Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2016, 11:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

No hot water pressure 2008 Adventurer

Hot water had been working good got to new campground turned on hot water no pressure or water flow on hot water side or in shower, turned bypass to bypass and got water flow though cold on both sides of faucet and shower any ideas for fix so we can continue trip? Mike Grimes
Mike Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 02:59 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Calcium Buildup?

Do you get water out of the pressure relief valve on the H/W tank? Since the bypass provides you with water, sounds like something blocking from the bypass through the tank. Break the connection at the downstream side of the tank and see if you get flow.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Grimes View Post
Hot water had been working good got to new campground turned on hot water no pressure or water flow on hot water side or in shower, turned bypass to bypass and got water flow though cold on both sides of faucet and shower any ideas for fix so we can continue trip? Mike Grimes
It sounds like one of the check valves is stuck. There are 2 check valves in the system. One prevents hot water from flowing back into the fresh water tank. The other prevents cold water from a faucet flowing back into the water heater when only the cold is on. Depending on where your water heater is located you might be able to find the offending check valve. Ours are located at the inlet and outlet ports of the water heater. However the ports on our water heater is all but impossible to get to without removing the heater.

If you can get to the valves a light tap on the side may loosen the check ball. Be careful not to hit them too hard. Bothe they and the connectors are plastic and could break.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

No hot water pressure

Yes I do get hot water out of pressure relief when I open it. I looked at where hot water heater is mounted and looks like I can take a panel off and get to it. Any idea what that valve looks like? I looked on Winnebago plumbing drawing last night and couldn't tell by the drawings. Thanks for the suggestion about tapping on that to see if will open up.
Mike
Old 07-24-2016, 07:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

No hot water pressure

Additional question how do you tell input side and output side of water heater?
Old 07-24-2016, 07:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Had simiular problem, turned out to be a check valve . The plastic insert is probably stuck shut. Mine is located in the top back of the hwt, I can get to it through an access panel on top of the compartment. If you can't get a valve you can punch out the plastic .

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:08 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

No hot water pressure

I assume you mean punch out the center of the valve? Appreciate the information from everyone
Mike
Old 07-24-2016, 08:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Yes I do get hot water out of pressure relief when I open it. I looked at where hot water heater is mounted and looks like I can take a panel off and get to it. Any idea what that valve looks like? I looked on Winnebago plumbing drawing last night and couldn't tell by the drawings. Thanks for the suggestion about tapping on that to see if will open up.
Mike
If you get water out of the heater when the pressure relief is opened it's got to be the check valve on the outlet side that's stuck.

Here's a link to an Atwood service manual:

http://manuals.adventurerv.net/Atwoo...er-Service.pdf

As shown on page 26 the cold water inlet is on the bottom and the hot water outlet is on the top. Be careful when attempting to free up the check valve. Not only is the valve itself plastic, but the nipple that connects it to the heater is also plastic. We had the nipple on the inlet side in our 2001 Adventurer crack. It was a miserable job to extract it. When I did get it out I replaced it with a brass one.

In our 2001 Adventurer the valve could be disassembled. I don't know if the later model years are the same. If you do decide to knock out the check valve portion I would consider it a temporary repair at best. When on city water the pressure may be great enough that the cold water doesn't allow the hot to flow, or the cold water may bleed back into the heater. If either happens there will still be no hot water flow. Eventually the air gap might be eliminated and water could come out the relief valve. Also if you winterize the water system the antifreeze will be able to back up into the water heater.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:21 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

No hot water pressure

Thanks for the information and link appreciate everyone's help
Mike
Old 07-24-2016, 08:56 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I assume you mean punch out the center of the valve? Appreciate the information from everyone
Mike
Yes , but without the check valve it will affect winterizing .

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:26 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

This is what a check valve on my 2000 Horizon looks like.
Google this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Cost less than $10 at Amazon.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent, water, water pressure