model 36GD the check valve was relocated to the main plumbing cabinet and installed in the cold water line feeding the waterheater...tech said that is why no water is entering the WH even when drained..The WH on this model is below the floor and behind the rear pass tire and no water lines are visable at all...I could not find the check valve in the 2002 plumbing specs in the water cabinet...and will pull the cabinet cover tomorrow to check it...any insite would be appreciated...thanks RKL
Old 03-04-2005, 06:39 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

RKL,

I was just looking over the plumbing prints for the water heater. You might already have these, but here's the link anyway.

Plumbing Diagram 36GD

Plumbing Callouts

The only check valve I can see is V6 which is located at the water heater shown in detail view F on sheet 5 of the print.

I hate to say this, because I know how hard it is to get up behind the rear of the water heater, but that's where I think your problem is. As a last resort, before tearing apart the water panel, you might be able to look down into the water cabinenet by removing the bottom drawer in the bedroom chest of drawers. There is an opening under the bottom drawer leading into the back of the water cabinent. Using a mirror and flashlight you can probably see if there is a check valve present as the Winnie tech told you. According to the dwgs, though it should be at the water heater.

Let us know where you find it, as if the dwgs aren't correct, it be handy to know exactly where the valve is.

Joe
Old 03-06-2005, 05:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Joe K...the cold water in check valve is at the tank. The hot water out check valve is in the plumbing compartment where the city water hook up is....Winne tech said just the opposite..I replaced the cold water check valve which was broken and loose by simply removing the broken pieces and reinserting the empty brass fitting...I don't winterize being a snowbird so it works well. . If the tank leaks I can reroute the plumbing lines at the bypass till I get a new check valve from winne...Camping World didn't have a replacement check valve...the good news was that Winne put an access plate on the bottom of the built in water heater compartment so we didn't have to pull the tank and the disconnect the motor aid lines. Score one for Winne......thanks for the help....RKL